does anyone find the A3 a little boring ?

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
I've now had may A3 Sline 140ps DSG for a little over 9 months and covered a rather low 8k, I like the car it has a nice feel good factor, it feels like its carved from wood and is better than the equivelent A4 Sline although that had much better suspension.

I only ever change cars when i'm bored and at the moment that time is coming for the A3, I have a dislike for the suspension and the stereo and BOSE drives me up the wall, its reasonably comfortable and more than quick enough with a remap especially in the mid range steering is nice if a little lacking in feel and when I see one going down the road it reminds me how nice the A3 loks.

But I haven't bothered cleaning the car in 8 weeks and spend many an hour on autotrader, i've toyed with the idea of a boat, and selling both cars and buying something as bland as a renault Laguna and a boxster or TT roadster I've even looked at 330d's although I still have an issue with the image.

I could throw some money at the A3, exhaust suspension etc but I still don't think it would make me like it anymore even thought it is a very nice car.

Does anyone else with the exception of S3 owners feel the same ?

I have owned my A3 for over a year and a half now and its been in my family for over 2 and I love it as much as the day I took ownership

I have never been bored of the car as I always find different things to do to it to keep me happy, I love the way I have the car looking and I have only 1 or 2 major things left to do until the next project comes along

I get great credit everywhere I go about the appearance and performance of my car which feels great that somone can appreciate the hard work I put into it!

I will not be letting my A3 go for a long while yet to be honest!

even the s3 isnt what I'd describe as exciting, its fast, capable, practical, but not exciting.

I'm not bored of mine. It fits the bill perfectly for me. At this moment in time the only thing I would change it for is another one. I've had mine for a nearly a year.

I've been looking at a remap but only because I believe it will make it even better than it already is going off what other people say after having them done!

the remap is worthwhile and I would reccomend it, it makes the 140 quick so your 170 will fly. I just feel I should have something like the Megane 175 Renault sport ...

no way am i bored with my A3, LOVE the car. if you want boring, try driving a MK4 Golf!!

i came from a mkv golf that I found more entertaining which was more boring than its predecesor a mk1 focus. I wish the Focus ST did 35mpg

I'm not bored of mine. It fits the bill perfectly for me. At this moment in time the only thing I would change it for is another one. I've had mine for a nearly a year.

I've been looking at a remap but only because I believe it will make it even better than it already is going off what other people say after having them done!

I agree. No way am I bored with mine. It does everything I ask off it and does it in style. From just popping out to the shops to driving 3000 miles across Europe on holiday. From collecting the odd DIY items to driving through country lanes for the shear enjoyment of driving. Using the tip-tronic on my DSG brings even more enjoyment and still brings a smile to my face every time I use it. The normal comment from my passengers is 'That's brilliant'

170hp is enough for me and the fuel consumption at 43mpg is reasonably. This is my 6th A3 and providing Audi don't do anything stupid with the next one I have no doubt my next car will be another A3, with a DSG of course.

even the s3 isnt what I'd describe as exciting, its fast, capable, practical, but not exciting.

I'd agree, short of some skirts & bumper etc the difference in look from an sline isnt that much, where as my 8L S3 looked alot different to the 2nd top of range 8L A3 range, its just to bland for me I think for an S3, should be more flared arches, a wider stance on the road would be good, just so it looks more like a proper S car, where as it could be an SLine, of course the engine does the talking but I buy it for the whole package not just the engine, looks are as important as drivability to me, audi are a tad tame with the S cars looks these days, the S6 apart from the led's are boring to look at, the B7 RS4 are nice in looks & well suited to an RS car but S cars need something distinctive to see differences, anyone else agree?

I'm bored with mine Steve, overpriced hatchback. I should off stuck with my golf. ;)

Don't you thing boredom comes in from your daily driving I mean if your just doing the same route day in day out then even my gsx1400 gets boring and that gets to 60 in 2.85 seconds! I think the a3 does everything well I didn't buy it to excite me I bought it to be a car that does everything well. I had a Mk5 golf too and I dont agree its more entertaining, the audi is a much much nicer place to be.

Maybe vary your route and fall in love with driving again rather than falling out of love with cars?

The S3 is the only A3 I have owned so cant really comment on the rest of the range but boring it aint!, and even less so with a remap.

Ive had lots of fun stuff in the past, MK5 Gti, Corrados, Civic type R, CRXs and a string of old school Hot hatches and I get the same buzz from the S3 as I did from them.

The MK5 Gti had all sorts of great reviews and yes it was a good car, but to say the S3 is boring in comparison just isnt the case IMO. Ive owned both cars back to back in both standard and remapped form and thats a good position to make a fair comparison.

S3 boring?Total bobbins.

cheers
Paul

My last A3 I was initially very excited about. Thought it was a great car, enjoyed the looks, interior quality etc. Took me about 2 years to start hankering for a change.

Eventually changed after 2.5 years of ownership, chopped it in for a TTS, which I'm loving every minute of. Hardly fair to draw any direct comparisions but I don't see myself becoming bored of the TT any time soon :laugh:

I'm bored with mine Steve, overpriced hatchback. I should off stuck with my golf. ;)

I would have stayed with mine if it didn't try to cripple me, I found the seats a little too uncomfortable with full leather and the clutch made my leg go funny.

