JMB RetrofitsBadger5

View Poll Results: Do you wanna fight?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Mother ucka!

    7 31.82%
  • Nah man, its cool!

    15 68.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 96
  1. #1
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332

    Why is there so many IDIOTS on a-s.net....?!

    Following on from Benskin07's thread, but wanted to take another direction.

    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    im one.... lol

  4. #3
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    I didnt say that

    Im talking about all the childish *****ing that seems to be going on lately.

    I think life is getting to some people and come here to blow off steam lol.

    GET OUT AND ENJOY REAL LIVING!!

    Go take your kid to the park and watch his face light up whilst your pushing him on the swings. Go visit your gran and take her shopping!

    Do something that makes you realise its theres more to life than just being miserable with your lot. ITS PATHETIC!

    Rant over
    Last edited by WiZBiT; 23rd April 2009 at 10:20.

  5. #4
    HotboxDeluxe's Avatar
    automatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, DE
    Posts
    1,127


    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

  6. #5
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by WiZBiT View Post
    I didnt say that


    GET OUT AND ENJOY REAL LIVING!!

    Go take your kid to the park and watch his face light up whilst your pushing him on the swings. Go visit your gran and take her shopping!

    Do something that makes you realise its theres more to life than just being miserable with your lot. ITS PATHETIC!

    Rant over
    Or have a sherman....??
    Last edited by PaulAr; 23rd April 2009 at 13:11. Reason: Not 12 anymore, was giggling as I was typing.....taxi
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  7. #6
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Or have a ****..??

    LoL, A right good un! [img]http://www.livesets.com/forums/images/smilies/****.gif[/img]

  8. #7
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Clacton-on-Sea Essex
    Posts
    317
    There really is a welth of information on this site but a few idiots & a bit of mis managment though no worse than some site i use.
    2009- Phantom Black A3 S Line Black Edt 2.0T
    2008 - 2009 Emocian red Seat Ibiza FR TDi running p-torque stage 1 (STOLEN)
    2005 - 2008 Black Magic 1.4 Seat Ibiza Sport (PX ed)

  9. #8
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Not enough mods to quash the problems before they get out of hand. It's not a new thing though. Been more than a year.

    Some of the long serving and highly regarded members have either stopped coming on so much or moved to vagoc (and deleted all their old posts for whatever reason) so there is more traffic from newer members who don't follow the same guidelines that have been around for a long time. Then as soon as someone tries to say something about it they get shot down in flames.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  10. #9
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    Some of the long serving and highly regarded members have either stopped coming on so much or moved to vagoc .
    I've not seen you over there yet Staz - any reason ?
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  11. #10
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    Is that regards to my English staz i try i really do....I think its fine on here apart from the nastiness... Is it wrong to have a laugh now .... And if people move to other sites because of someones English then that's just snobbery.. Ive just been on vag com and its very boring no laughs at all its all tally hoe on there.. And a lot of the threads on there are on here plus its not as well set up ...There's a nice mix of people from all backgrounds on here which respect each other bar some disagreements we wouldnt be men if we didn't that's how wars start but moving to another thread because of new members is sad ..... Reminds me of a workin mens club
    Last edited by 10blazin; 23rd April 2009 at 11:52.

  12. #11
    APL TDi's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    285
    TBH, I thought you were a bit of an idot WizBit

    I have been involved in a very idiotic postt recently, they just happen sometimes.

    I have not see Benskin07 thread you refer to.... is it deleted? If not post the link
    2004 140 TDi sport 3dr (new turbo)

  13. #12
    Jamiekip's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by APL TDi View Post

    I have not see Benskin07 thread you refer to.... is it deleted? If not post the link
    I think he's just ripped off the subject title:
    Why Are There So Many IDIOTS On The Road....?!



  14. #13
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    I've not seen you over there yet Staz - any reason ?
    One forum is enough for me mate, I just don't have the time. I'd like to see ASN back up to it's old glory though.

