Badger5Monster Motorsport

Thread: Spacers...

Neutral

Status

Spacers...

I have no when it comes to spacers, so a little help would be appreciated!

What would I need if I was to buy spacers?? How many of these would I need to do the whole car?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-Alloy-Hub...item3efc27b544

Do I need one set of these for each corner or do I use one spacer per corner. Do they look any good? Any recommendations on what I should get? I have read on posts that 20mm spacers may be a little much and casue rubbing. My plan is to use H&R shocks on standard dampers and then increase the stance of the car with spacers. I dont want to run into any rubbing on arches, just a little cosmetic change.

Please dont laugh, just a total newbie to all this!

Thanks
    Matt
    Black S3 8P, FBMFSW, BOSE, black nappa leather, rear parking sensors, remap and intake to come!
    Previously...
    Mini John Cooper Works GP No 1871 / VW Golf MK5 R32, DSG / Renault Megane Renault Sport Trophy No.493 / Alfa Romeo (never again!!!)

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You are best running 12mm spacers at the back, thats 12mm on each wheel, anymore then you'll have scrubbing issues, i did have 15mm's but changed to 12's.

you need some nice hubcentric ones, have a look at http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/a3-8...f4a1a6c6f8191d

if you can afford them then go for the H&R ones.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the reply. So are you saying 12mm only on the rear? Non of the ones on the link you posted are 12mm? Help?!

Thanks
    Black S3 8P, FBMFSW, BOSE, black nappa leather, rear parking sensors, remap and intake to come!
    Previously...
    Mini John Cooper Works GP No 1871 / VW Golf MK5 R32, DSG / Renault Megane Renault Sport Trophy No.493 / Alfa Romeo (never again!!!)

1st Gear

Status
    10mm at the front, 12mm at the rear, you will get a bit of rubage at the rear but its only on a liner screw that you can remove and trim or fit a smaller headed screw Buy decent quality hubcentric spacers, Damian at DPM will sort you out with some H&R ones that are top notch

08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    You want H&R spacers, don't scrimp on quality, 10mm front, 12mm rear..

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Damian offers great service at DPM, so I'd get them from him!

Neutral

Status
    Bit expensive for some pieces of metal. Isnt there anywere that sells them cheaper?
    Or can Damian at DPM do a good price?
    2009 - A4 S-line 2.0TDi

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

They are expensive but you pay for what you get Simon, those are the best ones you can buy!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks Robin, much appreciated.

Why is it recommended to do wider at the rear?
    Previously...

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by mattdsc View Post
    Why is it recommended to do wider at the rear?
    Rears sit in more, so you want staggered stance...

Neutral

Status
    Previously...

Neutral

Status
    You say there is a liner screw that can cause scrubbing on the back....where abouts is that? Top or sides?

Thanks
    Previously...

S3 (8P)

Status
    I have no when it comes to spacers, so a little help would be appreciated!

What would I need if I was to buy spacers?? How many of these would I need to do the whole car?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-Alloy-Hub...item3efc27b544

Do I need one set of these for each corner or do I use one spacer per corner. Do they look any good? Any recommendations on what I should get? I have read on posts that 20mm spacers may be a little much and casue rubbing. My plan is to use H&R shocks on standard dampers and then increase the stance of the car with spacers. I dont want to run into any rubbing on arches, just a little cosmetic change.

Please dont laugh, just a total newbie to all this!

Thanks
    Matt
    Get your springs now from Awesome while they have them discounted.
    180ish will get you a set of H&Rs delivered.
    Bargain.

cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Spacers are just CNC's lumps of metal, so often the unbranded spacers can be as good as H&R. I know a company that manufactures spacers for many large German tuners, but if they sold them unbranded, people wouldn't touch them.

The problem is sometimes the unbranded spacers can also be crap. When it's something effectively holding your wheel onto the car, you don't want to mess about. The fit needs to be 100% perfect, and the raw materials very good quality.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks Pete
    Previously...

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Nice one Pete

Reverse Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=V6Pete;892922]Spacers are just CNC's lumps of metal, so often the unbranded spacers can be as good as H&R. I know a company that manufactures spacers for many large German tuners, but if they sold them unbranded, people wouldn't touch them.

[/QUOTE

]The German tuners are not allowed to sell their spacers without TV certification. Testing cost money, so that why the German ones are more expensiv. You know you are getting a good product

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    [QUOTE=polo classic;893162]
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Spacers are just CNC's lumps of metal, so often the unbranded spacers can be as good as H&R. I know a company that manufactures spacers for many large German tuners, but if they sold them unbranded, people wouldn't touch them.

[/QUOTE

]The German tuners are not allowed to sell their spacers without TV certification. Testing cost money, so that why the German ones are more expensiv. You know you are getting a good product
    I'm fully aware of this....
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

6th Gear

Status
    Remember that the H&R's come with the longer bolts, some of the cheaper stuff doesn't include the bolts which can cost 40 and can also be a right pain up the arse to get hold of.

end of the day you get what you pay for.

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!

Status
    Quick question on spacers, I have been talking to a friend on this (thanks Carl) and he states that the front track should always be wider than rear on what is essentially a front wheel drive car, gives better turn in and scrub radius.

So the S3 stock has a wider track at the front, so for example, would adding 6mm spacers on the front (12mm in total) and 8mm or 10mm on the rear (16mm or 20mm in total) still maintain the wider track up front, but give the car the desired look I'm looking for, rear wheels filling the arches better? I should mention that I'll have the car lowered on H&R 25mm by the time I look to have spacers on.
    2010 Sprint Blue S3 Black Edition - Buckets & BBS CH Black's
    2008 Ibis White S3
    2006 Brilliant Black 2.0T S-Line Special Edition

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoS3 View Post
    Quick question on spacers, I have been talking to a friend on this (thanks Carl) and he states that the front track should always be wider than rear on what is essentially a front wheel drive car, gives better turn in and scrub radius.

So the S3 stock has a wider track at the front, so for example, would adding 6mm spacers on the front (12mm in total) and 8mm or 10mm on the rear (16mm or 20mm in total) still maintain the wider track up front, but give the car the desired look I'm looking for, rear wheels filling the arches better? I should mention that I'll have the car lowered on H&R 25mm by the time I look to have spacers on.
    According to Audifans the front track is 1522mm and rear track width is 1506mm.

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!

Status
    Cheers Carl, for this and the other info. I want it to look better (IMO) stance-wise, but not effect the handling too much. Take the point that I'll not be driving it like on a track from day-to day, but want to ensure the front track remains wider than the rear.
    2010 Sprint Blue S3 Black Edition - Buckets & BBS CH Black's
    2008 Ibis White S3
    2006 Brilliant Black 2.0T S-Line Special Edition