service

simon.m

Reaction score
ok so i serviced my car on the 24/6/2010 and iv only done around 4 to 5k in it to date and its saying it needs doing in 7 days so its every 8mths is this right i cant rember what the computer said when i first did it an reset it but though it was every 12mths as its not on long life services thanks guys

i think the interval really depends on the person and how you drive. thats my personal opinion.

i was doing the long life service, mainly because id have nothing to pay for every other year, but then realised that it would be more beneficial to get it serviced more regularly.

im currently going to get mine serviced, ie oil change, oil filter, fuel filter done every 5000-8000 miles or so. maybe over the top to some people, but i intend keeping my car for a long time so want it to be running as best as it can. i dont really pay much attention to the service light, tending to reset it as i know when it needs doing. i think it really acts as a reminder rather than YOU MUST SERVICE ME NOW!!! type of thing. id just reset it again.

i see what your saying mate iv been told tdi.s do like the oil to be keept clean and frish and no one or two ppl that change it every 6 mths no matter what ill change mine in a few weeks so would have done 5k by then it was more the point i think the dis/service light is cheatting and knocking days off of what it should be

Its not paranoia Simon, the service light is out to get YOU!

I think you can adjust the service light to countdown ie 9 months and 9k, or 9 months and 4.5k for a low mileage user etc.

thats good to no but if i rember right when i did it it said 290 some thing days or 9 k iv done just over 4k in 8 months so im gussing its ok then and not ******** lol

I'd need to check to say for sure, but I've a recollection you can set the time and distance to countdown separately. If so then that's probably your answer.

thanks james its strange as when i give the reg in for serviceing parts ie oil it shows up as its on long life yet the count down clearly is not lol also heard if you reset the service with the buttons on the dash it would rest the factory setting is this right

I'm not sure mate, I'd need to do some digging on it. Currently restricted to using my phone for the internet so I'm a bit restricted!

no worrys mate i just read worlords post on scotts thread and he says it rests it lol so its all good just dont get 8mth but not to worried now enjoy your day mate ;-)

Using Instrument button SRI reset will revert to "Fixed(1)" interval servicing and not "Longlife(2)"

Channel 2 of Instrument cluster module 17 will tell you what service interval is set.

Instrument Module 17 - Adaption Channels must be changed in the following order when changing from "Fixed" to "Longlife" service mode:
Channel:
45 [1=Fixed Interval / 2=Longlife]
42 [Min Mileage to Service(miles x 1000)]
43 [Max Mileage to Service (miles x 1000)]
44 [Max time to service (Days)]
40 [Mileage since service]
41 [Time since service (Days)]
46 [Total Consumption (Dist x100)]
47 [Diesel - Soot Quantity (??)]
48 [Diesel - Thermal Load (??)]

Not sure what the values are for diesels in Ch 47/48 as not experienced this.

If you have VAG-COM/VCDS then you can simply use the [Perform SRI] function which will reset your service indicator based on what is set in Channel 45.

You can obviously play around with the above figures to suit your own requirements.

thats handy mate thanks for all your help guys