Fed up with the smell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

montebaz

Reaction score
right does anyone know the cure to the stink that the air con makes now the warm weather
is here I,ve tried the cans that you release in the footwell and leave your motor running ect
but there must be a more lasting remedy. many thanks Baz

You can get the AirCon system serviced and regassed - oh and a new pollen filter.

air con need to be regased will get rid of all the smell. i no as i do air con at my garge :)

just had mine serviced, cleaned and regassed, now its ice cold and no smells, and it was only £66 at Awesome Gti

Its worth checking the evaporator drains aren't blocked if the smell remains.

Ye thanks everyone I've already changed the pollen filter so will get it re gassed and system serviced

I changed pollen filter and used the halfords release can but it still returns now and again. It's better since I read up that it's best to switch off the air con for the last two minutes of the journey as it's the retained moisture in the vents that harbours the germs and switching to econ/normal fan drys it out. I've also seen it recommended that you should use a spray with enzymes in to kill the germs properly.

I don't really see how a regas kills germs in the vents as the gas is in a sealed system? Unless a decontamination is carried out at the same time - but you need to ask for that seperately in most cases. If the temp of your air con is fine then choose the enzyme solution method as it's the retained moisture in the vents that's the problem and only enzymes will properly eat the mould.

I read somewhere never to turn the engine off with the air con on min as this can be a breading ground for germs etc and advised to give it a blast on the hi setting for a few minutes this removes the moisture in the vents etc and helps against the smell. I was going to get a air con service but did this and the smell has gone.

Where are the evaporater drains as well James ?

Sorry I've just seen this. These are the possible causes of aircon odours, and a guide to checking the drains:

Smell.jpg

smell2.jpg