2.0 TFSI Timing belt change

KRL

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody know at what interval a BWA 2.0 TFSI timing belt needs changing?

On the GTI the timing belt is changed at 60k/4 years. My car is booked in for a service next week and Audi dealer is saying it does not need to be changed until 75k/4 years.

Please can anybody confirm the correct interval?

looking in the service book it says 120k miles!

check in the service book mate

Yes the service book says 120k but VAG have changed the interval across the range. For the GTI I know the interval is definately now 60k so I can't understand why exactly the same engine in the A3 would be 75k?

On the GTI the timing belt is changed at 60k/4 years. My car is booked in for a service next week and Audi dealer is saying it does not need to be changed until 75k/4 years.

They told me 75k that is what I'm questioning.

I was told 75k also, so I had it done. On reflection and seeing the belt that came off, I would have left it at least another 10k miles (2 years motoring for me). But peace of mind is worth the £200ish I paid
dave

As from 2004, all Audis, except RS6s and A2s, are due ca-belts every 75k or 4 years. I hope that clears things up for you, KRL.

Thanks guys, that does clear things up for me.

I still think its a bit strange that the GTI with the same 2.0 TFSI engine has a shorter 60k/4 year interval for the Cam belt though. Maybe they think GTI owners drive their car harder than Audi owners...

Guys, sorry to bring up an old thread but is the BWA engine on a timing Belt or Chain? The service book says the interval is 115k miles which suggests its on a chain?

Timing belt from Crankshaft to camshaft pulley (includes driving the waterpump). There is a small chain which links the 2 camshafts.

The book, in my opinion, is wrong. There is no way i would leave a timing belt on for 115k miles.

The 2.0TFSI engine is a belt and needs to be changed 60k miles or 5 years.

Thanks for the clarification guys, I can't believe Audi got it wrong and stated the timing belt interval is 115k miles with no reference to number of years either!

Have any of you guys checked your Service Book to see if your is the same as ours?

Yep it's the same, i checked mine the other day after recent threads on the same subject.