Exhaust Options for 2.0TDI (BKD)?

A_C4mby

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking in the background for a bit, so I thought I should get involved.

I've got a 2004 2.0TDI (BKD) sport.

I'm gradually getting ready for a chip upgrade, but as always I like to make sure I've done things properly before taking the next step!

Since I use this car as my everyday car (read: reliable and economical) I don't want to go mad with power, I'm interested in the 190-200fwhp range.

I'm just putting everything back together now having replaced the dmf and the timing belt. I've put in the upgraded Sachs clutch, and have had the turbo hybrided by Turbo Dynamics.

While I've got the car in the air I was thinking that I should replace the existing exhaust, and was wandering what the best solution was?

I've always used Milltek in the past, and will probably do the same now, but what about the CAT replacement, and whether to go for resonated or non-res. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Andy

If you have upgraded the clutch already and have modded the turbo then you should be able to acheive more power than the expected 190/200

what did you get done to the turbo exactly?

how much was the turbo mod and clutch???

I have 175bhp out of my A3 TDI at the minute and have a cat back miltek non-resonated - good enough set up but honestly dont notice a difference in performance with the exhaust and green filter and only a minor noise difference

I would be interested to hear about your clutch and turbo mods - I really am in two minds at the minute to further mod my car or sell it :( not sure what to do as I still love it to bits!

Boydie,

I've gone for:

Turbo Dynamics Stage 1 Hybrid Turbo MD375 - Suitable for 220fwhp - 360 deg thrust bearing, modified/trimmed turbine blades, fast spool up, better breathing high end. Really I just wanted to make sure that the turbo wouldn't let go when the boost pressure is increased with the chip. £525 + VAT.

Sachs upgraded clutch - from AMD. Organic friction plate, upgraded (Heavier sprig force) pressure plate, and a standard DMF. For more information see the Sachs-Performance website. Again, I didn'y want the clutch to start letting go when more torque is produced from the engine.

I heard that the only real restriction in the standard exhaust is the back box. So I was going to replace the system. But like you say if there is no real performance gain, what's the point. And I don't really want a loud car, considering it is a mile eater. I've been there done that with loud exhausts, too old now (at 35!!)!!! £750 + VAT

Cheers for your reply.

The miltek is far from loud mate - i was actually disappointed when I heard it first but when you go through the revs it sounds much better

Did you have to upgrade any other parts of the car to accomodate the turbo?

You can also purchase a miltek downpipe which is apparently worth it and goes very well with the exhaust

how much all together then for the turbo and clutch? did you upgrade the flywheel as well?

Boydie,

When upgrading the turbo, all I had to do was replace the gaskets, and a full oil and filter change.

The flywheel is a standard flywheel - the SMF ones are apparently very noisey/crude.

I did also replace the release bearing, I didn't really want to have to do that all over again. Changing the clutch is a complete nightmare on your own!!!

All in I think the value was about £1500 including the gaskets from VW.

Too late!

I ordered one last week and picked up this morning.

Prices look good though.