EM TuningMonster Motorsport

Thread: a4 engine help

1st Gear

Status

a4 engine help

hey all my first time on here!!! ive just got a 2003 a4 190t quattro s line,now ive just found that the engine code on the head is amb (think as cant remember) anyhow it says on the cam cover in tipex 163 bhp a4 quattro!! new engine fitted!! it should have the bex code,now will this engine still produce 190 bhp as its the ecu that controls it or have i got a shed? please help as its doing my head in!! thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    If it's 2003 mate, you need to be in the B6 section.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

1st Gear

Status

a4 engine help

This is the B6 section fella!!!!

That sounds like they replaced the original 1.8T 190 BHP engine with the lesser 163PS 1.8T variant.
    Not sure what differences there are but that is not a good sign if u bought a 1.8T s-line 190??

My A4 avant is a limited edition (non s-line, non quattro) 1.8T 163PS.

I would not have bought it knowing that myself unless it was given a huge discount ?
    Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Limted Edition 2004 Manual (30k Miles) - Akoya Silver - S-Line Bodykit - RS4 17" Alloys
    Heated Leather/Alcantra Seats

My Ex's (Some not so desirable !! ahemm...)
    VW Golf 2.3 V5 170BHP
    VW Polo 1.2 C Formel E - The Beast .....
    Ford Fiesta 1.6 Si

1st Gear

Status
    I imagine its still running the 190sline slightly larger turbo and management etc so will be a bit of an odd one power output wise. Im not sure what if any the internal differences were. If its running well i wouldn't panic too much about it, if its from a dealer i would consider sending it back though to save your self any potential headache.
    Audi A4 B6 Avant 04 (1.8T 190 Quattro)
    Mods - CustomCode Stage 1, Cruise Retrofit, HID's, B7 Key.
    Wanted : Auto light switch, auto dimming mirror

On Point!!

Status
    A 190PS should have a BEX code on the engine, if it reads something else then it will not produce the same output without some tinkering eg remap. Check to see if you have intercoolers at both corners for starters.
    The BEX engine is the same 1.8 engine but it has some strengthened internal components, dual intercoolers as well as bigger injectors and maybe some other things that I cant remember right now.
    What does the log book say? Also what month in 2003 is it? and is it a proper S-Line?
    Last edited by Xmay4444; 5th August 2010 at 17:35.
    1.8T quattro S-Line in Akoya Silver, Milltek sports cat & 100mm tipped pipes, black Angel Eyes, 18" RS6's (Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta), Bose Symphony 6CD, Moonroof, Criuse Control, Armrest, Full DIS, 0.5 Leather, F&R PDC, Light Pack, Parrot MKi9200
    Coming soon HID's
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 1.8T Sport 0 v Swedish Artic 1

1st Gear

Status
    hi and thanks for the replies!! its 190 on the logbook and should be the bex code but its a amb,ive spoken to a few people and the engines are the same its just the turbo,twin intercoolers and ecu that make the difference!! ive checked my turbo and injectors and they are the right ones,mine allso has twin intercoolers ans a stupid loud dumpvalve!! i thought mine was a s-line but its the sport!!