Glovebox light always on

Monsoon

Reaction score
Having noticed that the glovebox bulb had blown I changed it earlier today (a bit fiddly but ok in the end). However, it is now constantly on whether the glovebox is open or closed (I can see a small chink of light under the passenger footwell shining through a gap when closed). This is the case whether the engine/ignition is on or off, whether the interior and/or exterior lights are on or off, and even if the car is locked. I'm wondering whether it's always been like this as whenever I've opened the glovebox before, the light has always been on.

Can anyone tell me: 1) Under what scenarios their glovebox light is on (e.g. only when exterior lights are on, only when interior lights are on, always when open, etc?...). 2) Any ideas what could be wrong in my case? Presumably the sensor which detects when the glovebox is closed is faulty (I can't seem to locate this).

Thanks.

I was about to say the same- how would you know its always on, you sint likely to notice it on when its shut!!

Sounds like the switch may have come adrift from the glove box mechanism. If I were you, I would pop the end dash panel off, and check to see if the switch is clicked in properly. The end dash panel pops out just like the one for the fuse box on the driver's side.

If I recall correctly the switch should on hinge mechanism. It is literally a pressure switch that the mechanism pushes against and it should only turn the light off when the box is shut properly.

yeah I 2nd that its just on the brake mechanism so just pop up dash side panel & have a look as that would leave it on if the brake has come of or something so its a permanent closed circuit.

Thanks for the suggestions - very useful.

I removed the side dashboard panel as suggested and found that a plastic prong (which connects by a pivot pin to the damping mechanism) has snapped and is just dangling down. This left the damping mechanism permanently in the "open" position, hence the reason the glovebox light was on all the time. It seems that this prong was orginally moulded onto the main glovebox door as an all-in-one part, so the only solution is to replace the whole glovebox door / front cover!

I think I'll just make do without a glovebox light instead. Cheaper and far less hassle. And I thought Audi's were well made...???!!! This never happened to my faithful old Montego!

Thanks again.

I had the same problem mate, I fixed it 100%, just take glovebox out, take the damper mechanism/brake assemby of, 1st use super glue to fix the 2 parts together so it stays in place, give it 10 minutes to set, then use an epoxy glue like araldite & plaster the joints with it not just on the cracked bit but up & down the parts a little & more on the glove box end so it creates the bond to the glove box better as just across the crack wont hold it forever, leave for 1 night & hey presto stuck like fecking rock, works 100%, £7 & 1 hours time all sorted

Same happened here, broke in the place you describe so they replaced the glovebox under warrenty.

I removed the side dashboard panel as suggested and found that a plastic prong (which connects by a pivot pin to the damping mechanism) has snapped and is just dangling down. This left the damping mechanism permanently in the "open" position, hence the reason the glovebox light was on all the time. It seems that this prong was orginally moulded onto the main glovebox door as an all-in-one part, so the only solution is to replace the whole glovebox door / front cover!

These usually break due to someone pulling the glovebox down hard when it has the damper/brake on it to slow it down intentionally, so at some stage it has been yanked down, this is the only way they can break as the plastic mould itself is pretty good & thick so only force could break that of.

But I have to admit if audi have had a number of these go as you guys seem to be advising then they should make the stem a little thicker & stronger especially in the middle, its just one of those things, we forget it has a damper & yank it down as we are used to them just dropping I guess or we are in a rush one day, but its still a good & simple design.

my fridge is the same......

so is mine but it was staying on when the door was closed and melting the butter next to the bulb - reason i know was i shut my little brother in there and asked him if it went dark. OK i didn't actullay shut him in, I stuck my phone in there with the camera on a 10sec count down, hey presto the photo result showed the light was still on.

On a serious note

I had the same problem, sorted with some super glue and a reinforcement brackets. Ive got a spare damper somewhere if anyone requires it.

These usually break due to someone pulling the glovebox down hard when it has the damper/brake on it to slow it down intentionally, so at some stage it has been yanked down, this is the only way they can break as the plastic mould itself is pretty good & thick so only force could break that of.

But I have to admit if audi have had a number of these go as you guys seem to be advising then they should make the stem a little thicker & stronger especially in the middle, its just one of those things, we forget it has a damper & yank it down as we are used to them just dropping I guess or we are in a rush one day, but its still a good & simple design.

Seems something a dealer would say

"Not a design fault sir, you obviously did something wrong"

I know for a fact mine didn't break this way,

On the way to work I put my ipod into the gloeve box, it opened up normally

At work, I took my ipod out, it flopped down

It wasn't forced at all