Badger5Volks Autos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2nd Gear

Status

Feedback for VMR RS4 Alloys for S3

Once i get my new S3 Black Edition I was wanting to fit a set of 19" VMR RS4 Style alloys to replace the standard 18" wheels on the car. I may be wrong but to me they have a better bevel to the wheel than the standard items. I also want to have them in matte black rather than the titanium finish.

So my query is has anyone fitted these wheels and if so where would you recommend to purchase them from and what sort of price to pay ?

Also to get the best out of fitting these would I need to install spacers to get the best look from the wheels ?

I do not want to compromise the comfort / ride of the car and wonder what effect having the 19" with lower profile tyres maybe than standard will have ?

Appreciate any feedback that can be given on the above
    Porsche 996TT
    A3 Sportback, 2.0 TDI, 170bhp S-Tronic
    S3 SB BE, Suzuka Grey -Sold

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    There's a few of them on the US forums mate (try VWvortex) but I think they're quite new over here.

I assume it's the V708 you're considering??

There's a thread on Audizine with some nice pics here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132557

Designer Wheels (a forum supporter) are an importer so I'd approach them.

Chris

P.S. I'm half considering a set of these!
    Car: Phantom Black A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line BLACK EDITION, 3-door, manual

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Chris,

Yes thats the very one's the V708. As you say I have seen them as well on the US Forum's and really like the look of them.
    Just checked out that link you sent and that Black S3 looks stunning with the V708's on her !

I just think they really make the car look totally different than the standard wheels which are too flush on the facing ( if that makes sense ? )
    Porsche 996TT

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by willmac View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I just think they really make the car look totally different than the standard wheels which are too flush on the facing ( if that makes sense ? )
    I know what you're saying. There's no dish (??) on the standard Black Edition alloys like there is on the RS4's. That said, my preference would be to go for proper RS4's if possible .... although price may be an issue.

Chris

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi,
    I am after these aswell however VMR have no stock at all till late FEB!

for the 19 in ET 48

Bit of a bugger really! they not even sure if they will get them in feb as they concentrating on their new wheels :|

Abit annoyed about this actually as i was modding the car to match the 708's

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    They are the best RS4 reps I've seen anyway..

3rd Gear

Status
    I have 'em. VMR 708 in hypersilver 19x8.5 with 225/35/19 rubber. No need for spacers as they sit flush. ET 48 is a great fit and will house any BBK on the market. Take a look at the V710's as well. They look great in matte black. They will be available in February so don't fret. May want to buy an extra and use it as a spare

2nd Gear

Status
    tcardio,
    Thanks. Any chance of some photo's ?
    Porsche 996TT

1st Gear

Status
    I got a set of these for my A3 yesterday, Ł325 for them fitted with my old tyres on, brand new, from some shop in liverpool

Only 17" though

2nd Gear

Status
    The local ones dont have the deep VMR dish :\ and are heavier apparently

2nd Gear

Status
    Here's tcardio's car ..

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

They will be slightly different the ones you have

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evapor8 View Post
    Here's tcardio's car ..

Wow , that is just gorgeous ! Those wheels just make it
    Porsche 996TT

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evapor8 View Post
    Here's tcardio's car ..
    They'd probably look better if the car was clean.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

5th Gear

Status
    I've been looking at the VNR wheels. I like both the 708's and also really like the V715's with the stainless steel lip.

On looking though they are only available in ET38 or ET 45 (19x8.5). So would the ET45's be OK and fit without issue do you think, as I cant be done with any rubbing.

Or could I just fit the ET38's with a 10mm H&R Spacer to give an ET45 without any issues?

I've emailed VMR anyway to get a price and availablility of both wheels shipped to the UK
    Paul R

S3 Sportback - Sprint, Buckets, Bose, Rain & light, Alu rails, Piano trim, FT Warning, Bluetooth prep
    S3's now sold - roll on the Golf MK1 Project

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Go ET45 front and ET38 rear, perfect stance then

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Go ET45 front and ET38 rear, perfect stance then
    With no Rubbage on H&R's with the Sprogs in the back? If so I'm in I think
    Paul R

S3 Sportback - Sprint, Buckets, Bose, Rain & light, Alu rails, Piano trim, FT Warning, Bluetooth prep

5th Gear

Status
    Really liking these but dont know whether they'll look small as the spokes dont go to the rim edge like on the V708's. I do like the dish and the rim though

on a golf in a custom colour, but you get the idea

Paul R

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd like to see a Sprint Blue with the hyper silver 708's ..... that's gotta be a good looking combo!

