Coilovers

royce259

Reaction score
What coilovers would you suggest for a 1.6 A3, bearing in mind i want to keep as much comfortability as possible

KW have a good rep for combining comfort and handling, but are quite expensive.

My V-Maxx are about £400 and drive really well and sit quite low, and I can definitely recommend them.

Weitec (Made by KW) are about £480 and very good, I would like to ride in Pete's car and see the V-Maxx

Hang around the streets of Northants and he will probably pick you up one night :)

Fitted some Spax coilovers with adjustable damping on my mates mk5 golf this morning and they are amazing! Before that he had TK Teknic's ones on there which are about £200, and they were shocking. They ended up creaking and banging after about 2 months and now, a year later, they were undriveable. Spax ones are around £550 I think he said. Found some on venommotorsport's site for £570ish for my A3!

State of the old ones:

4259055719_5e686e651b.jpg

Not sure if you can see the massive crack in the plastic in the middle through the spring. Proof enough for me that cheap ones arent worth wasting money on!

New Spax:

4259054975_f6681c02f3.jpg

I have KW's on mine and the ride is not a lot worse than the standard s-line spring set up, i have them wound right down to the bottom.

I have KWs on mine, and the ride is 19.8 million times better over stock

Not sure if all these comments are saying great things about coilovers, or just that the standard S-Line is pretty crap!

Wish you lot would shut up ! I have std s-line and i was quite happy till i read this thread.....Now it looks like i might have to spend a load more money...
My only reservation was i put spax adjustables on my Manta GTE in the 80s and the ride was so hard you had to run it on the softest setting just to stay on the road ! one bump on a corner and you were sideways through the air. eventually it pushed the struts through the inner wings at the front.

Not sure if all these comments are saying great things about coilovers, or just that the standard S-Line is pretty crap!

Standard S-Line suspension is absolutley crap! :sadlike:

Wish you lot would shut up ! I have std s-line and i was quite happy till i read this thread.....Now it looks like i might have to spend a load more money...
My only reservation was i put spax adjustables on my Manta GTE in the 80s and the ride was so hard you had to run it on the softest setting just to stay on the road ! one bump on a corner and you were sideways through the air. eventually it pushed the struts through the inner wings at the front.

But thats is down to the build quality of a 1980s Manta GTE to your A3 built in 200? Try and go out in some1s A3/S3 in your area with coilovers and make your open mind up on them! :happy:

Absolutely right Nath...trouble is i am bored with work and am thinking about taking a couple of years out so as much as i want to play with the car, i sort of think i should stop spending money. also a bit bothered that as an 04 its getting old now and maybe i should replace it while i am still working............Mind in turmoil.......:shrug:

Last edited: