Help required - boot won't shut!

A3_'99_Tsport

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a '53' plate Audi A3 TDi and all of a sudden the boot won't shut properly. It seems to bounce of the metal bar which the lock is supposed to lock onto.

I have tried to play around with the locking mechanism but with no joy. I've also spray the whole thing with plenty of WD40 but again, with no joy.

I've been told that it may be the actuator, could this be right? Do I need to replace the entire locking mechanism!?!

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thank you
Olly

mine does this if you slam it. Lower it down most of the way then just let it fall, mine shuts ever time when you do that.

Reactions: Muzzcuzz
unless its already in the closed position? I know its a sill question but have you looked at the latch and to see if its closed over? I'd try to open & close it with a screwdriver to see if it actually works and its an alignment issue (Like Lee probably has) or if its just not latching at all.

Well, this is the thing, I think the lock is probably in the locked position, but when you use the key fob to unlock it it won't unlock, and it also won't budge when you use a screwdriver. It's happened before, and with a bit of man handling you do get it shut, but it takes 10 minutes each time!

I am concerned it could be an alignment issue, as I'm pretty sure the car was once in a rear shunt accident as the rear bumper is everso slightly lighter than the body work, plus the laquer is peeling, very annoying to say the least!

Check the weatherstripping for fit. . .My mother's 2006 Passat wouldn't close unless you slammed it very hard: after checking out the latch, I discovered the weatherstripping on the lower right side had somehow come off its flange. Put it back on and it shut like it was supposed to! Just a thought. . .

I hate to sound like a total idiot, but what am I looking for when you say the weatherstripping?

Have a similar problem.. When the boot is slammed it bounces off the latch. If you lower it down and let it drop it closes no worries at all. Has anyone found a solution to this? Surely the problem lies with the actuators?

I had/have the same issue, When you press your boot popper on the key you can usually hear the actuator energising, in my case i cannot - i tested the supply and it was getting a supply but not operating. I am yet to replace the actuator, so once that is done i will let you know the outcome.