Chris

5th Gear

Status
    Thst what I'm thinking but bling all the way
    Paul R

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

The golf looks cack. You don't need a 10mm spacers with ET38, you won't need any spacers full stop...

5th Gear

Status
    ^^^^^ Speak your mind N8

Sorry if we're going over old ground here - but I thought I'd read on here that the only way to fit 19 x 8.5's would be with an offset of ET45 withouth any issues.

Obvioulsy I'd like the correct stance, but dont want any of the rubbage that people are talking about. It would p#ss me right off. I've had it on a few cars, many many moons ago, an Astra GSi and a Astra GTE and dont want any of it on the S3.

I intent to drop it on H&R springs and am quite often loaded up with the two kids and shopping, pushchair etc, therefore need to have the clearance in the rear if possible on the 19's

Thoughts?
    Paul R

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RAPS3 View Post
    ^^^^^ Speak your mind N8

Sorry if we're going over old ground here - but I thought I'd read on here that the only way to fit 19 x 8.5's would be with an offset of ET45 withouth any issues.

Obvioulsy I'd like the correct stance, but dont want any of the rubbage that people are talking about. It would p#ss me right off. I've had it on a few cars, many many moons ago, an Astra GSi and a Astra GTE and dont want any of it on the S3.

I intent to drop it on H&R springs and am quite often loaded up with the two kids and shopping, pushchair etc, therefore need to have the clearance in the rear if possible on the 19's

Thoughts?
    I'm sure N8 will chip in and tell me I'm wrong... but ET45 still rubbed on my car. LOTS. That was with 235's. With 225's it would have still rubbed a bit. Maybe not with 215's, but hey, not everybody wants to run with a stretch and a narrower than factory tyre.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

5th Gear

Status
    thanks Pete - I'm not really into the stretched tyre look to be honest. PLus the missus drives it now and again and I'd like a bit of kerb protection, or at least an unprovoked kerbage.

Waits for N8's response
    Paul R

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Right, I'm running 215/35/19 Toyos T1-S on my Helios which are 19" x 8.5J ET45 lowered -65mm on KW V2s. I get no rubbing WHATSOEVER with 5 in the car. Now if your going to lower on springs, and if you went with a 225 which will be fine, you should be alright?????? But I ain't gonna be the reason if it does catch...

5th Gear

Status
    Hahaha - its all your fault I'm want new wheels anyway - you whore

I want it all though - the looks without the grief of rubbing. Suppose there's no such thing unless I take a punt, or educated decision.

I wont be as low as -65mm I wouldnt be able to get up my drive or over the humps at work, so springs will do just fine, unless the ride is bumpy then they'll have to go and I'll get some coil's (just a little higher )

So I think a gamble may be in order - just have to make my mind up on the wheels now.
    Paul R

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry to be ignorant but what are the "E" numbers you mention here ?
    Is it the offset measurement ?
    Porsche 996TT

Status
    Sorry to be ignorant but what are the "E" numbers you mention here ?
    Is it the offset measurement ?
    Yeah ET is offset.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

No worries Paul, yes ET45 is the offset, it determines how far in or out the wheel sits within the arch.

3rd Gear

Status
    IMO, 19's look great on the A3/S3. The trade off is a little bit of rubbing here and there. Rubbing is a way of life with the 19's and I barely have any rubbing and only when abrupt changes in the roadway i.e., dips. The tire and fender well look fine. My front never rubs. Really, it never rubs but the back rubs on occasion. It's just a road kiss to me now. 225 is a good fit. Stretching is a visual preference which some love and some hate. So, go for it and remove the screw on the rear fender at the 11 o'clock position. Expect it to rub for the first 200 or so miles as the fender well accomodates the wheel

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
    IMO, 19's look great on the A3/S3. The trade off is a little bit of rubbing here and there. Rubbing is a way of life with the 19's and I barely have any rubbing and only when abrupt changes in the roadway i.e., dips. The tire and fender well look fine. My front never rubs. Really, it never rubs but the back rubs on occasion. It's just a road kiss to me now. 225 is a good fit. Stretching is a visual preference which some love and some hate. So, go for it and remove the screw on the rear fender at the 11 o'clock position. Expect it to rub for the first 200 or so miles as the fender well accomodates the wheel
    I agree that 19's are just right on an A3 - they fill the arches nicely, and give it a much more purposeful stance, especially if dropped well.

225/35/19 is more expensive than 235/35/19, but worth the premium to reduce rubbing.

