EGR cleaning

choimaloy

Reaction score
I'm thinking of cleaning my egr on my 1.9 tdi do you guys have any advice on what to do and use for cleaning,car got 140k on it and the EGR is leaking a bit,is it worth buying a new one or just clean it.

clean it and failing that blank it. IMO they arent worth replacing. they're a stupid idea and expensive to replace. all IMO of course lol.

is it hard to blank it off ? dose the car not need it then ? last ? what would the benafit be if its blanked off ?

No the car doesn't need it
The car will run slightly cooler in as much as act (air charge temp)
And in turn will give not alot but a tiny bhp gain If I'm correct and it also frees up some space under the bonnet
And if your ok with some spanners it's fairly easy you will need two blanking plates and a bolt for the little vacuum hose then job done that's as long as it's a manual one if it has an electrical connection on it then I'm not sure if the car relies on it or not but my a4 2.5 v6 tdi is egr deleted and is fine
Hope this helps fella:yum:

Last edited:
Nope I didnt have to mate if you look at it and see if the egr valve has wires going to it you prob will have to delete it of the software too
And yeah you will need 2 of the blanking plates and any gaskets to
Good luck mate:sm4:

Last edited:
what would you use to clean it,would i need to get new gaskets to?

you can buy an egr cleaner from any good car shop for a few pounds and id say yes to a new gaskets mate if your taking it off best to put new ones on

Didn't realise it made a difference, but then again I'm a derv virgin :blush:
Thanks for that Simon :thumbsup:

Try looking on tdisport forum, there will be info on there about EGR blanking etc.

I am going to do mine when the weather is a bit better. I've already bought the blanking plates and they only cost £4.50 for 2 off ebay. I can give you the guys email address if you want it?

On the 1.9 TDi (AWX engine code) to get the EGR Valve off to clean it you also need to remove the exhaust manifold so you can access all the bolts which secure the EGR Valve to the manifold.

My plan is to blank it off first, then when its alot warmer do the cleaning bit. To blank it off all you need to do is remove the pipe that connects between the EGR Valve & the exhaust manifold and then put a blanking plates we the pipe used to bolt to, one on the back of the EGR valve and one on the manifold.

Don't forget this info is for the AWX engine code, so may not be correct for your's. But I think the principle is the same.

The EGR will leak and thats normal, my A4 is on 152K and is doing the same.

thanx mines a AWX engine code so i didnt know that,is that easy to remove?

thanx mines a AWX engine code so i didnt know that,is that easy to remove?

In principle, yes. But will let you know when i do it.

If you do your's before I manage to do mine, let me know how you get on and vice versa.

Exhaust removal seems a pain in the ***, but need to do mine, as it smokes a lot when i boot it

I dont think theres any need for the blanking plates. A audi mechanic blanked my girlfriends awx and all he did was put a ball bearing in the vaccum hose and clear it on the computer. I have it done for about a month now and its perfect no problems since.