Broken Armrest Lid

aristides

Reaction score
Hello fellas.

I was moving around in my car (no naughty thoughts ,lol) and i hit with my elbow the handle that opens the lid of the armrest and broke it a bit

Is this part seperate from the whole armrest? Could i buy just this part? Or does it all go together?

If so, any thoughts of how i could mend it?

Armrest lid can be bought seperate, the part you broke cant, but check ebay mate as there's always loads on there, gonna recover mine in black alcantara.

Show us a pic then maybe can advise on repair, just repaired mine but fear yours is in the place where it might not be possible, but hey superglue's my friend, lol, apart from vagcom its the best tool in the world, lol.

I broke the clip too, the thing that u have to push to open the damn thing.
I superglued it already but there must be something missing, a spring or something cause it feels loose

Mine is cloth. Well 60quid isn`t a lot but i will look around in eBay too

And yeah Superglue rocks! :)

Looking it from underneath

Last edited:
The clip on mine has cracked and doesn't lock, i was too bothered at the time when i did it, I'd done it on the MK4 Golf and the clip was £1.50 or something daft, i assumed it would be the same.. how wrong was i? £60?!

Yeah you've guessed it, it's still broke..

I'll replace it at a later date.. :icon_thumright:

There is a sprung loaded strip that holds the tension of the lid catch which has maybe come loose/out of place, if you're feeling brave remove the fabric & repair it then use something like evostik to fix the cloth back down as this is flexible rubberised glue, takes while to set but will do job when I recover mine with alcantara.

I could really use a photo of this strip-sprung mate since i thing mine is somewhere in the car

Think of it as thin as a paperclip & its about the length of the plastic catch & has some bends in it to make it sprung loaded, its probably inside the armest & tbh I cant see 100% the damage of yours as it looks like you stuck it right up to your nose in that image & its to dark/blurred, shake the lid, whilst holding ctach, anything moving inside?

I have to look around, i actually broke it while it was in the "up" position so i guess the sprung must be somewhere in the back seats.
I have to look around since thats the only thing missing atm, the superglue set Ok so sprung is all i need

Sorry bout the photo will try to make one later

That would be near on impossible to see as its hidden behind the catch in the armrest lid, lol.

Mine was broke when i bought the car but a wee bit of black sticky back velcro up each side is a good fix.

I also used some sticky back velcro - I removed the two little rubber inserts from the lid, cut two small triangular shaped pieces of velcro and stuck them on either side of lid. Works a treat and cost about £1 vs £60!

I know a guy who is selling the full armrest for £ 100 , will have to see if he still has it though.

aristides,
I had a lid replaced under warranty. If your warranty is still valid then mention it next time it goes for a service.
Same goes for the damper on the glove box when that breaks.

Really?

Would warranty cover something like this?

I really much doubt it since its my fault!

Mine broke there as well..........its a major design fault, we need a recall :)

i did the same and coventry listers fixed my lid 2009 model a3

thats what is broken on mine : [ nhn whats the bit you squeese to get it to sepparate from the main armrest

This fault is really frustrating! I'm reluctant to shell out £73 for a leather lid from a stealer (not much cheaper on eBay :mad:)

I gather lots of others have been affected?

Has anyone managed to get Audi to replace theirs for free seeing as it's clearly a design fault?

Might have to look into the black velcro option!

Cheers,
Donny

just had my new one put on. gonna be careful with it

Just bought some adhesive velcro strips from the bay. Nice1 lads - will let ya know how I get on! :thumbsup:

I've just fitted an arm-rest to mine. Ordered a leather lid to go with it which i'll be picking up on friday so the black cloth lid will be up for sale if anyone is interested?