But bear in mind rubbing doesn't have to be the way of life - go for a higher offset, and maybe a slightly narrower rim, and you can live with a completely rub free ride.

2nd Gear

Status
    OK so if ordering 19" V708 wheels I would be best to go for ET45 offset and with 235/35/19 Tyre's and if running standard suspension set up there should be no rubbing issues you reckon ?
    Porsche 996TT

Status
    OK so if ordering 19" V708 wheels I would be best to go for ET45 offset and with 235/35/19 Tyre's and if running standard suspension set up there should be no rubbing issues you reckon ?
    19's with standard suspension will look very high... at least consider a set of springs.

But either way, you should look at 225's, rather than 235's - this makes a massive difference with rubbing or not.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi sorry to ask this but,

Am i wrong in saying we do not have a uk seller for these wheels anymore or are they cheaper to buy direct from the states?

Thanks in advance

Mike
    A3 8P Facelift front, Optics grille, 09 rearlights, votex rear spoiler, Bluefin Phillips xtreme bulbs, Weitec GT Coilovers, 19" VMR Wheels Looking for dsg fbmfsw

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Right, I'm running 215/35/19 Toyos T1-S on my Helios which are 19" x 8.5J ET45 lowered -65mm on KW V2s. I get no rubbing WHATSOEVER with 5 in the car. Now if your going to lower on springs, and if you went with a 225 which will be fine, you should be alright?????? But I ain't gonna be the reason if it does catch...

ive got 45 offset lowered on 35 mm h&r springs with 225 tires and with 5 in the car it does catch mind you it was a heavfty 3 in the back if you remove the screw from the back it should be fine , just to let you know

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1628 View Post
    Hi sorry to ask this but,

Am i wrong in saying we do not have a uk seller for these wheels anymore or are they cheaper to buy direct from the states?

Thanks in advance

Mike
    I'd like to find this out too mike.

I've just had a quote from VMR in the states for the rims only:-

Jacob here with Velocity Motoring.

The V708 wheels are $799 for the set, but are out of stock. The V715 wheels are $999 for the set. We have one set left in stock for the V715 in Hyper Silver. Price is the same for either offset, though I would recommend sticking to the et45. I'll get back to you with a shipping quote today. In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions.
    Then Shipping, Import Duty and VAT on top of that. I've just filled out an online calculator and it came to approx Ł650 in total.

So they would work out:

VMR V715 Ł650 costs + Ł615 for the rims = Ł1265

VMR V708 Ł650 costs + Ł492 for the rims = Ł1142

Thats assuming that the Ł650 costs are an accurate reflection of costs as I only used a quick calculator.

To be honest though I couldn't / wouldn't pay that for what are essentially replica rims - thats nearly BBS money !
    Paul R

Status
    Then Shipping, Import Duty and VAT on top of that. I've just filled out an online calculator and it came to approx Ł650 in total.
    It all depends on shipping costs. VAT and duty will be around Ł100, but it's the cost of carriage that's the issue. Buying a single set of wheels air freighted from the State is never going to be cost effective. What it needs is for a company to take a pallet of them in by sea - that would only cost say 10-20 quid per wheel, then they'd be sensible cash.

5th Gear

Status
    Thats were the majority of the costs where Pete, in the shipping, not the VAT & Duty. I think the breakdown was around Ł500 for the shipping alone. Which makes them unfeasible in my eyes.

I'd rather just buy some off ebay for Ł400 and live with a lesser dish to the spokes and maybe a bit less quality I think.
    Paul R

Status
    Thats were the majority of the costs where Pete, in the shipping, not the VAT & Duty. I think the breakdown was around Ł500 for the shipping alone. Which makes them unfeasible in my eyes.

I'd rather just buy some off ebay for Ł400 and live with a lesser dish to the spokes and maybe a bit less quality I think.
    It doesn't surprise me, carriage from the US is expensive, and wheels are large heavy boxes. It does make them disproportionately expensive, which is a shame as they're very classy rims.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd like to find this out too mike.

I've just had a quote from VMR in the states for the rims only:-

So they would work out:

VMR V715 Ł650 costs + Ł615 for the rims = Ł1265

VMR V708 Ł650 costs + Ł492 for the rims = Ł1142

Thats assuming that the Ł650 costs are an accurate reflection of costs as I only used a quick calculator.

To be honest though I couldn't / wouldn't pay that for what are essentially replica rims - thats nearly BBS money !
    Ouch !! that would hurt. Yes Air Freight is not cheap. Just have to wait for a UK supplier eventually I suppose ? Or are these American made only ?
    Porsche 996TT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast