Odd question, economy enhancing mods

LDoR

likes his V6
Reaction score
This may sound strange, but you often hear that one of the fringe benefits of certain mods designed for performance is that they have a positive effect on fuel economy. i.e. an exhaust helps the engine breath easier = less resistence in the engine.

So from experience here, what mods have had the most positive effect on economy and (i know you probably never meassured this) but by how much.

Just might help me sell the idea of mods o my girlfriend if they save me money in the long run.

Cheers

Remapped bot S3's i've owned and saw improved MPG on both.

Old 8L S3 had a Superchip and gained 2-3mpg on a long run
New 8P S3 has GIac and has seen a 3-4 mpg increase on a long run.

I do a run from the south to the north (260 miles) almost monthly and noticed straight after each remap. Now change in driving style just consistently better MPG.
However, in both cases when pressing on, MPG onbviously drops.....

Changing our driving habit is the cheapest way to improve economy.

Since doing the Milltek and Forge CAI on mine I've seen long journeys go from 26mpg average to 31/32 mpg. Remap may be a factor also.

But I'd have to do a lot of miles to recoup the £1,800 those items cost me ! LPG is the only sensible investment to make if economy gains are your goal.

Changing our driving habit is the cheapest way to improve economy.

Oh believe me i have. I'm always on the look out ahead for stopping cars and traffic lights so that i can come off the throttle early and coast, i'll short shift and try and drive as smooth as i can. I do this on my commute as this is where i am trying to save fuel, on the weekend i'm happy to just relax and have fun with the car.

Has anybody here actually done an LPG conversion on and S3? Seems to be a few people here who recommend it.

motechperformance.co.uk do 'eco' maps these days as well as traditional remaps, going to get the wife's monster truck done

Talk to 4Real about mysteriously stolen cars, lol, sorry had to!!!

Its amazing that how come my mate Simon@amd can get upto 10mpg better from a Q7 than audi could have with there technical know how, just totally amazes me how **** the base economy is

Keeping tyres correctly inflated is what I find to be very significant from the economy point of view. On my Sportback, if I let them go down 3psi from the 38/35 they're supposed to be economy suffers around 10%.