Well I took delivery of a new A3 on Friday.
It's a 2.0L TDI Sport Quattro (170ps) with the new common-rail diesel engine.
I like the car, it looks great. The dual-zone climate control is a treat and works very well and the chrome around the vents gives a nice, modern look to the cabin. I would have liked to have the option of LED DRL's but that's only an option on the S-line trim. The cabin is great, the Audi Concert audio system is adequate for my needs and the armrest is comfortable.
There are some small but significant problems however.
- Sun blinds - they aren't long enough and don't reach across far enough, allowing a lot of light gets into the sides of the eyes. I've not had this problem on other cars I've owned
- The handbrake - when you lift it to the top notch it hits the bottom of the armrest and causes it to lift slightly, that's poor design in my opinion!
- Steering wheel audio controls - it's not possible to jump radio pre-sets with these controls!! When you scroll the thumb-wheel you simply move up the waveband rather than jump to your next pre-set radio station.
- The glove-box - it is absolutely tiny, titchy, teeny-weeny...you get the idea. Not good!
It's a lovely engine. The noise is well damped when you are inside the cabin but you'll still know it's a diesel. There's plenty of poke and power. There's still some power even in sixth gear, not a lot but enough so that you don't always have to shift down a gear when overtaking.
The power itself still comes in a rush but not a short sharp rush, there's still plenty of power in the mid-range of each gear and some left in the top range too (but it has petered out a bit at this stage).
There are some slight problems.
The steering is a bit light but it's not completely without feel. I'm only getting about 43-45 mpg at the moment, I'd like to get a lot more than that to be honest...even if my right-foot is a little heavy.
- Fuelling - I was fuelling the car yesterday and found the pump handle difficult to get into and out of the diesel port. This may just be because I'm unfamiliar with the car.
- Noise - The engine is a bit noisier at 90 mph than I would like (not that I've done 90 mph, just from what I've heard...you understand )
- TDI - It's only a small thing but I would have liked to see Audi get rid of the standard TDI and add a C to indicate the common-rail engine has been installed.
I'm sure I'll think of more but that's enough to get the ball rolling