19" or 18" alloys...

drnutta

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know this has been talked about before... problem is I can no longer find it

If i move up to 19inch wheels will my performane go down? Ride?
Worth it not worth it?

I am in the process of getting kw's on sat so the next step is really new wheels...

was going to go for the VMR 708 to keep it a little OEM... but if they dont appear soon maybe BBS CH problem is i had those before...

Car is a 170 Sline Sportback.

Nath.....someone wants to talk to you !! :)

I had my A3 TDI for 2.5 years and my S3 now for 6months and had 19" wheels on them the whole time and have never noticed any performance differences or handling differences!

Ditto to Boydie's comments.

Have an S3 and performance has not been impacted, the diameter of the alloy/tyre has remained the same as the std one's on the 18" because of the lower profile tyre, so no reason to have changed either.

Handling seems the same to.

Ride, yes you'll notice it for the first few trips, but even on std suspension it's fine. It wasn't like the ride was that good in the first place.

I went for BBS Ck's which means you stick with 225 wide tyres.

Go for the 19's!

19's look much much better from what i've seen

18's might give you a slightly better accleration because of the reduced weight of the wheels, but i doubt you'll notice it

Go for the 19's bud

The funny thing is, I find the ride of the car much better on 19"s than 18"s, plus looks a million times better :wub::

DSC00057800x600.jpg

With the pot holes in the roads getting worse by the day in surrey i wouldn't want to go to 19s to be honest. even on 18s the road smacks into the rim because of the low profile around here !
The only advantage i can see is looks but thats a big price to pay for less squigyness in the tyre..

N8.....you can get just that effect with a couple of paving slabs in the boot ( insert smilie here if there were any)

19's look much much better from what i've seen

18's might give you a slightly better accleration because of the reduced weight of the wheels, but i doubt you'll notice it

Go for the 19's bud

I would agree with that.

I decided to stick with 18s though, mainly because I sold my Cooper S (which was lowered), in part, due to its harsh ride.

Get 19's! No contest. You'll always look at 18's and wish they were 19's.

My S-Line's on 18's and the ride isn't great, so doubt 19's would make much of a difference. I'd go for 19's if I was changing my rims as they fill the arches so much better!

With the pot holes in the roads getting worse by the day in surrey i wouldn't want to go to 19s to be honest. even on 18s the road smacks into the rim because of the low profile around here !
The only advantage i can see is looks but thats a big price to pay for less squigyness in the tyre..

To be fair paddy the roads ALL OVER britian are bad, I wish I lived in Germany :wub:

N8.....you can get just that effect with a couple of paving slabs in the boot ( insert smilie here if there were any)

Then what about the MASSIVE front arch gap? :eyebrows:

I decided to stick with 18s though, mainly because I sold my Cooper S (which was lowered), in part, due to its harsh ride.

My car is SLAMMED on KW V2s, running 19"s with STRETCH, and my car is more comfortable than my brothers STANDARD Corsa VXR on 18"s with STANDARD suspension :p

Get 19's! No contest.

I do love your brain Pete :wub:

Well as N8 already knows :)
I'm getting my KW coilovers version 3 from AMD this sat... so next stage is rims...
Reason for the coils was for trying to solve the harsh ride issue... which I spoke to N8 about.

Hope this was the right choice as using my S3 body kit money hehe :)

19 s look better , stick to 225 tyres if you dont want rubbing problems

Well as N8 already knows :)
I'm getting my KW coilovers version 3 from AMD this sat... so next stage is rims...
Reason for the coils was for trying to solve the harsh ride issue... which I spoke to N8 about.

Hope this was the right choice as using my S3 body kit money hehe :)

And I told you adjustable dampenin, won't be harsh

19 s look better , stick to 225 tyres if you dont want rubbing problems

Or 215s for no rubbing WHATSOEVER :wub:

Or 215s for no rubbing WHATSOEVER :wub:

With the right fitment wheel (i.e. BBS) a 225/35/19 is perfect. Not an exciting wheel choice, but a good width, offset and weight.

Was trying to keep it a little OEM hence the VMR 708's... which are 8.5 19" ET 48... although they also come in ET 45... i was going to stick with 225/35/19 as well but i dont think the ET45 would fit.

With the right fitment wheel (i.e. BBS) a 225/35/19 is perfect. Not an exciting wheel choice, but a good width, offset and weight.

True depends how low you wanna go I guess and if you carry peeps in the back :icon_thumright:

Was trying to keep it a little OEM hence the VMR 708's... which are 8.5 19" ET 48... although they also come in ET 45... i was going to stick with 225/35/19 as well but i dont think the ET45 would fit.

Mine are 19" x 8.5 ET45 with 215/35/19 :slap:

Oh ******!

ho hum.... N8 would it be ok to help me out with modding things like rear heated seats when you get yours sorted?
Or have you already got a plan ;)

My setup: H&R coilovers with Version 2 spring, VMR 708 19X8.5 ET 48 with 225/35/19 tires. Wheels fit BBK without issue. Minimal rubbing at first but after 250 miles only rarely. Remove screw at 11 oclock position. V710 in ET 45 are really nice, too. They will also fit a BBK. VMR delivers new shipment in February. The delay was secondary to production of their new wheel.

Lookin at 19" ers, myself......can you guys tell me if these are going to be any good for (07) A3 s line 3dr? Cheers dears.

BBS produced Audi OEM wheels 5x112 ET43 8.5x19.

Sorry to butt in Drnutta!!! lol

What do you guys think? Any good?

Last edited:
Come on then, fellas...help me...some suggestions...and where should i be looking for some good wheels at good prices?

Black Bentley or Audi centres? How much? And how much with tyres, dear. And what tyres?

So how much are the VMR wheels ?

Jordan paid £900 including shipping + taxes though. To give you an idea, my tax was £150 for the Helios :wub:

N8 has become my PA by the looks of it!!!! :w00t:

Lookin at 19" ers, myself......can you guys tell me if these are going to be any good for (07) A3 s line 3dr? Cheers dears.

BBS produced Audi OEM wheels 5x112 ET43 8.5x19.

Sorry to butt in Drnutta!!! lol

Should be perfect

Yes perfect with a 225 or 215 tyre, what wheel is it my I ask Jax?

215 for a little bit of stretch ;)

What do you guys think? Any good?

Euuugh

I have some 19" Bentley GTC's for sale with black centres like these ones :wub::

MarkMonBentley6-1.jpg

MarkMonBentley7-1.jpg

:wub:

Can sort you out with some tyres as well..

I just creamed