Sat Nav

steveg9

Reaction score
Looking to buy a TomTom - any suggestions for a neat fit preferably not suction to screen? I have an A3 Sportback with non smoker option so possibly in the cubby below aircon?

Thanks all

Would be interested in some suggestions myself.

How long is the battery life on these things? Would like to avoid messy cables etc.

I have a basic TomTom ONE v3 with maps of UK and Europe. I have it mounted in a Brodit cradle that is hard wired using an in-line 12v socket connected to a spare connection in the fuse box. All the wiring is wrapped in foam to prevent any rattles and hidden behind the dashboard.

I'll take some photos this afternoon and post them for you to be able to see.

I've also got a TomTom V3 with the traffic module, I've got a cradle that powers it and extends the traffic cable so that you can hide the module and aerial. I've got it on a Brondit mount on the drivers side vent above the cubby hole. The cradle detaches and fits in the coin hold cubby hole to hide it.

I drilled a small hole in the back of the cubby hole for the cables.

This is a link to the cradle that I use http://www.carcomm.nl/carcomm/websh...ProductId=3949E862-3048-737E-4E8CDE72909221E7

I bought mine in the UK from TotalPDA online.

Paul

In the past six months I've had;

Tomtom XL - Didn't like it at all, it got sold on ebay pretty quickly.
Snooper Syrius S600+ - Brilliant, but lost it in Sunderland (suspect nicked)
Garmin Nuvi 760 - Brilliant, it just guided me around England for a week, faultlessly.

Here is a picture of my Snooper, mounted using Brodit clips.
Garmin is in the same place, just bought a different mount.

SP_A0160.jpg

I have a tomtom XL on a proclip mount and its great...

I will post a picture when I get home.. I opted for the cigarette lighter version but there is a hardwire version so you have no cables over the dash...

Further to my earlier post here are the photos...

cars 001.jpg

cars 002.jpg

cars 003.jpg

cars 004.jpg

cars 005.jpg

cars 006.jpg

I used my TomTom ONE on my recent visit to Germany and Switzerland and it worked faultlessly. One thing I like is the ability to set up a pre-planed route all the way to Switzerland beforehand and call up the various section as I need them and still be able to use it for normal sat/nav in between. I didn't go for one of the more sophisticated version with bluetooth etc as I never use my mobile in the car so there was little point. I paid £143.89 for my unit which has UK and Europe maps. I also tried a Brodit mount with the connector already attached but found it rather hit and miss when trying to get the connector to slot into unit. I have also used some software to change the way mine works in some cases and to change the order on the menus to suit my way of working.

Well here is my install.

Tom1.jpg

Tom2.jpg

Tom3.jpg

Only bad point of this is the cable...... the proclip mount has been changed by them as there were issues as reported about the brodit... but this now works.

Just a sneaky note about sat nav reliability :) Just as a kind of heads up

In terms of reliability without doubt the Garmin range is far in advance of the tomtom's.

What people forget is that garmin are a real pedigree'd company not a young gun like tom tom, put it this way if the red arrows use garmin its good enough for me :-D I have the Garmin 610t.

I like some of the clips shown here but on the screen has alwayd done fine for me.

I work on customer services btw and see what comes back the most.

Thanks guys: food for thought. Just a (nother) thought - is there a 12v feed anywhere in the glovebox (thinking about factory iPod stuff...)?

Steve

Thanks guys: food for thought. Just a (nother) thought - is there a 12v feed anywhere in the glovebox (thinking about factory iPod stuff...)?

Steve

There is a feed to the glovebox light but that is obviously switched by the glovebox light and probably goes through the ignition. I have in the past made a 'scotchlock' connection to the feed for the radio and then drilled a small hole in the side of the glocebox to get a wire through. The radio feed is always live. Depending on the device you may also need a 'scotchlock' connection to a earth wire as well, again available from the radio. With the right keys the radio is eay to remove and gives plenty of room to make the connections.

In terms of reliability without doubt the Garmin range is far in advance of the tomtom's.

What people forget is that garmin are a real pedigree'd company not a young gun like tom tom, put it this way if the red arrows use garmin its good enough for me :-D I have the Garmin 610t.

Garmin use Navteq mapping too, which consistently beats Teleatlas in tests. (Teleatlas is used by Tomtom and others).

I like some of the clips shown here but on the screen has alwayd done fine for me.

I work on customer services btw and see what comes back the most.

Horses for courses really. I really rate my Tomtoms (i've a 730 and the wifes got a tomtom one) both have been faultless. I bought the tomtom one when it first came out and handed it to the wife when the 730 came out. So I'va had them for a while.

