Advice on buying an A4 avant

taztam

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have put my Golf GTI 25th anniversary tdi up for sale due to needing more boot space for our german shepard pup who is 5months old.

I am after an avant and will be going for a 1.8t hopefully in the 190 brake version as the golf has been chipped and want similar power. Yes i know the petrol will not have the same power delivery as my golf.

I am unsure at present whether to go for front wheel drive or quattro at present but will test drive both to decide.

I know the 1.8t has coil pack problems but is there anything else i should be looking out for?

I have read the post about water under the battery

Here is a pic of the pup
DSC02213.jpg

Here is the golf i am selling
DSC00441.jpg

Thanks for your help

Tam

1,8t 190hp is standart quattro;realy,you cant compare quattro with fwd!

Nice pup ;)

The 1.8T can have oil sludge issues, caused by longlife servicing and mixing of incorrect oils. Over time this will lead to the oil pick up in the sump blocking which will starve the engine of oil, leading to turbo damage and engine failure if left unchecked. Personally I'd allow £300 ish (?) to drop the sump, flush the engine and clean/replace the oil pick up. You'll know where you are then and have no issues.

I'd pick quattro myself, but equally, if the right car comes up in fwd I wouldn't automatically dismiss it as in most situations it will be fine.

1,8t 190hp is standart quattro;realy,you cant compare quattro with fwd!

Not too sure what that means, but to clarify the 1.8T 190 is available in quattro and fwd versions.

Not too sure what that means, but to clarify the 1.8T 190 is available in quattro and fwd versions.
1,8t 190hp is available only with quattro,the rest of 1,8t 150hp and 164hp are without quattro,just a few version 164hp with quattro.

1,8t 190hp is available only with quattro,the rest of 1,8t 150hp and 164hp are without quattro,just a few version 164hp with quattro.

I'll let you argue that one out with CMD then....

I dont want to argue with no one :);if im wrong,please show me 1,8t 190hp fwd ;)

Sorry Mate your wrong . The 190T comes in front wheel drive and Quattro both have a 6 speed box. This topic pops up every so often and like QJames stated last year this sort of topic should now become sticky as to give members the correct facts/information.

Nice pup ;)

The 1.8T can have oil sludge issues, caused by longlife servicing and mixing of incorrect oils. Over time this will lead to the oil pick up in the sump blocking which will starve the engine of oil, leading to turbo damage and engine failure if left unchecked. Personally I'd allow £300 ish (?) to drop the sump, flush the engine and clean/replace the oil pick up. You'll know where you are then and have no issues.

I'd pick quattro myself, but equally, if the right car comes up in fwd I wouldn't automatically dismiss it as in most situations it will be fine.

Thank you for your help

My father in law used to be a mechanic so he will give the car the once over whn i do get it. The golf has someone coming to look at it next weekend as i am working this weekend so gotta start test driving a few cars.
I have seen a couple o quattro and fwd versions with around 80000miles on the clock.

What kind of mpg do you get with a 1.8t?

I used to have a mk3 golf vr6 and used to get 8-9mpg with a very heavy right foot and have got used to the tdi returning 50mpg which the 1.8t will not be getting but don't want the 1.8t to have really bad mpg

Tam

I get 36.4ish on long journeys (light footed 70-75 mph) and around town 29's.

I have a 1.8 T 190 Sport and its definately NOT Quattro ! :)

I get 36.4ish on long journeys (light footed 70-75 mph) and around town 29's.

Yep, mine is averaging nearly 30mpg around town / thru heavy traffic on commute / school runs etc ... and over 35 -38mpg on long runs :)

I've got an avant 190 quattro sportline in Akoya silver ,its done around 80k with full service history just had full coil pack i've had engine flush before every oil change ,we average around 27 mpg around town and about 34 on the motorway .Its got half leather ,light pack ,i-pod connection ,good bridgestone potenza's on 18'' s6's and is in very good condition,I love it but the roads are that bad round my way i'm strugglng to enjoy it because you spend most of your time looking out for pot holes i think i need to trade it in for a ****** tractor!!!.Might be tempted to part with her if the price was right but then again i might come to my senses and change my mind ,what do you think lads.How much is she worth on an 04 plate?

I just looked in "owners manual" and 1,8t 190hp is bouth fwd and quattro;my bad:anbet: