twitchy handling HELP PLZ

khalil

Reaction score
hi can someone help me on this , my car feels twitchy when going at high speeds, i never had this problem before, had a MOT few weeks back and the front wishbone bush is on its way out, you think that could be the problem, i also swaped the tryes around from rear to front, any ideas please guys??

Is there a lot of tread left? Do your wheels need balancing? Was the loss of grip at the front or rear?

Is there a lot of tread left? Do your wheels need balancing? Was the loss of grip at the front or rear?

on the front there is lots of tread left, i dont think the wheels need balancing, how can you tell if they need balancing?its at the front wheels they seem twitchy when i drive hard, feels like the car is going to slide off, but at low speeds it seems fine, you think it can be the tyre pressure, at the moment me running 36psi front 34 rear, the tyre are 225 40 18 contiental,would the worn out wishbone bush caues this problem

Yes very likely as there isn't a nice stable platform for the car to sit on so you should get it sorted ASAP.

If the wheels need balancing the steering will wobble at higher speeds. I just had to do mine after swapping front to rear, at about 85+ it was a bit juddery. They were only 10 grams out. It shouldn't cause a loss of grip really but it's always worth getting them checked every few thousand miles.

Yes very likely as there isn't a nice stable platform for the car to sit on so you should get it sorted ASAP.

If the wheels need balancing the steering will wobble at higher speeds. I just had to do mine after swapping front to rear, at about 85+ it was a bit juddery. They were only 10 grams out. It shouldn't cause a loss of grip really but it's always worth getting them checked every few thousand miles.

i thought that once you had the tyres fitted its balanced for until you change the tyre again?

i thought that once you had the tyres fitted its balanced for until you change the tyre again?

NOPE! As the tyre wears the balance goes out, plus just driving about can offset the balance. Only slightly of course, as I say mine were only 10 grams out after 8000 miles. It was still instantly noticeable though once I got up to speed.

i get it checked soon as i can , also will sort out that bush, it goes all twitchy at over 80mph, also should i get it tracked, and how would you know if the tracking was off?

ok i had the tyre balanced they were all off quiet abit, i also had the wishbone bush replaced, and had the tracking checked but it was spot on, the drive is much much better but still at times is still little twitchy, at high speeds it dont twitch at all now but its more like when i sometimes brake hard or it i go over some potholes, as i say its not as bad as before but i like to get it sorted out, any more advise?? the only thing i could think of is the tyres that i swaped around, the front were worn so i did swap the rears which had alot of tread, to the front, you think that could be the cause?, or tyre pressure? before i was running 36 front 34 rear, now i changed it to 32 front 30 rear, that has improved the problem a little,and also changed the rear discs and pads and front brakepads, but like i said the problem is still there a little, any tips??

I had problems before with the steering wheel vibrating.
Bought some really thick quilted driving gloves, never noticed it after that....:nyah:

sorry not much help that....I`ll get me coat (and another beer)

Paul

what car do you have Khalil? Is it 2 or 4 wheel drive? Standard or upgraded suspension? On british roads (crappy) your going to get a bit of wandering on 40 profile tyres. Have you checked the track rod ends? They can cause vagueness if worn.

its 2.0tdi sport, 3 door, on standard sport suspension, the track rod are fine because it passed the mot few weeks back,you think its just the 40 profile tyres that causes it? also the car feels alot bouncy on roads

some possibilites include:

some tyres just behave badly as they wear down - change at 3mm not 1.6
reduce front pressure to increase front grip - try 34 all round and see what happens
balancing - done
bent wheel - may still be balanced but have a run-out.
front tracking - done
rear toe - if you toe out at the rear it can be very unstable
difference in rear camber - proper 4 wheel alignment and check the thrust angle is zero
front top mount gone? or loose - not very likely at all
steering rack mounts loose or broken -even less likely
other bush worn through - sounds like you have had these checked

im sure there are lots of others to check if these things are ok

some possibilites include:

some tyres just behave badly as they wear down - change at 3mm not 1.6
reduce front pressure to increase front grip - try 34 all round and see what happens
balancing - done
bent wheel - may still be balanced but have a run-out.
front tracking - done
rear toe - if you toe out at the rear it can be very unstable
difference in rear camber - proper 4 wheel alignment and check the thrust angle is zero
front top mount gone? or loose - not very likely at all
steering rack mounts loose or broken -even less likely
other bush worn through - sounds like you have had these checked

im sure there are lots of others to check if these things are ok

thanks for that mate,

ok today i want to a machanic and he had at look at the trackrod etc but seems all ok,
i told him about the tyre swap which i did, the rear tyres which i had at the front it seems that the inner edge of the tyre is worn a little so he thinks that the front tracking might be off a little,as of a result the rear tyre dont sit completly flat on the road, so i think that might be the problem, but his tracking machine was out so i will have to wait till monday,

as you said about the "rear toe - if you toe out at the rear it can be very unstable" mine is out a little because when i got it tracked by someone else last week he said your tracking is ok apart from very little at the rear and said dont worry about it, and the front was out very little too,
but i think on monday i get it proper tracking done,

tbh I think its obvious, you have worn tyres now at rear, its doesnt have as good grip, it is no doubt minimal twitch but of course faster you go more noticeable, what happens if you swap tyres back?

tbh I think its obvious, you have worn tyres now at rear, its doesnt have as good grip, it is no doubt minimal twitch but of course faster you go more noticeable, what happens if you swap tyres back?
lol i did not think of swapping them back, good point,
the rears are worn but not to the indicators as yet

its been wet recently, is the twitching on wet roads as less tread equals less channels/space within the tyre for road water to clear out quicker which inturn makes the grip even less with potential for aquaplaining effect even if minimal which would make it twitch

just checked the tyre depth and it only 2mm left on the rear, the front has plenty, i think i be swapping the wheels back to how they where, and fingers crossed that it all goes back to the solid ride again,

yeah tyres with the most tread should go on the rear

just a few of the many things on it

http://www.etyres.co.uk/flashmovies/new-tyres-rear-etyres.htm
http://www.celtictyres.co.uk/front-rear.php
wow i did not know that at all, i always thought that a new tyre should always go at the front, or a tyre with more tread at the front,
so lets say when i swap my wheels back tommorow the rear will have more tread and front less, so in few weeks when i by 2 new tyres for the front, i should put the rears wheels back to the front and the new ones at the rear? is that correct?

never go to the wear indicators on tyres - there is good research that shows they get dangerous in wet/slippy conditions below 3mm so change them at this depth at the latest

just let you guys know i changed the wheels back to how they were, and yes the twitchy handling was now gone, but i still need to get the new tyres very soon, as in the wet it does feel that it my slide, or that might just me thinking too much lol,
thinking of getting the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 225 40 18, my local does them for £100 fitted,
and like to thanks all you guys for your help, cheers all

I had F1's on my lexus is and as soon as my audi need them i will put them on that. brilliant allrounder and suprising lasted for ages.

I had F1's on my lexus is and as soon as my audi need them i will put them on that. brilliant allrounder and suprising lasted for ages.
you say your lasted ages,how many miles?
but i read in few places that they dont last very long that was the only down thing about them, is that true?because they have a soft compound for grip