Don't get me wrong, the A3 is a good car and does have a nice feel good factor but its not somthing I look at and think i'll go for a drive today, something that I would do with my focus.

Mines very good. It's taken me and the missus to The Highlands, Northumberland, The Lakes, Middleton and Anglesey and it's just plain simple - its well made, stylish without being flash (i hate flash) spoilers an all that crap, it looks good, it drives well and the fishing gear fits.

Bored ???? Not yet and not for a good while.

Simply its very good not fantastic just very good

I think most cars get a little boring after a while, it just depends on how often you drive it and what "level" you drive at. If you drive stop start traffic, then when you are able to let lose a bit then the car will feel special. But if you drive twisty and/or decent speeds on a daily basis, it could get a bit blase after a while. I'm the same, I'm on my 2nd S3 already and getting tired of it.

I would point out it may be to do with the DSG Box!

it takes the fun out of driving, i find myself doing 30 in a 30 zone! normally if i was in a manual i would be doing 40 :think:

it just seems to turn me into a numb zombie :ermm:

I have owned my a3 140 DSG Sport now for 2 month and if it wasn't for the kick its got when i put my foot down it would be sold :thumbsup:

Couldnt disagree more, think its a fantastic car, I personally dont like 2wd & thats only reason I'd sell now as had S3 & S4, but overall its a great car & with a remap it adds even more fun to it, the DSG box is pretty damn good TBH, to the point I'm hoping to get an S3 sportback STronic next year back to 4wd as love the auto's audi produce & this is from a guy whose driven manuals always, just makes driving more pleasant & TBH with the paddles just as much fun, but then again I do fair few mods to mine so guess thats why I enjoy it so much.

Im pretty bored with mine now, ive had it for a couple of months now i have the 2.0tdi 140 done a few mods to it, i find it a little boring when you driving quick due to no feedback through the car...i think i will be changing at the end of the year for a old S3 or Astra VXR.

My latest car is far from faultless (although nothing's actually gone wrong).
But, by christ, it makes me grin like no Audi has done before (I've had an A4 and an A3).
I used to avoid taking the A3 anywhere, it bored and frustrated me so much.

Ive recently had an A3 170 SB as a hire car for 2 weeks, grey colour, with cream velour seats, with no noticable extras. It was pretty damn dull tbh. The engine was perky, once into the turbo, but still felt sluggish compared to my normal car.

I was aching to get back into my S3 :)

Im pretty bored with mine now, ive had it for a couple of months now i have the 2.0tdi 140 done a few mods to it, i find it a little boring when you driving quick due to no feedback through the car...i think i will be changing at the end of the year for a old S3 or Astra VXR.

If you are hanging on to the car for another short while I would recommend a remap which will bring you up to circa 170/75 bhp and it will make a huge difference!

I don't find speed/power has anything to do with enjoyment.
I can have as much fun, sometimes more, in a 60bhp car as I do far more powerful car.
If you think the A3 is a dull drive, remapping it won't make any difference.
It'll still be as dull, but a bit quicker.
Which may just make the dead steering/brakes/handling even more noticeable.
Driving enjoyment, to me, is about involvement.
Feeling like you're actually driving the car, rather than a passenger in an efficient machine.
This is maybe why I enjoy driving small cars.
Less interference from electronic acronyms.

Reactions: 5forwards
dont worry, its doesnt say lots of love, lol

I would say remapping adds some spice to it for a while, but as you get used to it you can settle back to that feeling, so in a way you are right I guess, but on the flip side when I used to get bored then I'd take for a power spin round the roads & love to drive the car all over again

certainly the mk3 golf VR6's were fun to drive, hold on that steering wheel for life when you put your foot down, torqueee or what, had 3 of them, fun for sure.

I've found my eyes being drawn to a sporty looking Clio that's on the go just now.
Superb looking little thing.
I bet that would be a hoot.
Only 3 doors though, so no good to me.

Ive recently had an A3 170 SB as a hire car for 2 weeks, grey colour, with cream velour seats, with no noticable extras. It was pretty damn dull tbh. The engine was perky, once into the turbo, but still felt sluggish compared to my normal car.

I was aching to get back into my S3 :)

Good point.
Maybe the A3 isnt that exciting unless you go for the S3 anyway? (correct me if Im wrong, Ive not driven other A3s)

But, I reckon you will find that with most marques.

If you buy the mid range diesel of any model its unlikely you will be excited by it, why would you expect an A3 to rock your world?

Mid range Diesel FOCUS/Astras/Golfs and indeed the A3 arent really aimed at the thrill seaker so thrills will be in short supply.

