What the heck is this? .... behind glovebox

Rafkoo

Reaction score
I removed the trim off the side of the glovebox to try to find the source of a rattle that has been bugging me for a month now :uhm:- and found a wiring loom with some plastic arm jutting out that had broken off from the glovebox hinge mechanism. See pictures below...

What is this wiring and why is it connected to the glove box by this plastic arm?

I can see why it's broken as there is no "give" in the loom when the glovebox is opened and the plastic would have just snapped...

Any ideas?

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

im not too sure about that, do you think it could be the glovebox light? or it could be something to do with the heating, as the unit is just behind there! hopefully its nothing to do with the SRS

That is the damper mechanism which includes the switch for the glovebox light.

Paul

just been looking at it again, does that little plastic arm that has snapped, attach to the glove box and move up and down inside that tube next to the connection when you open glove box? if so it may well be the light

Your glove box door has snapped, simple as that. It should be damped as you open it. Mines broke in exactly the same place, it cant be repaired. Sometimes the mech snaps and that can be repaired but yours has actually broke off the door itself.

The wires control your glove box light

The doors are £68 plus VAT from Audi iirc?

It could well be the glovebox light - as the light seems to be constantly on - I can see it glowing if I look hard through all the internals when that cover is off...

The arm doesn't seem to slide into the cylinder - at least I can't make it slide.... botht he loom and the arm have a hinge and both freely rotate (you can't see it on the arm in the photo as it's hidden behind part of the frame that comes towards the camera...

I may try to glue it back into place....

i had a rattling noise from mine for ages and it really ****** me off. i kept on hitting it which wasn't a good plan. it sounds to me that you need a new damper.

if im correct when you open your glove box the door should open by its self slowly. the damper controls that.

i had a rattling noise from mine for ages and it really ****** me off. i kept on hitting it which wasn't a good plan. it sounds to me that you need a new damper.

if im correct when you open your glove box the door should open by its self slowly. the damper controls that.

i wouldn't overly miss my slow opening glove box to be honest. its a right pain when your trying to get something out in a hurry (CD at the lights for example...)

unless the glove box in that photo is open it would pull out, not push in surely...

You might be able to glue it into place if you get a decent enough araldite style glue, but it'll need to be strong :)

I see.... since I've owned her (a year now).. I can't remember the glove box being damped... just dropped open always....

But that would make sense - and turn the light off too!

Do a search as I did a writeup to repair this part with epoxy as I did, solid as hell now & the wire is for the light, it has a sliding bar that splits 2 contacts within the damper/gear tube, when it slides out the contacts touch & when back in splits so no circuit for light to work, remove glovebox with about 6 bolts, then do as per the repair, if I can find link I'll post up.

Also for those that want faster opening, remove the side trim as per image, disconnect the damper as you can do without removing glovebox & open the tube/damper & put slithers of grease inside which speeds up the damper, then test it & clean it of grease until it is at a speed you want, sorted opens faster but doesnt drop to quickly, worked for me.