Forge Quick/Short Shift

I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
Anyone fitted one and, if so, how difficult was it?

Also do you think it's worth the money?

well if its anything to go by, I fitted one to my 8L & it was amazing how much throw it took away, talk about close ratio gear changes, was brilliant product, made so much different to driving aswell can you beleive, more fun & I assume fitting would be easy enough for us boys for the 8P as they wouldnt supply, forge are very helpful aswell so IMHO you cant go wrong buying there items as I have done before & never had issues.

Am I right in thinking that both the short throw and short shift parts are fitted to the top of the gearbox under the airbox?

Or do you need to remove the gear gaiter and get at the 'hinged' part in the car?

Same as 8L then Damian, easy peasy then with bit time.

I have got forge one on mine, it was the 1st mod i ever did on the car as someone was selling it on the forum for £30!

Dead easy to fit, fliddy but a piece of cake.

Well worth the money i reckon but then again i did only pay £30 for it.

i'd reccommend one to everyone as it does make a massive improvement!

I fitted the dieselgeek.com short shifter on my S3 8P and it produces a huge improvement in the feeling. Differently from the Forge, it replaces all the pastic parts with metal parts giving a great feeling on the lever.

So what's involved in fitting then.

RobinA3 - How long did it take you?

You basically unclip the gear cable from the top then undo the nut and lift the old one off, may take a little wiggling, then replace with the short shift and put the nut back on then connect the cable and clip. Done.

Damian @ DPM

How easy was it to fit,Macs? The site only has instructions for a left hooker VW.

Definitely not a big deal. 45 minutes were more than enough.
Just make sure you have all the tools needed and stick to the installation instructions (there are also pictures). I suggest to read a couple of times the instructions before installing it in order to become familiar with the procedures.
Do it in the late afternoon so that if you have any issue you can call Jim (the owner of dieselgeek.com) to get support.
I did it on my own and went very smooth.
My S3 is a left drive, but I suppose the internals are the same for both drive sides...

Anyone put a short shift into their deisel? would it make much difference?

I had the Forge adjustable one fitted to my old Cupra R. It was a great mod although it can make the change a little notchy, just make sure the linkage is properly lined up.
I believe the diesel geek is a better manufactured one, but then again it is more expensive.

andy at PSI tuning does his own short shifters by modifying the stock oem shifters. that way you get a nice short shift with NO notching feeling. nice and smooth.

andy at PSI tuning does his own short shifters by modifying the stock oem shifters. that way you get a nice short shift with NO notching feeling. nice and smooth.

The forge one I had was a remanufactured oem jobbie, but because you have less leverage, especially at full adjustment, any out of alignment is exagerated.

Is this PSI in Stoke ? They're quite near me - take it you have experience of them and of this "Andy" shortshift ? Might give him a call ....

Is this PSI in Stoke ? They're quite near me - take it you have experience of them and of this "Andy" shortshift ? Might give him a call ....

PSI are a very very good VAG outfit. Andy is the owner and main fitter there. He's worked on 3 cars of mine many many times over the years and allways done a perfect job each time. I saw him at E38 yesterday and he said they are having major problems with the phone lines since moving into the new premises and hes constantly on BT's case to get it sorted but they are just messing him around. Anyway try these numbers: 01782 563703 and if thats not working try 01782 564464, if none of those are working send me a PM and I can give you another contact number.

The Forge item is an OEM shifter with a sliding pivet point mechined into it. Easy to fit to a stock car. Have to admit i took mine off and sold it.

Just to revive an old thread. Hope to get some comments.

- for all you guys who have changed to a short shift, did you change for both the lateral and the horizontal throw? I've been told that changing for the horizontal throw isn't a problem, but when changing the lateral throw, sometimes during high revs, it might be not engage the gears properly.

- is there an oem version for audi similiar to the VW Racing short shifter for the manual GTI's? A few friends on the VW Racing short shift switched from all the aftermarket ones to the oem VW Racing ones and have been very happy with the switch. No more gear engaging issues. Pity they can't fit the manual Audi's.

So what would you guys recommend?

thats correct i've got quick+side shift, love the short throw, but have problems engaging gear on the high revs. especially the 3rd gear. think i'm going back to stock shifter, cause it started driving me nuts.

No problems with mine,i've kept the lateral shift the same as stock and adjusted fore and aft to be much shorter. Sometimes it's a little notchy,but that's down to the driver i'm afraid!

Had one on mine and it really improves the throw, taken it of as ive had a few gear box issues and cant be ***** to refit it.

Its the side to side and up and down if anyone wants to make a offer?