Paul

Good point.
Maybe the A3 isnt that exciting unless you go for the S3 anyway? (correct me if Im wrong, Ive not driven other A3s)
But, I reckon you will find that with most marques.
If you buy the mid range diesel of any model its unlikely you will be excited by it, why would you expect an A3 to rock your world?
Mid range Diesel FOCUS/Astras/Golfs and indeed the A3 arent really aimed at the thrill seaker so thrills will be in short supply.
Paul

You're pretty much suggesting manufacturers discount driving enjoyment in anything other than their 'sporty' models.
Or that an owner of these types of cars is wrong to look for enjoyment.
Thankfully, I think you're wrong on both counts.
Ford, for example, are able to make these types of cars fun to drive.
The Focus/Mondeo consistently get rave reviews for driver involvement/handling.
Frankly, I'd be a bit hacked off if some salesman sniggered at me looking for my mid-range diesel to be at least a bit fun.
Why shouldn't it be?:think:

From my own car's point of view, even the most basic 3-series is consistently praised for it's driver enjoyment.
You don't have to get the M3 to have some fun.

You're pretty much suggesting manufacturers discount driving enjoyment in anything other than their 'sporty' models.
Or that an owner of these types of cars is wrong to look for enjoyment.
Thankfully, I think you're wrong on both counts.
Ford, for example, are able to make these types of cars fun to drive.
The Focus/Mondeo consistently get rave reviews for driver involvement/handling.
Frankly, I'd be a bit hacked off if some salesman sniggered at me looking for my mid-range diesel to be at least a bit fun.
Why shouldn't it be?:think:

From my own car's point of view, even the most basic 3-series is consistently praised for it's driver enjoyment.
You don't have to get the M3 to have some fun.

Not an entirely accurate interpretation of my post and a such you have made incorrect assumptions, but you are forgiven.

For the record.
Ive driven mid range FOCUS` and Mondeos, excited I wasnt.
Ive driven mid range BMWs, excited I wasnt., although Ive driven an M3 and it was fantastic.

And lets not forget, one persons idea of exciting isnt necessary the same as anothers.

Cheers
Paul

You drive an S3?
You also say the only 3-series you found exciting was an M3?
So it's a fair assumption power is your god.
Fair enough.
It's not mine though.
I don't need 300bhp to tell me whether a car's steering and chassis has some feel/feedback, or if it's as numb as a playstation game.

Bowfer, you need a lay tbh :)

I think with I see where Paul is coming from. With the higher range models you dont just get the beefy engine "300hp", you get nice little touches too, such as better brakes, chassis setup, maybe a nice stitched leather interior, maybe a better specced audio system, also subtle little reminders around that let you know you have bought into somthing a little bit special. All these things enhance the driver experience.

I feel a bit condescending having to spell that out for you, beleive me Im not trying to be.. :)

Dont tell him that, 9 months ago that got him into trouble, now he cant have his 3dr clio, lol

But everyone prefers different rides, some like the electronics to do the work & make it feel better for them, some like a more raw ride aswell & from your comments I would say thats yourself Bowfer, personally I like technology & what differences it brings to the cars overall feel interms of drivability & technological options that help us out everyday, one things for sure no 1 car is perfect to me as if my cars were good enough stock then I'd have a huge bank account from all the unspent money on mods, lol

Personally I dont like BMW's & I drove the previous M3 on a test drive & couldnt stand it, when I got back into my S3 the drive was alot better, but thats personal preference TBH

But cant deny the new M3 does look good & has some great top end as I've been watching some tubing recently & seen the M3 bash the RS4 even at stock for both cars on a straight, but I'd still have the RS4, but funny cause the new B8 does have some resembling lines of the BMW at rear, only slight, maybe they will morph into a transformer, lol

Bowfer, you need a lay tbh :)

I think with I see where Paul is coming from. With the higher range models you dont just get the beefy engine "300hp", you get nice little touches too, such as better brakes, chassis setup, maybe a nice stitched leather interior, maybe a better specced audio system, also subtle little reminders around that let you know you have bought into somthing a little bit special. All these things enhance the driver experience.

I feel a bit condescending having to spell that out for you, beleive me Im not trying to be.. :)

Exactly.
For the price of an S3 you can get a lot more than 265bhp so to intimate power is god on the basis of S3 ownership is daft and not worthy of a response.

Anyway back on topic, my post was in response to the post title which was in fact a question.

does anyone find the A3 a little boring ?

Is it unrealistic to expect a mid range diesel to be exciting?

Is that not why the performance versions GTi/RSs/ etc..exist in the first place?
And is that not the reason why you would find any mid range version, including A3s, lacking in excitment ??

Again, not an arrogant statement, but a suggestion/question to the forum.

I can only speak from experience and in general mid range stuff I referred to, and have driven, just doesnt excite me, simple as that.

Am I on my own on this?

cheers
Paul

well it doesnt make me bolt in my pants but its not boring to me for sure, one of best cars I've bought & I've had some good ones including S3 & S4 so not as if I'm coming from a Fiesta

These topics are a bit "horses for courses".

I'm sure a Murcielargo owner would find a new M3 boring, whereas i'd probably soil myself with excitement :)

well said, couldnt agree more except for the soiling part :)

remmap won't help, mines already mapped, and the focus is a much more entertaining car than the A3 and why should a family car be boring, Ford can do it, VW are getting better ...