Both are simplicity itself to use so much so that even my parents can use them (no mean feat when the olds mans 72 and my old cheese is 66) They have their interface spot on IMHO.

I bought Claires ML with Satnav fitted and she doesn't use it as she finds it to complicated in use and less reliable routing wise compared to the One. Fair enought the MB satnav doesn't have full postcode mapping... And I think most people will admit that most portable units are in a different league compared to the factory fit stuff in terms of routing.

J.

Very neat installs David and Bowfer. I only got as far as hard wiring the power lead into mine! I use one of those non slip bean bag mounts that sits on the dash for mounting mine.

Although looking at your install Bowfer when I change cars I'll go for the same set up.

J.

I'll post a photo of the Nuvi 760 mounted later.
It's on a swivel mount, the Snooper was fixed.

I will have to wait until I am home to view some of these pics :(

I have a garmin 310d which is an excellent unit, I would possibly like to include a holder/bracket where the ash tray is since my car is quite harsh on the suspension the satnav can some times come off the window lol plus i hate the site of the dried rings :(

I didn't bother with an active Brodit, as I don't use it every day.
For local use, the battery life is fine (about 3 hours), and I just recharge it off the USB on my work PC.
For longer journeys, I just use the fag lighter lead.
I'm sure you can get active Brodits for it though.

Note the tank?
It's a Panzer:laugh:
You can change it to loads of other things, from the Garmin garage.

I only tend to use mine for longer journeys, hence the hard wiring. I usually know where I'm going locally. I run mine off the usb connection to my PC when I'm planning a route and saving it for future use, like the route through France, Germany and Switzerland.

I usually know where I'm going locally

Mine does bluetooth phone functions though, including transferring the phonebook and reading out texts for me.:thumbsup:
Time you went widescreen, David.
4:3 is so 90's.:haha:

I'm talking mince, MB, sorry.
You wouldn't need an active Brodit, because the Garmin mount itself is active.
In other words, the power cable doesn't plug into the satnav itself.
See the below photo, with the satnav unclipped.
You'd just need to snip off the fag lighter attachment and hardwire the cable into your chosen power supply.
Photo044.jpg

Mine does bluetooth phone functions though, including transferring the phonebook and reading out texts for me.:thumbsup:
Time you went widescreen, David.
4:3 is so 90's.:haha:

Don't see any need. My current ONE fits nicely in my pocket and there is more than enough detail on the screen for setting up a route and I don't look at it very often when I'm driving - I rely on the voice instructions. It makes a change from the widescreen tv, widescreen computer monitor, widescreen laptop etc. I've just bought a new camera and even that has the option of a widescreen format for the pictures. Mind you the photos look better on my widescreen monitor than the normal 4:3.

I must say I don't think the Garmin mount looks that good when the Navi unit is not hiding the power connection. Is that the only mount they do?

Don't see any need. My current ONE fits nicely in my pocket and there is more than enough detail on the screen for setting up a route and I don't look at it very often when I'm driving - I rely on the voice instructions. It makes a change from the widescreen tv, widescreen computer monitor, widescreen laptop etc. I've just bought a new camera and even that has the option of a widescreen format for the pictures. Mind you the photos look better on my widescreen monitor than the normal 4:3.

I must say I don't think the Garmin mount looks that good when the Navi unit is not hiding the power connection. Is that the only mount they do?

Your Tomtom must just give basic voice instructions though, like my XL did?
Just "turn left", "turn right" etc.
The Garmin has TTS (as do higher spec Tomtoms, I think), which means you get "Turn right on Holburn road, then turn left on Main street", etc.
I find that much better, especially when relying on voice instruction alone.
Avoids the confusion that can arise when you have roads in close proximity and you're left shouting "WHICH ONE!?!?"

Yes, that's the only mount Garmin do.
Who cares what it looks like when the satnav's not on.
You can just pull it off and leave the Brodit 'naked', if required.
Remember that's a close up too, it's tiny in real life.

You'd just need to snip off the fag lighter attachment and hardwire the cable into your chosen power supply.

Don't just snip the end off - the Garmin will be expecting 5v so if you cut the end off and hardwire it in you'll be sending 12v down the line and blow the circuitry. I know somebody who did just that thinking they were being clever. You'll need to wire a 12v and earth up to the cigarette charger end of it for it to work properly - similar to dave's image earlier in this thread.

Yes thats what I did in my BM, bought a chav tastic clear plastic one on offer from halfords with apretty lights and stuff. As it was going to be stuffed up in the dashboard wasn't concerned what it looked like.

J.

