First Stage Of Refurb.

CMD

Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Now the winter is coming to a end (hopefully) i have started to put the gears into motion and get my wheels ready for spring/summer i should have had them in for some custom painted centers ages ago. To save myself some money on the refurb process i said i would remove the plastic studs/rim bolts due to the work involved of masking or replacing.. I have sourced some stainless steel rim studs for these replica rims at a very good price at £4.50 for a a pack of 10.

Here's some pics.

The studs came out with ease,some just crushed when pressure was applied.
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Tiny little thing's.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Next weekend i will drop the wheels off for the next stage i have asked for the powder coated lips not to be refurbed as they are still corrosion free and are in very good condition even after two years+ I will be fitting the new stainless steel studs once the wheel have been custom painted.

I do like those wheels. What are you doing with the centres or is it classified?

Still a secret at the moment mate.

Look forward to seeing the results fella! Where did you manage to get the replacent studs from?

You have more chance of a sunny holiday in Libya tomorrow than him telling us the secrets! I think they will be bright orange! ;)

Lads a little help in identifying what size (roughly) these studs are.

Are they M6 or M7

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Well I just ordered the M6 so I will let you know, oh and I had to drill mine out due to them be made of ally not plastic.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

Last edited:
can i ask why you have taken the studs out guys was you both asked to ? also id go for the ones in the top link you posted 5th ones down see them on a jag look very nice

Last edited:
I removed my studs because i'm having the centers painted and masking of the studs or trying to key around them would have been a nightmare so removing them/replacing them ensures the centers paint will be perfect along with new stainless steel studs instead of plastic, is the way I wanted to go.

oh yeah i can see why was just wondering if you had been asked to take them out by the refuber i just put grease on them when i do them iv done a few on jags with them still get the same job done but like you say takes a bit longer to do them ;-)

Last edited:
As you said it saves time and most of all saves me money. The painter has had one wheel to have a practice on (Two week's now) as i want all five done, so i will drop up the other four this Saturday.

I like the ones in the 4th picture just what i'm looking for but maybe to late if we can't get a refund.

Big bucks to do all 5 wheel's. I may stick with the studs that we ordered.

Wheels looking great guys! Im after a set of LM's myself. Theres plenty on Ebay but i'm not sure of the quality, mind if i ask where you got yours from??

Ah okay great, funny u say that actually.. i had a look on that site earlier. Really like the wheels mate. Look forward to seeing them when they're all painted up!

Cheer's the guy doing mine said they should be ready by next weekend so i'm already biting my nails as i can't wait.

So a little update on this my overdue BBS LM rep's refurb. I'm still waiting for my my wheels to be finished (over 6 weeks now) have been told that they should be ready for tomorrow (not holding my breath) but i'm fully booked this weekend due to detailing a car. I have however managed to drop the stainless steel studs off for powder coating (not the same guy who's doing my wheel's).

100% Stainless Steel Fake Split Rim Studs
IMG_0148.jpg

Myself and docurley aka David both bought these stud's. At first i was not to happy with them as they are alot different looking from the BBS style of wheel stud/bolt but after test fitting them i thought i may as well stick with them as the other options were buy bbs stud's and cut them down which David as now done or opt for the plastic chrome option again. I thought long and hard on whether or not to keep them stainless steel or have them powder coated, I thought i would have the studs powder coated Satin Black as my grill's and window trim's are also black and the stud's should go well with the new coloured centers.

Satin Black .
IMG_0239.jpg

Last edited:
They cost me £20 cash.

After waiting 3 months for my wheels to have there new look, i had a phone call yesterday saying my wheels are ready for collection. I still have a fair bit of work to do on them, like fitting/bonding the studs into place (any ideas ) , center cap design (undecided) and a good clean before sealing them with Gtechniq C5 and then i can add some rubber.. I'm a happy chappy now.

Some folk may not like what i have done to these wheels, and will argue that i have wasted time and money on replica wheels, but i have had these wheels since 2009 and yes they are on most VAG cars now day's but i think they look great on our A4's and i wanted to try something new..

New Coloured Center's
IMG_0653-2.jpg

Had a little test fit of the Satin Black Studs.

IMG_0658-2.jpg

Last edited:
cheers lad's. I have been thinking about what to use to bond in the stainless steel studs, the studs thread diameter is a lot less the the hole holes on the wheel's (alot of movement) so i'm thinking of using Tiger seal, anyone have any other ideas on what to use to bond these stainless steel studs to alloy.

Last edited:
Wheels and studs look good, Tiger seal will work great, had Kit cars that I used tiger seal with and never had an issue with it.

Hi Colin,
The wheels are starting to take shape now, what else are you plannin g to do with them?

Mick

I have just finished bonding in the studs, so I will give them a few days to set. I may change the center stickers from Audi rings to BBS type stickers