Tyre size again

dejongj

Reaction score
Finally bought some wheels, only 18" RS6 replicas but the price was too good to let them pass by as the chap never fitted them, were in the original boxes and sealed and now no longer had the Audi. So £155 for 4 brand new JW/VIA/DOT approved ones on ET35 is pretty good I thought.

Anyway, as they are 18x8 ET35 should I still put 235/40R18 on them, or would 225/40R18 look better? Mine is a 2004 3.0 Quattro Sport Cabriolet...

I usually just put the 225's on that size wheel.

04 plate come with 235's but 225 are cheaper and still look good m8

Cheers guys. Yes they are considerably cheaper, and I was wondering whether the 235 with the ET35 would be sticking out a little.

no m8 they would look sweet but i just changed to 225's for cost aswell

Thank you. Any tips for for good price on tyres?

I am so tempted by going for four Neuton NT5000's, they have rave reviews on quite a number of forums and full compliance with the ITQG rating scheme.

Hmmm. The cheapest tyre I would consider on a car are the Falken FK452's, had them a few times, and they are pretty good:

FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN FK452 FALKEN FK 452 - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL :: £73.00 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::deally I would be going for Avon ZZ3's:

AVON TYRES / CAR / AVON ZZ3 AVON ZZ 3 - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL :: £91.20 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::r had VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA before too, awesome tyre...

VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL :: £99.00 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::

Hmm in 225/40R18 the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 at £90 each look very interesting, or I used to have the Yokohama Parada Spec X on my 22" on the previous car which were great for about 37k miles....

But why do I have that niggle to want the original size tyre on it, 235/40R18 is so much more expensive...

Unless you're into the mysterious world of stretch and poke 235 section fit the wheels a lot better in my opinion.

It makes VERY little difference in all honesty. Dont have too many good pics, but here is a couple of a 225 tyre on a 8J rim

DSC_0183.jpg

30122008107.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

Thanks for that!

PS. Shame I didn't see your for sale thread as those 19" RS4 wheels and tyres are a very good price. Unless I sell my 18" wheels...hmmm

Open to a px though. I was meant to get a set of 18's to put winter tyres on for the avant...

LOL You are tempting me, but a shame your RS4's are ET45 I would have wanted to them to be ET35's to be honest....

Yeah, fair enough, saves running 10mm spacers.

In the end economy went out of the window :) I bought some pirelli zero rosso in 235/40R18 XL. I must admit that I am glad I didn't got 225 as the 235 is tight enough for me on 8J.

In the end economy went out of the window :) I bought some pirelli zero rosso in 235/40R18 XL. I must admit that I am glad I didn't got 225 as the 235 is tight enough for me on 8J.
i love my Pirelli toooooooooo
Had a set of Vredestein didn't last as long as my Pirelli's

I also came off Vredestein, I have the Ultrac Cento on the original 16" wheels. I really liked them and after having done 20k miles on them they still have at least 5mm left on the worst part anywhere.

I was offered a better deal on the 18" 235/40 Ultrac Sessanta but aren't so certain about them as an all round proposition and think the thread is hideous.

Locally with immediate availability it was really between the Pirelli ZR, Continental SC3, Michelin PS3 or Bridgestone RE050. All I can say is that I am not disappointed with the Pirelli's so far, as I haven't tried the others on this car I can't really tell whether they are better. So far they are good enough :)

Can you post a pic showing your 18" reps with the ET of 35, i am looking at a wheel change at the moment and quite fancied the ET 35 to fillthe arches and not have to run spacers, is it only reps that come in ET 35 or are the A3 ones around that?
Cheers
Matt

I also came off Vredestein, I have the Ultrac Cento on the original 16" wheels. I really liked them and after having done 20k miles on them they still have at least 5mm left on the worst part anywhere.

I was offered a better deal on the 18" 235/40 Ultrac Sessanta but aren't so certain about them as an all round proposition and think the thread is hideous.

Locally with immediate availability it was really between the Pirelli ZR, Continental SC3, Michelin PS3 or Bridgestone RE050. All I can say is that I am not disappointed with the Pirelli's so far, as I haven't tried the others on this car I can't really tell whether they are better. So far they are good enough :)
i had the Sessanta thier was good in the snow for summer tyres it must have been the screw like thread

Can you post a pic showing your 18" reps with the ET of 35, i am looking at a wheel change at the moment and quite fancied the ET 35 to fillthe arches and not have to run spacers, is it only reps that come in ET 35 or are the A3 ones around that?
Cheers
Matt

I've set them to upload to flickr in full res and link the picture in tonight.

So original wheels were 16x7J ET43 with winter size 205/55R16 Vredestein Ultrac Cento for comparison.

Massive improvement and they fill the arches nicely, looks like it's ET 35 i need then,thanks for pics,
Matt

Yes absolutely. ET35 is the way to go, even my wife commented on the better stance :)

Cheers
Matt

Matt, I think the A3 wheels tend to have offsets of 48 or more, I'm not aware of any OEM wheels with an ET of 35, they tend to jump from ET43 of the normal models to ET29 of the RS4.

I've not got a good 'before' pics, but have a look in my recent RS6 Refurb thread when I added the 8mm H&R spacers to the ET43 wheels, the stance is subtle but improved, when I lower it I think it will be even more noticeable.

yours looked good in the pics i saw James, my 17's have a ET of 45 and i have 8mm spacers up front and 10mm on the rear so running close to 35 all round and the satance is good, i don't really want reps but i also want to get away from spacers, however if things go the way they normally do for me that means i'll run genuine wheel with spacers:wacko: