Black Edition

I pick up my A3 BE on monday (after having to put it off for ten days because of the snow). All this talk of S3s is making me feel like the poor relation :)

Woo hoo! I have just (finally) ordered my S3 black (optic) grill for my Black Edition. £214 (which is probably the current VAT-free price).

Should be here in 3 or 4 days :yum:

Chris

Does anybody know where the Bose amp is the comes as standard fitment to the black edition

It does with the S3 not checked for the others.

The brochure can be downloaded from the Audi website.

Edit - Do you mean where is it located in the car?

I assumed the black edition and the s3 had the same Bose system with the same components, ie, subwoofer and amp as well as the door speakers.
Where are the amp and sub located in the car, I've looked and can't see any cubby holes or anything for them. I would of expected to see some vents to allow heat out

I alway assumed the Amp was in the boot and thats what this BOSE diagram suggests...

bose.jpg

Ah, I guess I will just have to pull the side carpets up in the boot and a look, just out of curiosity

Hi folks, just picked up my replacement black edition to find there has been tome minor changes to the interior... Most notably the gear stick.

544a21c8.jpg

Last edited:
Xerohour, re gear stick, what do you think then compared to the last one ? Did'nt it use to have some red on it ? Also, I see you spec'd the L & Rain pack. Has it come with Coming / Leaving Home Light function within the pack ? I see the latest spec guide on the web states this is now included within this option.

Xerohour, re gear stick, what do you think then compared to the last one ? Did'nt it use to have some red on it ? Also, I see you spec'd the L & Rain pack. Has it come with Coming / Leaving Home Light function within the pack ? I see the latest spec guide on the web states this is now included within this option.

Last one had the same knob, but didn't have that finely sculpted collar/shaft!

Chris

I think there has been three version of the gear stick knob :)

The first, which was on the one i test drive way back last year has a red circle around the numbers and the silver band was quite small

The one that was on my last one (1st Sept registered) didnt have the red band but had a polished/chrome narrow circle but had a silver wrap around at the bottom of the knob head (hahahahaha)

This latest on has a much bigger brushed silver ring on the top, more like the air vent metal and the silver wrap at the bottom of the head is much more sculpted and is really nice in the hand!

Re: The Coming/Leaving Home fuction

Yes it is included in the pack and is really nifty, all elements of the feature are controlled through the DIS (I.e how long the light stay on). I dont know if this is new but the lights dont just come on/off... They fade really slowly in and out.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully mine should have all that as well then. When was your motor ordered ? Oct 09 spec guide did not show this function within the pack ( Dec 09 guide does ) and I did'nt have it when I speced the sensor pack before on a MARCH 08 plate model. Must be something they have added, why it was not standard within the pack before remains a mystery or maybe it was always there in the DIS and I'm being a bit of a gear KNOB !

My car was a November '09 order that was put through on priority so only took 6 weeks from order to delivery as the dealership. I was a little worried when I got in and there wasn't a physical button for the coming/leaving home lights.

Well I've just ordered my very first Audi, an A3 TDi 170 BE in Ibis White earlier this week so thought I would join here in case I had any questions later.

Looking through the posts it looks like everyone is really happy with their BE's, so I feel better spending the money on it! :)

On that note, anyone know how long it might take to come since the dealership was a bit vauge in saying 'about mid-March'... I want a date since I'm impatient at the best of times!

:sob:

Depends when it was ordered, but your gonna have the dilemma of choosing to get it early on a 59 or waiting and getting the 10 plate. Your dealer should have a better idea of when you will get your car when it goes on the production line. Give them a bell if your really impatient that's what's what they are there for.

I orginally said it was ordered a week ago but I think it was actually the 12th... I asked and the sales guy said it would be on a 10 plate when it finally appeared, so I guess that gives me my answer! :) I suppose I'll give my sales person an email in another week or so and see what's going on. Are they usually quite good at keeping in touch or should I really keep on them for info? I know nothing about how good they are since this is my first Audi, but hopefully not the last! :kissmyrings:

Just ordered! Sad day to say bye to the old 8L A3 and confine it to the scrappage pile. But onwards and upwards, I should take delivery in April!

Hi guys, I've followed this thread for a while. I've just sold my 2004 TDI sport and ordered a Sportback BE TDI start/stop, I have been told it should be delivered to me on March 22nd. So I have nearly 8 weeks without a car, damn its going to be a long time.

Looking at how you guys have spec'd your cars I have gone for something similar; Phantom black, bluetooth, ipod, cruise control, interior light pack, rain and light sensor pack, alacantara (instead of the cloth), silver stitching and model deletion on rear.

Has anyone else gone for start/stop?

Just had a call from my Audi salesman to say that my S3 SP Black Edition cannot be specced with Matt Brushed Aluminium Inlays , that it needs to be the standard Piano Black for the BE.
I was under the impression that the Inlays could be substituted ?

I just think the Piano Black are a nightmare to keep clean and they also seem to get fine swirl marks on them no matter how carefully you try to clean them.

Bit of a B*gger but what can you do ? Has anyone else tried to change this part of their order and been successful ?

Several Black Edition orderers have managed to spec the silver inlays when ordering. It seems to depend who your dealer is I think!

Chris

Just had a call from my Audi salesman to say that my S3 SP Black Edition cannot be specced with Matt Brushed Aluminium Inlays , that it needs to be the standard Piano Black for the BE.
I was under the impression that the Inlays could be substituted ?

I just think the Piano Black are a nightmare to keep clean and they also seem to get fine swirl marks on them no matter how carefully you try to clean them.

Bit of a B*gger but what can you do ? Has anyone else tried to change this part of their order and been successful ?

I had the same response from my dealership. However, if you download the brochure from the website, it clearly states that the inlays can be changed. My dealership wasn't able to order this as their ordering system hadn't been updated to coincide with the new brochure. I had them call Germany, and yip, you can spec the brushed alu inlays. I have, so they'd better arrive when the car arrives in March!

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, can't remember what page in the brochure, but here are the images you need to speak to your dealer about:
inlay1.jpg

inlay2.jpg

Many thanks for that Rico,
I hope I am in time to get it changed. The salesman caught me off guard this morning by telling me their ordering system would not accept the change of Inlays, so I verbally agreed to the Piano Black. I do hope I am not too late to get it changed as I know that I can live with the Piano Black but they will annoy me. Also I think the cabin light gets lifted with the aluminium.
Keeping fingers crossed !!

You should be fine. Small changes can be made early on I'm led to believe. It's just when the factory confirm the order that you can't make any. Well, you could cancel the order and then re-order, but it'll add more days onto the waiting!

Get the brochure downloaded, print it (they didn't have updated brochures in the dealership when I was in to place order at start of Dec), go in and say to them that it's in the brochure so it must be able to be done. The salespeople themselves often don't know, well, from my experience. I had the privilege of speaking with the girl who places the orders in my dealership, so she was more than happy to call them to confirm. She then ensured it was on the order form. I subsequently saw my order on the salesman's PC, not everything as per on the main order. I was a tad skeptical at this point, but I asked the girl who places the order to email me a copy of what she was putting through and it clearly stated that alu inlays were requested.

Just keep on at them, you're spending a wad and it should be to your liking or as per options available in the brochure! Let us know how you get on though.

A picture paints a thousand words...:icon_thumright:

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have checked the brochure online audi.co.uk but it is actually stating in this one that the matt brushed are in fact not an option ?
I have on the mean time told my dealer to get it checked out by calling Germany ( which they say they are doing ?? ) but again thanks for your info and extract for your order. Looking forward to seeing mine in print like that soon as well. I Just hope by the time Audi get organised I do not have to wait to long into March to get the car !!

Will let you know what the dealer comes back with anyway

Bizarro! I just checked my docs, I downloaded the new brochure on 1st December 2009 when the S3 Black Edition was announced for order. This brochure has "valid from December 2009" and clearly states that the inlays are changeable to brushed alu for the S3 BE on page 38.

The current downloadable brochure on audi.co.uk says "valid from January 2010", so you may well be correct and therefore the dealer may be correct that you now can't change this element of the car. I'd like to look at the new brochure, but it's crashed my browser, cool.

Once it sorts itself out I'll take a look and we can see what your dealer says too.

Gents, bad news for Will. The online brochure has been changed and the brushed ali is no longer an option on black edition.

Thanks for checking Japper, yes looks like the dealer is right for a change !!
Not to worry will still chase them on it as you never know what may come of it if it is pushed hard enough ..........

Thanks Carl. That's that then. Will, keep pushing as you say, you never know.

Thanks for checking Japper, yes looks like the dealer is right for a change !!
Not to worry will still chase them on it as you never know what may come of it if it is pushed hard enough ..........

Will, check out the bottom of this thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?87662-What-is-around-the-corner

Looks like some folk are still able to spec BE cars with alu inlays instead of piano. Whether the model is an S3 or not shouldn't make a difference I would'nt of thought?

Thanks Rico I had missed that posting,
I am still awaiting confirmation from the salesman as to whether I can spec them or not. E mailed him again just now and will feedback when i hear. As you say whether it is the S3 or not I would not imagine would make too much of a difference.
Still keeping all my bits crossed that it can be done !!!

Just had 2 x bits of bad news
Firstly I cannot spec the Aluminium inlays for the S3 in Black Edition - confirmed as only available as option now on all other models except the BE

Also because I have specced Suzuka Grey this will add 5 weeks to build and so now I am told instead of March delivery I am now looking at late May !!!! Not a happy chappy today I must say .......... dissapointed is an understatement

Well after sending a couple emails to the dealer I have been told that I should have the car PDI'd and ready by week 12... I'm assuming there isn't any strange way of working this out and it's as simple as counting the weeks from the beginning of January? Making it the 22nd of March (ish)?

willmac - sorry to hear that, I'm not impressed with the extra wait for you. I'm climbing up the walls here and like I say it should be here week 12... :-S

I know Dan, it is going to seem like a long few months......... I am like a kid on Xmas Eve at the moment so god knows what I will be like by May !!

Hope your week 12 comes around for you very soon, although at the moment there are a lot of us just wishing our lives away !!

Will, rubbish news mate. The Suzuka Grey is the off shade of White, right? Take comfort in the fact that your S3 will look absolutely stunning! Not many Suzuka's about, photos don't show the colour off at all, in the flesh is a different story. There's a Q7 near me in Suzuka, weapon! Must be an Exclusive colour if they've pushed your delivery date? Think DaveS3turbo had a similar delay with his Sepang Blue S3.

Rico, yes not good news but like you say there are not too many of the Suzuka Grey's around so I am sure it will be worth the wait. At least it will give me a few more months to save up for a few mods like 19" wheels, lowering springs etc .......... just trying to make my glass half full as opposed t half empty at the moment !
I am sure the jealousy will creep in when I start to see all the photo's of the new S3 BE's creeping into the forum come March including yours no doubt !

It'll be worth the wait, no doubt about that. I want 19's too, but I'll have to wait a while for them, so downer on my part. Looking forward to a meet though!

Hi all,

Just thought I would join this fine organisation, placed an order for a A3 Black Edition. I've been told to expect delivery around middle of April so got a wait on my hands.

I went for the following:

Ibis White 3dr
2.0TDI 170BHP
S-Tronic
comfort pack
heated front seats
interior light pack
folding mirrors

Does anybody know whether the steering wheel and gear stick are perforated on the black edition?

Paul