EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

heater motor intermittent

Hey guys,

I am having intermittent problems with my heater motor not working, the air-con controls are all fine and I can her the flaps moving around when I adjust where I want the heat to go, however the fan motor doesn't always work and sometimes just cuts out/restarts randomly...

Do I need a new motor, or can it be repaired, a new one is over 300!!!!!

I have a 1.9 TDI Quattro sport 52 plate with 100K on the clock...

2. # ADS
    ADS

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Sounds like the same fault the B5s have.
    The bushes on the motor wear down and cause the fan to stop spinning.
    You can buy new bushes off ebay for a couple of pounds.

Here it some pics of the motor from a B5

these pics are from my motor. I was having the same issue you was having.
    I turned the bushes around in the hope the motor will last the winter.

GSF (other motor factors are available) will sell you the fan for alot less.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Axios View Post
    You can buy new bushes off ebay for a couple of pounds.

I turned the bushes around in the hope the motor will last the winter.
    There Brushes not bushes
    also when renewing them it is adviceable to undercut the commutator a little and give it a clean ( thats where the brushes run on the spindle of the motor )
    you do this because sometimes you get a build up between the sections of brush material and material off the Com itself .

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul20v View Post
    There Brushes not bushes
    Missed off the R.
    Thanks.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers guys,

I take it this is a fairly easy job, I'm reasonably technically minded and any idea how long it would take?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi, I'm having the same problem as you with the heater on my 1.9 TDi A4 B6 model. I was advised to replace the fan brushes as posted above but when I removed the fan motor it is different to the one used on the B5 and I cant see any way of accessing the brushes (I have also read that it doesnt have any brushes on it which looks more likely). I've attached photos of my fan motor for reference.

Dont know about you but my blowers tend not to work in very cold weather and I have been advised to check out the heater element for the coolant system (which doesnt really mean much to me to be honest but I'l look into it).

If anyone has any further information on this then I'd love to hear it as I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

Thanks and I'l keep you posted if I find out any more.

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    getting the fan out is a real git of a job, glove box off and a good touch, iv got a great 2nd hand fan that is only done 40K miles in a B7, same as the B6.

Reverse Gear

Status
    yeah, was a bit of a pain to get the fan out (not looking forward to putting it back in).

I'l keep your offer in mind but I'm starting to wonder if it is the fan that is causing the problem or if it is something else (ie. heater element etc).

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi ressul

Thanks for the update on that, glad I didn't buy the brushes from e-bay last night, I think in my case it is the motor, it was working perfectly all last month, even at -15 on several early morning starts, temp is now well above freezing and it's only now playing up....

Turkster - if the fan you have will definitely fit my car then how much do you want for it? PM me with details....

If anyone else has other suggestions, let's have them....
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...