    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    Is that regards to my English staz i try i really do....I think its fine on here apart from the nastiness... Is it wrong to have a laugh now .... And if people move to other sites because of someones English then that's just snobbery.. Ive just been on vag com and its very boring no laughs at all its all tally hoe on there.. And a lot of the threads on there are on here plus its not as well set up ...There's a nice mix of people from all backgrounds on here which respect each other bar some disagreements we wouldnt be men if we didn't that's how wars start but moving to another thread because of new members is sad ..... Reminds me of a workin mens club
    I wasn't suggesting people move from the forum because of bad English!

    You highlight one of the fundemental flaws in the forum though, undertanding other peoples points of view.

    I have been in some HHUUUGGGEEE arguements on ASN, especially at the start, because I'd make a comment and it would be taken the wrong way. An arguement would follow and it'd take forever to finally get the other person(s) to get what I meant in the first place. I learned from that 2 things, explain what you mean in a way that's not ambiguous OR just don't bother saying it at all.

    The noobs to the forum may find they have the same problem and it can easily put peoples noses out of joint but as long as you try to stay polite, try to understand others and try to change it becomes less of a problem.

    That's just one of the many problems though and to be honest I'm still a bit hungover so I'm outta here.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  15. #14
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    DAMN staz you lucky man wish i was hungover lol ive not been out since sunday .AAAAARGH IM GOIN MAAAAAD

  16. #15
    Jamiekip's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    That's just one of the many problems though and to be honest I'm still a bit hungover so I'm outta here.
    Mid week drinking.... ohhhh RISKY!


  17. #16
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    I'm in the army, what do you expect?

    I was on it the night before too. Diet starts monday, ahem!
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  18. #17
    Jamiekip's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    710
    Ahhh, fair play then fella, lord knows you guys earn it!
    Back on it tonight then... hair of the dog and all that lol


  19. #18
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    oh yeah mid week drinking weh heh i used to do every night drinkin lol then down to 2 or 3 nights now im lucky if i get once a week because of the baba lol ....

  20. #19
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Many idiots...in this forum in particular!
    Sadly, it's just cyclic behaviour. The 8L Forum was just as bad a few years ago.

    From a Moderator point of view, we struggle to keep minimum standards...and this includes use of unsuitable language (also in this thread. Please take NOTE!) and piss poor writing...and yes, it does make a difference.
    If you can't be arsed typing it properly, why should others be arsed answering?

    There aren't enough 'trusted' Moderators to cover everything, and the Admin side has slipped...hopefully it'll pick up a bit now though.

    People tend to forget, the Moderators don't upgrade the site, they don't host it, own it or generally manage it's progression...we only try to uphold the rules and stimulate conversation/discussion. Something it may be nice to have people remember the next time they are having a pop at the Moderators.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    232
    Jeez - You guys think this place is bad.
    I'm a noob. Moved here from CTRO (civictype-r.co.uk)

    ASN is like a very distinguished gentlemans club by comparison.

  22. #21
    Jamiekip's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    Is that regards to my English staz i try i really do....I think its fine on here apart from the nastiness... Is it wrong to have a laugh now .... And if people move to other sites because of someones English then that's just snobbery.. Ive just been on vag com and its very boring no laughs at all its all tally hoe on there.. And a lot of the threads on there are on here plus its not as well set up ...There's a nice mix of people from all backgrounds on here which respect each other bar some disagreements we wouldnt be men if we didn't that's how wars start but moving to another thread because of new members is sad ..... Reminds me of a workin mens club
    I don't think anyone left ASN due to peoples English.
    Speaking for myself here (Ess_Three - I'm sticking my neck out here, but please consider this asn useful feedback).
    I become involved in vagoc.co.uk simply down to the fact threads that should have become interesting and engaging discussion, deteriorated rapidly in to *****iness on here.
    I appreciate moderating is a thankless task, but at the time the 8P section was one of the busiest areas and had developed a bit of a community feel.

    Also - this 'was' an 8P owners area..... therefore it was full of people who owned that car, their pride and joy. It was an opportunity to share stories, projects and issues.
    Yet over time the moment someone suggest their car or modifications have enhanced the car in to a real super car chaser or RS4 beater, that person then get's ridiculed by people who no longer have the car, or have never owned that specifc model of car.
    I'm all for 'debate', but the arguments become open and shut cases.

    vagoc may not be blazin's cup of tea and that is his opinion and it's not there to become a new ASN - it's simply an alternative.

    Ess_Three - I hope things do start to improve - and if you're unhappy with any of the above, drop me a PM and I'll edit.

    J


  23. #22
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    I had noticed it was alittle quiter than it used to be but other than that I have no issue with the site or its content, keep meaning to take a look at the other site but as others have said it's difficult enough time wise keeping up with one site dedicated to the 8P.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  24. #23
    aythree
    Guest
    IMO I think that some people on here take it all a bit too seriously.

    I have noticed a handful of regulars on here that are quite knowledgable on most things to do with Audi's, but appear to see this as a right to lecture and be slightly short with other people.
    It's almost like they see it as their duty to try and "school" people on how to use this forum.
    I know people will say that it's done to try and keep things running smoothly, but most of the time the resulting argument ends up making things more "messy"!!

    The amount of times I have seen a new member ask a question and then receive loads of replies telling him to "stop being lazy" and to "search first before asking". Or receive loads of sarcastic replies.
    The new member then goes on to say they have already searched but couldn't find a straight answer to their question.... then they get told to search properly.... and then a battle commences!
    I've even seen people getting "told off" for including a quote after what they've typed, instead of before!!

    Basically, I just don't think adults take well to being told what to do by other adults. Especially ones they don't know or have never seen. And I can understand that.

    It hasn't happened to me....yet! Probably because I start most of my threads declaring that "I have already searched the site". Should I really have to do this to avoid an onslaught from these lecturing few???

    Generally I find this forum friendly and a very good place for info. However, I do feel as though it is quite finely balanced and it doesn't take much for a thread to tip over into a personal attack on someone or a ganging up session.

    But I must say, the arguing is flipping entertaining sometimes!!

  25. #24
    aythree
    Guest
    Oh christ!!! I've double posted by mistake!!!
    And I dont know how to delete it!!

    I can feel an attack coming





    (phew... deleted it!!)
    Last edited by aythree; 23rd April 2009 at 13:26.

  26. #25
    gixxer600k4's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    hampshire - UK
    Posts
    686
    i personally havnt really seen much rudeness or idiotic behaviour, i may just be oblivious to it but im pretty certain im not, the only time i have seen someone be rude is when someone was asking us about what VAGcom cable to use n we said get it off rosstech n he started going mad at us all. i agree with 10blazin n aythree that this is a nice site cos we all get on well and can have a laugh n joke about n thats all it is, we dont mean any offence about it, were all here to help one n other, if there is idiotic attitude, tell em, n hopefully they will appologise. i know i would, i just dont want to see this site ending up like tyresmoke or vwaudiforum where it is really dull n slow for people to respond. all the jokin about on here should just be taking lightly on the shoulder. we will have a laugh, n if it is a serious point then we will all do our best to help. i know i have had a few probs, people jokin around, but at end of the day, my problem was solved by people on here helping me, which i find really gratefull! so im more than happy to put up with a few jokes.

    i know what ur saying tho, that there is no need to get short tempered or anything over here, cos its only a website, n the person i spoke about earlier, had their post deleted n the mods told him to chill out basically!

    thats what i think anyway!
    Last edited by gixxer600k4; 23rd April 2009 at 13:57.

  27. #26
    gixxer600k4's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    hampshire - UK
    Posts
    686
    also, for the MODS, if you are unhappy with the way one of us are typing, the language we use or just the post in general, if you have time you could drop us a PM n we could change it, i know id be more than happy to keep my posts 'in order' for you guys n for the site, im a keen asn as are some others so im sure we will all help you guys out. thats obviously if you have enough time on ur hands cos i can imagine moderating this site could be a handfull!

  28. #27
    aythree
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer600k4 View Post
    i personally havnt really seen much rudeness or idiotic behaviour, i may just be oblivious to it but im pretty certain im not, the only time i have seen someone be rude is when someone was asking us about what VAGcom cable to use n we said get it off rosstech n he started going mad at us all. i agree with 10blazin that this is a nice site cos we all get on well and can have a laugh n joke about n thats all it is, we dont mean any offence about it, were all here to help one n other, if there is idiotic attitude, tell em, n hopefully they will appologise. i know i would, i just dont want to see this site ending up like tyresmoke or vwaudiforum where it is really dull n slow for people to respond. all the jokin about on here should just be taking lightly on the shoulder. we will have a laugh, n if it is a serious point then we will all do our best to help. i know i have had a few probs, people jokin around, but at end of the day, my problem was solved by people on here helping me, which i find really gratefull! so im more than happy to put up with a few jokes.

    i know what ur saying tho, that there is no need to get short tempered or anything over here, cos its only a website, n the person i spoke about earlier, had their post deleted n the mods told him to chill out basically!

    thats what i think anyway!
    I remember that thread about vagcom. And I remember thinking at the time that the guy was a bit harshly treated by people. I think he was new, asked the question, and got jumped on a bit from most angles.
    And once it turns into an argument no one backs down.

    I think the problem is.... misunderstandings are very easily made when reading text on a screen. Something said in one way can easily be taken in another way.... and then the fireworks start.

  29. #28
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekip View Post
    I don't think anyone left ASN due to peoples English.
    I know it happens...
    I know people who joined up and don't come back because so called adults have the communications skills of a 6 month old left playing on a Mobile Phone...or they tire of the same old Kebab-gangsta, illl-educted expressions and lack of effort.

    I'm not going to convince them to come back...they are adults and will make their own mind up...it just hacks me off when so called adults (you have to be to join) don't seem capable of using the full keyboard they have in front of them...either that, or they are bone idle.

    If they can't be arsed...why should I, or others?


    Speaking for myself here (Ess_Three - I'm sticking my neck out here, but please consider this asn useful feedback).
    I become involved in vagoc.co.uk simply down to the fact threads that should have become interesting and engaging discussion, deteriorated rapidly in to *****iness on here.
    True...
    Sadly though, much of it is the 'Halo' effect of new Audi drivers thinking they have the best/fastest car in the world ever. Once that has been put aside, the debates can be enlightening...many different views from non-blinkered enthusiasts.
    Nothing wrong with that, in my book. But the petty *****iness is dragging this place down.

    The 'Black Edition' thread in here is one fine example...I know of 1 or 2 new users who are so disgusted with the way that thread went, that they won't be back.
    So the idiots spoil it for everyone...nice.

    Of couse, if another forum floats your boat, that people should spend time on there too...
    I spend a lot of time on Club GTI...it doesn't stop me Moderating on here...just an alternative way of passing the time.


    I appreciate moderating is a thankless task, but at the time the 8P section was one of the busiest areas and had developed a bit of a community feel.
    I appreciate that...
    But that's why we provide other Forums such as the 'General' Forum...hell, they were provided because other users wanted them...and then they only post in the 8P section. Jesus wept...you (we, the Mods) can't win!


    Also - this 'was' an 8P owners area..... therefore it was full of people who owned that car, their pride and joy. It was an opportunity to share stories, projects and issues.
    It's not an owners area.
    Its an area for people interested in the 8P.....not specifically owners. Please understand, there is a difference.
    Many new users use the forum as a source of information BEFORE making their car choice.


    Yet over time the moment someone suggest their car or modifications have enhanced the car in to a real super car chaser or RS4 beater, that person then get's ridiculed by people who no longer have the car, or have never owned that specifc model of car.
    I'm all for 'debate', but the arguments become open and shut cases.
    That's the nature of the beast...
    The trouble is, there isn't a level playing field...an 18 year old with a 2.0TFSI as his 2nd car (after a 1.2 Corsa) for example has a completely differet view to a guy in his 40s who Club Races at weekends and drives an M3 or RS4 for example.

    Both may choose the 8P...but for different reasons...and with completely different levels of expectation and understanding of where an A3 sits in the grand scheme of things.

    Some people can't accept this, it seems.


    vagoc may not be blazin's cup of tea and that is his opinion and it's not there to become a new ASN - it's simply an alternative.
    I'm sure thare are sighs of relief over on vagoc about that.

    Alternatives are fine by me...I'm on enough of them...but we (A-S.net) won't openly advertise them...I'm sure everyone can understand that.
    Freedom of choice is a good thing...


    Ess_Three - I hope things do start to improve - and if you're unhappy with any of the above, drop me a PM and I'll edit.

    J
    I'm not unhappy at all...you are very welcome to post your opinions as you see fit.
    Fortunately you are able to post differing views in a clear manner...and whilst you may not agree with other differing views...you can accept them.
    If only everyone on here was like that, this place would have less toy-throwing and sulking going on.

    Now Rob is back active (FactionOne) hopefully the Admin side of things will pick up again.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  30. #29
    gixxer600k4's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    hampshire - UK
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by aythree View Post
    I remember that thread about vagcom. And I remember thinking at the time that the guy was a bit harshly treated by people. I think he was new, asked the question, and got jumped on a bit from most angles.
    And once it turns into an argument no one backs down.

    I think the problem is.... misunderstandings are very easily made when reading text on a screen. Something said in one way can easily be taken in another way.... and then the fireworks start.
    yea that is true, i remeber talking to him n he seemed ok, but as soon as someone said dont do it cos it will ruin ur car he just spoke rudely n so did others, n i admit i got a bit short tempered too cos if i ask for help, i do it politely n if people who are more knoledgable (sorry for spelling) tell me its a bad thing and should do it another way or buy something diferently, then i will take it n listen to them as they will know best, n in that case, i was telling him to go for rosstech vagcom purely cos he could ruin his pride and joy n i wouldnt like to see that happen to anyone!
    Last edited by gixxer600k4; 23rd April 2009 at 14:08.

  31. #30
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    Yeah, its easy to misunderstand sometimes.

    I mean here, Firebobby was ACTUALLY saying "I dont quite understand you"

    I can see that you do! I can also see that you are semi literate. You should try to use some form of punctuation, it makes reading you're banal statements a little more interesting. Also, have a point to your replies! Don't just keep repeating the same old diatribes. I also realise you have probably had a modest upbringing, going to the local comprehensive, shopping at tesco's, drinking cider on the park bench! As such I'm willing to make allowances for that.

  32. #31
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer600k4 View Post
    i personally havnt really seen much rudeness or idiotic behaviour, i may just be oblivious to it but im pretty certain im not, the only time i have seen someone be rude is when someone was asking us about what VAGcom cable to use n we said get it off rosstech n he started going mad at us all. i agree with 10blazin n aythree that this is a nice site cos we all get on well and can have a laugh n joke about n thats all it is, we dont mean any offence about it, were all here to help one n other, if there is idiotic attitude, tell em, n hopefully they will appologise. i know i would, i just dont want to see this site ending up like tyresmoke or vwaudiforum where it is really dull n slow for people to respond. all the jokin about on here should just be taking lightly on the shoulder. we will have a laugh, n if it is a serious point then we will all do our best to help. i know i have had a few probs, people jokin around, but at end of the day, my problem was solved by people on here helping me, which i find really gratefull! so im more than happy to put up with a few jokes.

    i know what ur saying tho, that there is no need to get short tempered or anything over here, cos its only a website, n the person i spoke about earlier, had their post deleted n the mods told him to chill out basically!

    thats what i think anyway!
    The Mods can't read every post...there are too many.
    We spend as much time as we can doing just that...which is why you find the likes of me posting in the 8P section...but things get missed.

    I have no problem missing threads...but if a thread goes pear-shaped and people start getting hacked off and insulting people, others get offended (it also breaks the rules) and we - the Mods - get notified.
    By then it's too later...we - the Mods - have to act.
    So warnings get handed out and posts editied/deleted.

    It's particularly bad from new users...
    They join up, ask a question, don't get an answer NOW, get hacked off, start swearing and insulting others...so they get banned.
    No need for it...if people would just chill out and see how the place rubs along.

    I don't know how other Forums are run or what sort of language is tolerated...but on here, you stick to the rules, or you don't come back. Siiiiimples.

    If a user gets warned they will be contacted by a Mod...their response dictates whether they get banned.
    Have a pop at a moderator and it's bye bye.
    Take in in good grace, calm the f**k down and reflect...and all is well.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  33. #32
    gixxer600k4's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    hampshire - UK
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    The Mods can't read every post...there are too many.
    We spend as much time as we can doing just that...which is why you find the likes of me posting in the 8P section...but things get missed.

    I have no problem missing threads...but if a thread goes pear-shaped and people start getting hacked off and insulting people, others get offended (it also breaks the rules) and we - the Mods - get notified.
    By then it's too later...we - the Mods - have to act.
    So warnings get handed out and posts editied/deleted.

    It's particularly bad from new users...
    They join up, ask a question, don't get an answer NOW, get hacked off, start swearing and insulting others...so they get banned.
    No need for it...if people would just chill out and see how the place rubs along.

    I don't know how other Forums are run or what sort of language is tolerated...but on here, you stick to the rules, or you don't come back. Siiiiimples.

    If a user gets warned they will be contacted by a Mod...their response dictates whether they get banned.
    Have a pop at a moderator and it's bye bye.
    Take in in good grace, calm the f**k down and reflect...and all is well.
    yea i totally respect that, i know you guys have a lot on ur hands, i just meant like if you were to come across some inapproprite posts. i know id change it straight away if i was informed you guys, i try and check posts before i send them that they are ok anyway.

  34. #33
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    As a mod on Briskoda.net I know what a thankless task moderating a site is. ASN does seem to have gone the way of the "wiced init" brigade, who mainly can't type anything near english.

    It's a disappointment really. I've been on ASN since 2004 and seen the place change immensely. Briskoda seems a lot more friendly than here.

    Ess_three... in all honesty you're the only mod I actually see anything of on here..... keep up the work your doing. I know it's a loosing battle sometimes though
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

  35. #34
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by aythree View Post
    IMO I think that some people on here take it all a bit too seriously.

    I have noticed a handful of regulars on here that are quite knowledgable on most things to do with Audi's, but appear to see this as a right to lecture and be slightly short with other people.
    It's almost like they see it as their duty to try and "school" people on how to use this forum.
    I know people will say that it's done to try and keep things running smoothly, but most of the time the resulting argument ends up making things more "messy"!!

    The amount of times I have seen a new member ask a question and then receive loads of replies telling him to "stop being lazy" and to "search first before asking". Or receive loads of sarcastic replies.
    The new member then goes on to say they have already searched but couldn't find a straight answer to their question.... then they get told to search properly.... and then a battle commences!
    I've even seen people getting "told off" for including a quote after what they've typed, instead of before!!

    Basically, I just don't think adults take well to being told what to do by other adults. Especially ones they don't know or have never seen. And I can understand that.

    It hasn't happened to me....yet! Probably because I start most of my threads declaring that "I have already searched the site". Should I really have to do this to avoid an onslaught from these lecturing few???

    Generally I find this forum friendly and a very good place for info. However, I do feel as though it is quite finely balanced and it doesn't take much for a thread to tip over into a personal attack on someone or a ganging up session.

    But I must say, the arguing is flipping entertaining sometimes!!
    I disagree with a couple of things here to be honest.

    I think being a long serving member does give you the right to try to "school" people. As I have mentioned before, this forum has been around a long time, way longer than me. I have always seen it as a very informative forum but with a sense of humour, just as you guys have mentioned already. I think it's great like that and hope it remains. Sometimes though people talk to each other the wrong way or their use of English isn't the best (we've had worse than you blazin so I'm not having a go). And it's only happened a few times but I couldn't believe it when I saw someone offer to have a fight! Christ! Grow up!

    We've had members in the past who just swear all the time. I don't think it's right to do that. I swear ALLLLLL the time at work, but it's fairly rare that I'll swear on here. There's no need for it so why do it? And if you're going to do it at least put a few &*($s in.

    When we try to "school" people it's nearly always done in a friendly way and it's not done very often really. Also we're trying to help the busy mods out too.

    When it comes to the search facility, I quite often reply with that response. If I have time I'll do the search myself and post the results too. The reason we do it though is because there are some questions that get asked over and over and over again. I'm always happy to help people out, but I don't have time to write the same things over and over, and I'm sure others are the same.

    By asking people to use the search they can find vast amounts of info themselves, also they might learn something else completely new that they only found by trawling through old threads. PLUS the next time they have a problem they will go straight to the search before asking. One benefit of this is it slows the board down. There are some very good threads that get pushed down the page and get forgotten about because others have posted new threads that could have been avoided.

    I understand that noobs might not know that the question has been asked but I hope they can accept that they should at least try to find an answer first.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  36. #35
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    I just wish youd post more often Staz. I love to see two young blondes dike out

  37. #36
    aythree
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    I disagree with a couple of things here to be honest.

    I think being a long serving member does give you the right to try to "school" people. As I have mentioned before, this forum has been around a long time, way longer than me. I have always seen it as a very informative forum but with a sense of humour, just as you guys have mentioned already. I think it's great like that and hope it remains. Sometimes though people talk to each other the wrong way or their use of English isn't the best (we've had worse than you blazin so I'm not having a go). And it's only happened a few times but I couldn't believe it when I saw someone offer to have a fight! Christ! Grow up!

    We've had members in the past who just swear all the time. I don't think it's right to do that. I swear ALLLLLL the time at work, but it's fairly rare that I'll swear on here. There's no need for it so why do it? And if you're going to do it at least put a few &*($s in.

    When we try to "school" people it's nearly always done in a friendly way and it's not done very often really. Also we're trying to help the busy mods out too.

    When it comes to the search facility, I quite often reply with that response. If I have time I'll do the search myself and post the results too. The reason we do it though is because there are some questions that get asked over and over and over again. I'm always happy to help people out, but I don't have time to write the same things over and over, and I'm sure others are the same.

    By asking people to use the search they can find vast amounts of info themselves, also they might learn something else completely new that they only found by trawling through old threads. PLUS the next time they have a problem they will go straight to the search before asking. One benefit of this is it slows the board down. There are some very good threads that get pushed down the page and get forgotten about because others have posted new threads that could have been avoided.

    I understand that noobs might not know that the question has been asked but I hope they can accept that they should at least try to find an answer first.
    I do understand the points you make but.... I've seen it quite a few times when people have searched first, they just don't mention it in their opening post, and then they get the usual replies.
    In your defense I have seen friendly replies/requests to search first, but I have seen many which are a bit sarcastic or lecturing.

    Also, when searching for info, the more common the question is, the higher the number of results you get. And a lot of the those results aren't actually answering the question, they maybe just contain the words you have searched for.
    Then I think people just go for the quick option and ask the question, rather than reading through 100's of posts which might not give them the answer they are looking for.

    When they get told to "search first", they are then presented with a dilema..... do I accept the unjustified request? Do I explain that I have already searched and maybe get a thumbs up or maybe a "search harder" reply?
    And all the time the original question/answer is moving further from focus.

    For me this "searching first" is just one example.
    The same sort of thing happens with people's grasp of written English. Yeah some people are lazy, others just can't type that well for some genuine reason or another. But they all seem to get bundled together as chavs and then get gunned down. Or are publicly questioned, which I don't agree with.
    Last edited by aythree; 23rd April 2009 at 14:42.

  38. #37
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote:
    vagoc may not be blazin's cup of tea and that is his opinion and it's not there to become a new ASN - it's simply an alternative.
    I'm sure thare are sighs of relief over on vagoc about that.



    why's that then essthree you got a problem with me to just because i miss i few caps offs or is it because i have a laugh now and again....

  39. #38
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    yawn
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

  40. #39
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    whats wrong with that question auroan he obviously has an opionion and i want to know why .... what you after brownie points

  41. #40
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332



 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO