Confirmation my S3 is fixed.

block

Reaction score
Well as alot of you will know ive had a bit of trouble with my s3 of late, anyhow to cut a long story short audi replaced my ecu and injectors to fix a misfire problem i was having. due to this i needed to have my giac remap redone on the new ecu.
Today i hve been up to star performance in kircaldy to have the new ecu flashed with jims map (not the hammer map) and to get the car rolling roaded to check all was well.

anyhow heres the results.......

S3dyno141008-run1_edited-1.jpg

As you can imagine im pretty chuffed with the results:hubbahubba::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::rockwoot::anbet:

It just goes to show what a good map and a decent intake kit can do to free up the s3. as far as im concerned thats enough power without troubling the fuel pump and i dont think i'll be adding anything else as it'll mean i'll need to add the uprated fuel pump as well.

Btw it made nearly 300bhp as standard with just the intake but we forgot to print the graph.

Happy days dude.
Just posted in S3-talk.com, but what a roller coaster ride just really pleased you're all fixed now!

Interesting figures - your at the wheel figures are almost identical to mine 240bhp so just goes to show that dyno's are a nightmare at trying to work back up to the flywheel as mine pushed 315bhp!!!
I'm hoping to test a few CAI's and report back in the next few months...

I imaging you'll be doing a fair bit fo driving this weekend then! :)

Nice one mate!

Take it is Jims own map and not a version he has made of the GIAC one?

Hmm if I went up what would I ask for?

Nice one mate!

Take it is Jims own map and not a version he has made of the GIAC one?

Hmm if I went up what would I ask for?

jim was the one who actually programed giacs original map for the s3, the hammer was done by some tuner in south africa apparantly.

He wont do the hammer map now as hes proven its no better than his own and just alters the torque so its more of a kick than a sustained effort, hes more interested in the area under the graph.

You can ask him to do the hammer but he will laugh at you.

I'm confused by that.... can you explain more?
I thought GIAC were from the states???

I'm hoping to test a few CAI's and report back in the next few months...

Block's done the right thing and got himself a Forge CAI. The business. You won't go wrong with one of these - there are now 3 dyno readouts on this site which prove a Forge will give you 10bhp extra at least (mine, Blocks and Rabbit222s).

Do it !

They are but they dont have s3's in the states, so how do you think they developed the map?:uhm: i always wondered that myself till jim told me.

Block's done the right thing and got himself a Forge CAI. The business. You won't go wrong with one of these - there are now 3 dyno readouts on this site which prove a Forge will give you 10bhp extra at least (mine, Blocks and Rabbit222s).

Do it !

Aye im chuffed to bits with mine especially now its mapped too, even jim at star was impressed and he told me not to bother fitting one.
today he recon'd there was no way id have pulled those figures with the standard airbox.

Ohhhh buga.... looks like I'll be buying an Evoms then!
Question though - the at the wheel power of 240bhp is exactly the same as mine and surely that is the more relaible reading on a dyno????
So in effect both our cars are pushing the same???
Or have I missed something????

P1020185.jpg

:uhm: im not sure, untill we both get on the same dyno at the same time we'll never know (which will probably never happen due to our locations).

just buy an intake anyhow you wont regret it.

:uhm: im not sure, untill we both get on the same dyno at the same time we'll never know (which will probably never happen due to our locations).

just buy an intake anyhow you wont regret it.

I've jsut signed up to go to this.
Fancy getting down for it?
Intersting test:

Leons car with GIAC and nothing else
My car with GIAC and carbonio and panel filter
Your car with GIAC and CAI

:)

I've jsut signed up to go to this.
Fancy getting down for it?
Intersting test:

Leons car with GIAC and nothing else
My car with GIAC and carbonio and panel filter
Your car with GIAC and CAI

:)

it would depend where at mate as fuel aint cheap and im not spending £120 odd just to prove a point.

Think my mind is made up then!

I didn't want the hammer map anyway as I was put off with the problems I have heard about so looks like heading up to Scotland

Think my mind is made up then!

I didn't want the hammer map anyway as I was put off with the problems I have heard about so looks like heading up to Scotland

Go for it jamie you'll not regret it, jim really knows his stuff, and thats not to bad a run for you. just make sure they can remap the new s3 before you comit.

JamS3 - isn't it still a GIAC map though?
I'm asking Regal what the crack is and if there are different style of GIAC maps - this is all new to me, and I might get Blocks added on to my flashloader (additional maps are like £30) to try for a while!

JamS3 - isn't it still a GIAC map though?
I'm asking Regal what the crack is and if there are different style of GIAC maps - this is all new to me, and I might get Blocks added on to my flashloader (additional maps are like £30) to try for a while!

I think it still is GIAC but Jims bespoke version, I keep thinking the hammer map is just too much and stressing parts on some cars, I done want this with mine!

My family only live 20 mins from star so will be a good run up.

Block, take it the new S3 (facelift) requires something different to yours?

Revo seemed to have something to say about the new TFSI engines which I posted on another thread.

I think it still is GIAC but Jims bespoke version, I keep thinking the hammer map is just too much and stressing parts on some cars, I done want this with mine!

My family only live 20 mins from star so will be a good run up.

Block, take it the new S3 (facelift) requires something different to yours?

Revo seemed to have something to say about the new TFSI engines which I posted on another thread.

Well considering Blocks is putting out more than the hammer map, i'm not 100% sure I agree with your thinking :uhm: but blocks comments have opened a new train of thought with me too!
Send Regal a post on s3-talk.com - they are pulling together a GIAC forum offer across several GIAC dealers - give them a nudge to speak to Star, might save you a few quid!!!

With regards the new S3 v old S3 question. The engine is different, same as the TT-S I believe, which has several developments over the old engine. Maps are out for the TT-S so shouldn't be a problem for the facelift S3, though as Block says call ahead, or again ask Regal as they are the UK distributor for GIAC, and check that they have done their tests and made it available.... actually, that just triggered a thought, the map on blocks car maybe written by Jim, but it's for the old engine.... not yours......

Ask Regal mate - they should be able to answer alll your questions.

J

Jamie do you or anyone know exactly how the new facelift engine is different?

I know the map is different with more linear boost and more low down torque but there has been no tech specs posted??

I hear what you are saying about the hammer map and blocks power figures but if the hammer map was written in South Africa then it MAY not be entirely suitable for UK cars as don't they have much poorer fuel quality there?

I can remember someone from there on here saying that...the map might not like 99-100 ron fuel we have over here??

Ive just remembered something jim said to me about the regal rolling road day and the fans they used not being up to much, heres a pic (thanks jamie)....

IMG_3973.jpg

Now heres jims at star....

Image002.jpg

note there are 2 of those at jims one on either side.

now which do you think will give a better actual reading? considering regals dont even bring air in from outside they just recycle the warm stuff.

Its no wonder rolling road results vary so much.
i think alot of the readings from the regal day will be very conservative simply due to the fans.

ive also just noticed that prosports were just as bad.

Jamie do you or anyone know exactly how the new facelift engine is different?

I know the map is different with more linear boost and more low down torque but there has been no tech specs posted??

I hear what you are saying about the hammer map and blocks power figures but if the hammer map was written in South Africa then it MAY not be entirely suitable for UK cars as don't they have much poorer fuel quality there?

I can remember someone from there on here saying that...the map might not like 99-100 ron fuel we have over here??

I don't know the exact differences between the engines mate, sorry, but I'll hazard a guess and say the injectors & fuel pump are enhanced and no doubt some other littel differences - also somethings been done to drop the CO2 figures between the old and new engines.

With regards to the map, GIAC are from North America and the maps are written specifically for UK fuel. I went through this process before deciding on mine and i'm 100% confident that everything is suitable for the UK, they even do higher Octane maps for 101 RON plus I believe.

I think the issues people have seen are not as a result of the map, simply the map has exagerated a prblem - however Block is probably best placed to comment on that as he's gone through the pain - but judging by the fact he's put his map straight back on probably says a lot!

HTH

Agree with you there jamie. Theres sod all wrong with the maps, its just that they highlight existing problems.

note there are 2 of those at jims one on either side.

now which do you think will give a better actual reading? considering regals dont even bring air in from outside they just recycle the warm stuff.

Its no wonder rolling road results vary so much.
i think alot of the readings from the regal day will be very conservative simply due to the fans.

ive also just noticed that prosports were just as bad.

The fans were pretty powerful in fairness but I hear what you're saying. The irony is, in the morning my car ran 305bhp and was about the 4th car on and it was cool air temp.
In the afternoon after loads of cars had been in and out and it was warmer anyway, my car ran 314bhp with no other changes. Go figure!!!

Might venture up to star myself and find another 10bhp for nothing :yahoo:

I think most have said before, the rolling road is no good for max figures, every road is different and there are too many variables, it's great for comparisons on a day and for showing the power profiles I guess!

Looking at both our maps I'd say the power and torque curves look pretty good. :thumbsup:

Bit worrying though the problems that have appeared on very new cars!

Jamie I'm sure you are right re the updated fuel pump/injectors as this rings a bell from something I have read.

Bit worrying though the problems that have appeared on very new cars!

Jamie I'm sure you are right re the updated fuel pump/injectors as this rings a bell from something I have read.

but its better to remap it early and find the fault quicker, rather than it materialising in a couple of years.

Thats my excuse:keule:

I agree with you Block - I'd rather find it, get it sorted and be on my way!
We can have more of a chat about it on Saturday JamS3 - you can even take mine for a spin if you want (with your background I trust you!!!).

J

Theres so many variables. Different setups, Different RR's, different bits n bobs. It boggles my head too! To be honest though, if my car made 315 ish id be happy with that!

To say the GIAC causes problems is a bit disconcerting, but at the same time i feel strongly that the Giac delivers the power in such a smooth way, i cant see how that could be the case.. :think:

Theres so many variables. Different setups, Different RR's, different bits n bobs. It boggles my head too! To be honest though, if my car made 315 ish id be happy with that!

To say the GIAC causes problems is a bit disconcerting, but at the same time i feel strongly that the Giac delivers the power in such a smooth way, i cant see how that could be the case.. :think:

i agree with you there mate, i turned up today thinking i'll be happy if it makes 305-310 bhp, hence why i was chuffed to bits.:rock:

Wheres this Star place then?

Theres a LOT of posts to read thru to find out :p

If its up Cumbria way i may take a look as that would be a nice set of roads on the way :)

Also, if his RR is pimpin out 330 bhp readouts. I want some of that too :p

Wheres this Star place then?

Theres a LOT of posts to read thru to find out :p

If its up Cumbria way i may take a look as that would be a nice set of roads on the way :)

Also, if his RR is pimpin out 330 bhp readouts. I want some of that too :p

its up past edinburgh mate and then about another 30 miles up. kirkcaldy.