High Mileage + Mods

remslie20

Reaction score
Just wondering what the highest mileage is on a modified A3/S3 as in engine mods and whether it has resulted in any expensive repair bills? How reliable is the S3 engine when it's pushing out over 300 big ones??

I’ve always said if u mod an engine you half the life... and its true, I build a very high spec tb'd engine in my old car and ended up doing frequent strip down and rebuild of the engine.

I’ve always said if u mod an engine you half the life... and its true, I build a very high spec tb'd engine in my old car and ended up doing frequent strip down and rebuild of the engine.

There's a lot of factors to add into that equation.....I've owned a couple of cars running 200+bhp/litre and had no reliability problems even with one that had run well over 30 000 miles before some further mods.

If the block is suitably strong,and the internals are as well,plus properly balanced etc,and the engine is serviced frequently,using a good synthetic oil( as we all do anyway!),then rebuilds should certainly not be frequent.

However,a lot of turbo engines were not designed with this sort of modding in mind,and cooling,both for oil and water,plus a host of other details can contribute to poor reliability and as you say,frequent rebuilds.

My 440bhp Cosworth had one rebuild over a span of 70 000 miles....that was at 40 000 miles to install a bigger turbo,and lower compression pistons etc.
The internals were actually in very good condition.

Hi everyone...sorry for being a Lurker for so long, just mainly have all my questioned answered in everyone else's posts, but this is a question that keeps intriguing myself.

Mine is a 140,000m.....A3 2.0TDi, i'm looking into a remap but worried that surely with such a high milage things are going to go wrong? Bare in mind its already supping the coolant (head porosity-BKD engine) until the K-seal did its magic....do you think i'll run into any further problems with turning everything up?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, it just seems fitting to keep this all together.

Adam