Air Filter Replacement

Highwayman

Reaction score
Right, I've taken delivery of a BMC panel filter today and had a quick attempt at fitting it, but with no luck :sorry:. I understand that you need to remove the engine cover, but is there a particular knack required to do this?

I've removed the intake trunking, the exit pipe and the electrical connector, but is there anything else that needs disconnecting before the plastic cover will come off? It feels like rather a lot of resistance if I tug it, but it did seem to move a little (as if there is a rubber seal somewhere that needs to be pulled off). Is there a particular area that I need to free first?

Any help required, as I'd like to fit the filter tomorrow, ready for when my Carbonio arrives (hopefully at the weekend ;) )

Phil

PS. I'm usually pretty competent at fiddling with cars, but I'm paranoid that I'll break something if I just keep on pulling without knowing what I'm doing...

OK, scratch this thread, as I've just read Iggu's post about fitting the Forge intake, which contains all of the hints and tips that I should have read before I attempted it :ermm: . Mind you, any other tips to make the job easier would be appreciated ;) .

Phil

Yes be very carefull when you pull it off:wacko:. i managed to crack mine on my gti when i changed mine.

Seems like the key is to get the engine nice and warm, so I guess I'll have to go out for a blast beforehand :jump:! A pair of gloves will probably be handy then, especially around the back of the engine ;) .

Phil

Good luck mate - when you get the cover off make sure you undo all the screws.... there are a couple abit hidden away (I was working in a poorly lit garage when I did mine!!) :rolleyes:

Are you saying that there are some screws that need removing from underneath the cover Jamie?

Also, whilst you're answering :thumbsup:,is there anything that I need to be aware of when fitting the Carbonio, or is that just a case of a couple of mounting screws?

Cheers

Phil

Well, I was told it was a 30 min job... it took me more like an hour.

Sounds like you know how to get the cover off now :)

When you have the cover off, turn it over and put it on something soft so you don't scratch it.
On the reverse side there about 12 (maybe more) screws holding the engine cover together - I'm sure there were a couple fairly hidden away. Remove them all and it should split in to two easily.
Swap the filter - will only go in one way.
PUt all the screw back in and the filter piece is done!

With regards to the carbonio the screw holding the air intake on are a ******, best to get a small ratchet with the appropriate hex head and an extension will help no end!

The rubber connecting hose from the carbonio to the engine cover is a right sh!t to fit. I'm sure I read from somone that putting a little bit of water on the inside of the rubber hose helps... might be wrong....
Be sure not to over tighten the clip on the carbonio end... you don't want to crack it!

Make sure you ahve all the rubber 'bungs' that the engine cover mounts back on the engine with.

That's about it really!

I found the screw loosely taped to the end of a long flexible screwdriver method worked well for the awkward 2nd screw that attaches the carbonio to the front of the car

Highwayman can i ask where you got your bmc panel filter from? and how much?
I quite fancy one.