GIAC Flashloader Users

Splathead

Reaction score
It is time for my S3's first service. This will be followed by a Remap. I will be going down the GIAC route. I was also going to buy a handheld flashloader but after looking at:
http://giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php I'm having second thoughts.

As I already have a genuine Ross-Tech cable, I have downloaded the PC software:
http://www.giacusa.com/downloads/flash_loader_switcher_full_105.zip

Does anyone know if this works with the A3/S3?

(I had a quick search for tis subject but could not find anything - sorry if it is repeat post).

Hmmmm, interesting that, I'd not noticed you could now download the switcher tool and do it from your PC.
Personally, I like having the flashloader in the car... just incase I need to flash it back to stock immediately, for example, car breaks down and gets towed to a dealer.
It just means I can be confident the map won't cause me any issues.

Drop me a PM before you do your remap ;)

Mmmmm. This is interesting. They have given us access to the flashing software on our PC. l wonder if it can be hacked to allow for other maps to be uploaded.

I doubt it DC - it says on the web page that it allows you to swap between the purchased maps..... i'm guessing you still need a GIAC dealer to physically load the maps on the ECU :(

From what steve at statller was saying GIAC america are very big on security hacking there files is near impossible,if you could get into there software you wont be far from getting into the pentagon in software skills

I wouldn't be so sure on that. If the file can be read by software on the computer the software can be hacked to give the source code of the file.

I'm not saying I could do it by the way! And I wouldn't want to, they earn their money.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. If the file can be read by software on the computer the software can be hacked to give the source code of the file.

I'm not saying I could do it by the way! And I wouldn't want to, they earn their money.

l agree.

did you ever find out if the software with VCDS cable will work, as I am going down the same route, and only want the 'stock' map for services etc..
thanks

The software recognises my cable but then says 'can not find ECU' when plugged in to the car. I'm assuming because I have not had the remap done....... yet. So, it seems to work from that standpoint.

What I don't understand is that I has assumed that the handheld flashloader stores the maps and flashes them to the ECU. However, with the software switch, where are the maps held? Or am I missing the point?

from what i understand, the maps/files are stored in the ECU (flash memory?) and the flashloader just 'points' the ECU to the address of the alternative file

or something like that

from what i understand, the maps/files are stored in the ECU (flash memory?) and the flashloader just 'points' the ECU to the address of the alternative file

or something like that

Correct.

Think of your ECU like a hard drive - the hardware is not bespoke to each model of car, but what's programmed inside them is.
For exaple, I think the ECU on an S3, is the same hardware you'll find in a Focus (I'm sure I read that somewhere... anyway!).
What this means is, within an ECU, all the standard programming may take up 70% of the available spacea s the hardwae is designed to work across all sorts of cars.
What GIAC, Revo, etc do, is use the 'free' space in the ECU to add their programmes, all encrypted and 'hidden' from view.

The flash loader therefore simply tells the ECU which programme to use.

HTH