Brake light out

pdv40

Reaction score
Driving along today my car pinged at me saying "left brake light out" and the alert symbol illuminated on the DIS. After about two minutes or so it went out. When I parked up I ran the systems check by pulling on the left stick in the binnacle and it didn't bring up the fault. I check all the lights and no bulbs are out. Any ideas? Was this just a glitch and has anyone had it happen before?

same thing happened to me today only telling me the rh side brake light was out - warning went off,pulled over and checked the lights - everything working ok!!:unsure:
anyone any ideas?

No idea mate, mine is still working fine despite the warning. Courtesy car (A4) I had this week did the same thing too :think:

Anyone got any solutions to this yet? I'm having the exact same problem, get the message in the DIS saying the right brakelight is out but they are all working fine. The message is coming up pretty often.

Also, is there any easy way to get in to change the bulbs in the 8P? I had a look in the manual which tells you to get a mechanic to change the bulbs....sorry, i think not for a 50p bulb!

Could be a poor contact (intermitttent) in the brake light circuit. Suggest that you discover how to access the bulb and check/clean the contacts. Some corrosion may have occurred in the contacts for the bulb, and with the vibration of driving, may become intermittent, hence bringing up a warning.

It's come up a few times and yeah it can just be a bad contact.

To change the bulb the whole cluster comes off first then the rest will be obvious. To remove the cluster you use the screwdriver provided to pop off the little cover inside the boot then use it to unscrew the slotted hex head screw inside. It takes a bit of twisting to remove the cluster but the instructions are in the manual on how to do it.

had exact same problem a few weeks back after changing my left brake bulb (which had blown!) then kept getting the message intermittently saying it was away again, eventually took the bulb out again and swapped it for the other one that came in the pack, cleaned and gave the contacts a little squeeze to make a tighter connection. seems to have worked for me so far!