AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gievf Buckets

Status

A few facelifting questions

Okay normally im well researched and know a large amount about the mods before i do em but due to the auction ending tomorrow im thrown in at the deep end, and i usally answer questions on here to the best of my ability so i geuss its about time i asked some. I'm looking at a cat d s3 and it requires all of the body panels for facelifting but ive a fe questions that hopefully can be answered,

so the first question is regarding the wings, i think someone did the conversion on here lately and but im afraid the thread contains any information on it other than that they require some modifications to fit them to the old chassis, does anyone know anymore?

My next question is regarding the wingmirrors with the leds are they plug and play? (i realise they would require a feed from the old indicator loom in the wing) also someone was selling them on here for 180 if they drop me a pm i'd be interested

And my final question is regarding the bixenon lights with the drls, is there any serious modification required to fit these? or is it just rewiring the plugs to suit or buying a kufatec adaptor loom?

Cheers guys

Phil

2. # ADS
    ADS

Gievf Buckets

Status
    66 views and no answers haha ive decided to go for it anyway, ill let you guys know how much of a job it turns out to be

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    Phil, you are a brave man! Hat's off to you.

This is going to be some build thread going on!

6th Gear

Status
    AFAIK, bi-xenons require a specific central electronics module for them to be coded correctly. The wing mirrors wont work as the pre-facelift central electronics module will expect a bulb not an LED so it wont supply the power.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Gievf Buckets

Status
    so a new central electrics module is required as well then, handy to know i suppose i could workaround the led problem, the s3 i have has bixenons anyway is there any problems switching between the two?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ok sorry been busy mate with ****e.

The wings afaik will fit as long as the bonnet, front & probably the slam panel etc are replaced to suit, along with facelift headlights aswell which have other brackets to suit.

The wing mirrors work of the door modules, not the wing wiring or the central electrics board, it is coded by the door modules only, so these need updating which with luck will also be ok for the door locks & existing wiring as I tested a facelift module last year & got some issues which may be related to lock vrsion given my car is a 54 so prefacelift numero uno & funny enough I have to do this upgrade myself as I have facelift modules now to make my indicators in mirrors work.

The headlights need the high end central elecrics board probably a K/P as dont think F had the bixenon with drl led's, I might have F on my SB so I'll check, but if you dont have this then forget doing the headlights, I doubt you could retrofit these without errors on systems, so you need a high end board & if not already high end then need to rewire this board to suit, can be done but take time.

Vagcom is an absolute must aswell.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Gievf Buckets

Status
    I have a genuine vagcom lead so not a problem there obtaining my etka this week with elsawin for up to 2010 vehicles so ill have the wiring i need so as far as the facelift headlights go is there a set without the drls or can i just keep prefacelift headlights on there?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Cant use any headlights except facelift ones if you are doing the 08 onward facelift front, different size/shape.

DRL's are on xenons & halogens, xenon ones are led & the halogen ones share the bulb with sidelights, given state of car just rewire it mate.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    yeah gonna go down that route itll be a ***** ill need to get vagcom on the car and check out what central electrics unit is on the car, where did you get your new door modules breakers or stealers? if you dont mind me asking how much too i can see this getting expensive fast haha

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You're now worried about cost of door modules when you are doing facelift & have an S3 to repair, lol, but late for that, I hunt about but I paid good money for mine mate, they're about 180 each from audi.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    im not worried haha im just finding everything out, seems the headlights are going to be my biggest problem to find and hopefully i can just rewire what ive got for fitting them

Gievf Buckets

Status
    also would current ballasts fit the new housings? i think ive found a source for the housings

5th Gear

Status
    Phil you are a brave man taking on such a project my hats off to you good luck with it. Hope to see it at a meet later in the year

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    no the ballasts are different to prefacelift cars.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    cheers man for all your help im just tying to source and price, i figure im gonna regret it if i dont do the facelift regardless of the work or cost

Gievf Buckets

Status
    its looking like the lights will be fine pricewise, ive not priced adaptive lights yet, anyone any feedback on them, are they really worth it or are pure bixenons where its at?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    How can I put this, feck yeah, adaptives are the dogs & I love em, everytime I drive at night they're great.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    ******* spending my money! i suppose if im gonna do it be as well going the whole hog, still to confirm audi prices only checked teh etka p/n over the online price checker

