Diesels - too loud?

Floob

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Audi 1.8T 1998 at the moment, but was looking to get a 2004 or newer diesel to save on fuel economy.

Does anyone have any views on how loud the newer Audis are? Are there any other reasons why I should discount a diesel?

Thanks for any views.

Floob.

They are only loud when cold then settle in my experience, had 7 VAG PD Diesels now :footy:

I just picked up my 2004 A3 2.0 TDi Sport on tuesday and personally the noise isn't that bad. When the engine is cold or sometimes at low speeds you can notice the sound of the engine. But after it has warmed up or when your cruising outside of 30mph zones then the car is quite refined.

The 170 is more refined then the 140 - but really apart from when cold both engines are refined enough. At motorway speeds they are much quieter than most similar capacity petrol engines.

Thanks for the responses - this is good to know.
Looks like I may go for a diesel then.

I have a 2.0tdi 140 A3, its louder than BMW diesels, but compared to the 57 plate company astra's at work its alot quieter both inside and out.

Agree with the other responses; both the 1.9 and 2.0 generate a lot of clatter from cold but they do settle down a bit when warmed up. However, if refinement is your thing there are other quieter units around (Honda and Ford spring to mind), unless you're buying the very latest VAG 2.0TDI which has common rail fuel injection. Apparently these are a lot quieter.