I've hard wired one of those USB Fag lighter power supplies into the glovebox, means you can swap and change easily between charging phones, ipods and sat navs (anything with USB obviously :) ) but don't need to carry round the associated box of fag lighter adaptors

I've hardwired in three chargers - the fat nokia one for my 8800, the thinner one for my N95 and a USB one for my BlackBerry. They are buried in behind the Climate Control panel and the leads feed into the storage compartment in front of the gear lever (the one you get instead of an ashtray if you spec the non-smoker's pack). Keeps them all out of the way and means I can charge all three at the same time without needing to have wires trailing round the gear lever and still have my 12v socket free should I need it for charging something else.

Your Tomtom must just give basic voice instructions though, like my XL did?
Just "turn left", "turn right" etc.
The Garmin has TTS (as do higher spec Tomtoms, I think), which means you get "Turn right on Holburn road, then turn left on Main street", etc.
I find that much better, especially when relying on voice instruction alone.
Avoids the confusion that can arise when you have roads in close proximity and you're left shouting "WHICH ONE!?!?"

Yes, that's the only mount Garmin do.
Who cares what it looks like when the satnav's not on.
You can just pull it off and leave the Brodit 'naked', if required.
Remember that's a close up too, it's tiny in real life.

In my case I think the appearance with the Sat/Nav not on the mount is as important as with it on as I probably spend more time in the car without it in position as with it. Mine is only a Sat/Nav which is all I want. Never have a phone in the car so don't need those functions.

The instructions are a little more than just turn left and turn right. Things like 'at the roundabout take the 3rd exit' 'in 100 yds turn Left etc. To me giving road names is a complete waste of time as I can never find a road nameboard when I'm looking for one. The written instructions from AutoRoute give roads names and even with my wife reading out the instructions they were hopeless. I've never got lost or taken a wrong turning yet when using the TomTom even in France, Germany and Switzerland.

But each to his own. Mine only cost me £149 and for the money it's excellent and the mount is neat with or without the unit attached. Perhaps if I spent all day every day in the car not knowing where I was going I would want something more. I must admit when I've driven to a place once I can generally do it after that without reference to anything.

I have the Snooper 600+ and must say well pleased with it.

It takes a bit to update a new route if you are in a big city but overall I would recommend. Voice instructions very accurate.

Pedro

Here's the brodit swivel mount in it's completely naked state.
So this is what potential thieves would see, in the hope they realise I've taken the satnav with me and no point breaking in!

Photo045.jpg

This thread shows my Tomtom ashtray mount.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=55000

I am more than happy with it there, as the mount is totally invisible when the ashtray is closed. The visibility of the screen is much better than you would think being there. Obviously it would be better for visibility on the dash somewhere but I haven't seen a single dash mount that I would be happy to have sticking out of my dash.

but I haven't seen a single dash mount that I would be happy to have sticking out of my dash.

I passed an S80 Volvo on the motorway last week.
He was using the Volvo satnav that motors up out of the dash.
The viewing angle looked horrendous though.
Quite steeply raked downwards, like he'd have to dip his head to view it.

thanks all - I am just wondering if the pop out tray thing (looks like a cup holder but isn't!) would do the trick....

It could we be made to work, but I think it may depend on which unit you intend to purchase. I found with my small TomTom unit it's better to connect the small USB cable (providing the power) by hand rather than it try and connect to a pug fitted on the mount. I also wonder if the tray would be stable enough with a Sat/Nav mounted on it to not vibrate when you're going along.

Also one other small thing, as I think Bowfer mentioned, a visable but empty Sat/Nav mount will probably be taken by anyone looking into the car that the actual Sat/Nav unit is not in the car.

Also one other small thing, as I think Bowfer mentioned, a visable but empty Sat/Nav mount will probably be taken by anyone looking into the car that the actual Sat/Nav unit is not in the car.

I think the problem is that, very it often means is that the satnav is just in the glovebox etc. To me, any visible mount advertises the fact that there is a good chance of there being a satnav stored somewhere in the vehicle, and it's worth breaking in to have a look. I don't want to have to take the satnav with me every time I leave the car, hence my hidden mount, that gives no clue that I even have one.

thanks all - I am just wondering if the pop out tray thing (looks like a cup holder but isn't!) would do the trick....

I looked at doing that, but a few things put me off. Firstly, as h5djr says, I don't think it is stable enough.Secondly, I don't think there is enough height in it to get a mount in it without it folding up/down (which would make it even more unstable). Finally to get the satnav in a useable angle/position obscures the stereo display and buttons too much. It's a shame because I like the idea of a slide away mount and don't use that tray for anything anyway.