TDI Hybrid Turbo considerations

heyadamhey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys
I seriously considering getting the hybrid treatment done on my turbo.

How necessary is it to upgrade the following:
Fuel system? (pump, injectors, anything else?)
Clutch? (apparently a good idea to get an uprated clutch)
Intercooler?
Exhaust?

Obviously a remap

What other considerations are there?

Thanks
Adam

so after doing some more phoning around, it seems the possibility of having my turbo 'hybridised' is not an option here in SA :(

but... I did find out that the Taureg V10 uses two VNT1852 turbos. surely one of these would be very close to the GT1749 with a 52mm exhaust wheel?

Does anyone know if this'd work? presumably a new manifold would be in order, but is it worth considering as an alternative to having mine milled out?

so after doing some more phoning around, it seems the possibility of having my turbo 'hybridised' is not an option here in SA :(

but... I did find out that the Taureg V10 uses two VNT1852 turbos. surely one of these would be very close to the GT1749 with a 52mm exhaust wheel?

Does anyone know if this'd work? presumably a new manifold would be in order, but is it worth considering as an alternative to having mine milled out?

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/s...rbo-with-manifold-and-decat-down-pipe-&cat=15 :whistle2:

Now provisionally sold to Madluke who`s girlfriend is :hubbahubba:

Last edited:
If postage to South Africa wan't an issue and it being sold wasn't an issue, you'd have had a buyer, Mikey.

any thoughts on the GT1852V ? I noticed another user on here has one fitted to a 2.0TDI

Good turbo but what power do you want to be make ?

With the hybrid you lose below power 2500rpm, but there is awesome amount of power from 2500rpm right to red line...

So when driving you have to drive differently and change down to get the turbo in because 5th an 6th the revs will be out of the turbo range... this is after a remap as well...

Am waiting now for mine to settle to see how the MPG is affected...

If I did go with that, would my clutch handle?

PS - Nope... mine slips in 4th 5th an 6th with foot down hard... but driven carefully and not hammered all the time you'll be ok for a while...

Ok, so I finally found a place that will modify my turbo and remove the cat, but they don't do remaps.

Would it be driveable before getting it remapped? i.e. would it just constantly go into 'limp mode'?

Would the decat throw any ECU errors? I've heard people mention the lamda sensor (?)

Thanks
Adam

I am no expert but would have thought it would need mapping to run safely as I am sure the boost levels will be increased over standard. If you are careful and stay off the power then you should be ok for a short period of time

The turbo can be run without a remap but will be very laggy and will not make much more power then your stock turbo plus if you try to drive it hard it will go into limp mode. Removing the CAT will cause no problems at all as with it being a diesel it has no censors in the CAT. Untill you sort out where you are going to get a map from no point really fitting the hybrid turbo. If you buy yourself something like an Alientech box http://www.alientech-to.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=13 like i have you can get maps emailed to you and upload them yourself.

Thanks guys - was really just checking if I'd be able to drive if from the turbo shop to the garage to get it remapped...

Thanks for the link, Mikey, any idea on what they go for?

In England you can buy it for £295 with a sports, economy and standard map already on the device.http://www.tuningtools.co.uk/alientech-powergate-ford-obd-tuning-information.html. Several "remap companies" already sale the device rebranded as their own device with their "own" maps on like Chipped UK ( now changing their name to Viezu ) who call it a ST3 http://www.chippeduk.com/content/en/Services/ST3_-_Self_Tuning_System.html , Derv Doctor,RS Tuning etc . I bought the device direct with no maps on for £150 from Alientech.