A4 Caliper rebuild guide?

j033y

Reaction score
I was doing the front pads on my car at weekend as one side was sticking and wore through the pad quickly.

The boot on the piston was ripped so i think all the muck in the boot caused it too stick. managed to source a repair kit (Bigg Red) and will try and rebuild tonight.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of rebuilding calipers. is it going to be fun for me!

Any hints tips? it looks relatively straight forward, but i can see it all going wrong!!

Watch this space :scared2:

You may be able to free the piston by working it in and out with help from a wind back tool and someone to work the pedal.Did this recently with an Mr2 and then you can clean up and replace the boot without dismantling.If its completely seized you be better off getting a S/Hand one

How did it go?

Went well actually. was impressed with the new kit from Bigg Red.

The piston had the start of corrosion on it so would not retuen into the caliper. so took pads off and pushed it out fully using brake bedal.

Used green side of a cleaning sponge and some wet and dry for real rough bits of corrosion on caliper.

Used plenty of brake fluid as lube to put back together with new seal, a little fiddley, but it got there.

Made putting the caliper onto the disc nice and easy with it pushed fully in. then bled the system and fitted new pads to the other side.

The siezed caliper had worn the old pads to nothing, whereas the passenger side had about 75% remaining.

The brakes are much better now, so i am happy.