Gievf Buckets

Status
    alright looking like ive sourced the parts still to confirm that the lights im buying are the xenon variants but i should know by the end of the week already recieved some of the repair parts and the car should be here by the end of the week too

ill be getting a central electrics unit and the lights off of a black edition a3 so i know the module supports my needs im almost 100% that specking black edition includes xenons, however im at work and cannot check can someone confirm this for me?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Pm Kenzie as he has done this, he'll let you know what fits and what don't.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Gievf Buckets

Status
    kenzie has the halogen lights and i belive started with a split grill prefacelift

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Ah ok. My bad.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Gievf Buckets

Status
    no worries mate cheers anyway i think its pretty much uncharted territory but im going to go for it

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Fair play to ya lad!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    TBH mate its a fairly straight forward job for 95% of it, just follow the procedures & install notes from elsa & you'll be fine, fitting wings, bonnet, front & lights/rad brackets are fairly easy to do with time & patients, only thing you need to sort are the modules & wiring & this should be fine.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    yeah ive convinced myself to that effect and im all in for it now haha but cheers for the reassurance and its handy ive sourced a donor car with all the right bits, granted its a sportback bout its only front end that im needing

id feel even better if i could work elsa to get the diagrams i need to get started

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Nigel is a legend

Gievf Buckets

Status
    you joined the nige fanclub too haha, can someone either provide me with the details for how to work my elsa to get the wiring schematics i need or be kind enough to pm them to me

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I started the Nigel fanclub

Gievf Buckets

Status
    just a wee update got the body panels now got a really good deal straight from the stealer, ordered up the new radiator surround from an 09 s3 too so shouldnt be any problems with mounting brackets searching for lights still to get mirrors and a front bumper too though thats not too much trouble though if anyone has any of these bits lying around drop me a pm and im sure we can sort something out.

after getting the car up there is no chassis damage just needs a new rear subframe and a front wishbone

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    Thats very good to hear mate!!!

Be on the road for the summer then!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    which mirrors did you want, as in technology?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P5SND View Post
    just a wee update got the body panels now got a really good deal straight from the stealer, ordered up the new radiator surround from an 09 s3 too so shouldnt be any problems with mounting brackets searching for lights still to get mirrors and a front bumper too though thats not too much trouble though if anyone has any of these bits lying around drop me a pm and im sure we can sort something out.

after getting the car up there is no chassis damage just needs a new rear subframe and a front wishbone
    I assumed it was you fighing for those lights on ebay yesterday!! The only set i've ever seen on there!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Oooh its started for sure now. Hope you find what you are after! Can't wait to see the pics as you progress!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Gievf Buckets

Status
    scottie it should be mate i cant wait, the a3 was struggling a bit yesterday

as for technology im not really fussed regarding folding as the mirrors dont fold that far, dimming would be nice, but again ill take whatever i can get for cheap and ill fit upgrade parts later, i was offered a set with covers for 100 but thats gone now you got some lying mate?

aye sarah was strugling to get it up onto the ramp, had to drive it on in the end haha ill get some pics up if i remember my camera tomorrow, so its looking like ill have a set of xenons with the ballasts and a set of s3 mirrors for sale
    Last edited by PH1L; 12th April 2010 at 21:16.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    aye sarah was strugling to get it up onto the ramp, had to drive it on in the end haha ill get some pics up if i remember my camera tomorrow, so its looking like ill have a set of xenons with the ballasts and a set of s3 mirrors for sale

Lol, couldnt you get it up!!! Got there in the end! lol, cant wait to see the pics, should be an interesting project. Ooohhh can I buy ure S3 mirrors????

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Gievf Buckets

Status
    haha theres a first for everything yeah ill try and mind the camera though i usally cut it down to the mnute to get into work, my sleep is more valuble than my fuel haha

you had first dibs on the mirrors anyway just wait on scottie cutting in haha

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    you had first dibs on the mirrors anyway just wait on scottie cutting in haha
    Nope not this time, Scottie can have the xenons!!! The mirrors are mine!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    I'd never do that lol!

Sarah, they are all yours I have other plans, Phils are too shiny!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie123 View Post
    I'd never do that lol!

Sarah, they are all yours I have other plans, Phils are too shiny!
    Why thank you! lol Oh yeh, your secret mods this week!!!....hhmmmmm still not giving anything away are you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast