Gunky oil cap?!?

s3mike

Reaction score
I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that the oil filler cap on my S3 has white deposits on it. I know that this is normally the sign of head gasket issues but I've also heard it can be caused by short journies in cold weather ( condensation mixing with the oil ? )

My car has used no oil or coolant since new and it runs fine. Could the deposits be a symptom of my 7/8 mile town journey to work and cold weather?

There is no gunk or deposits on the dipstick or in the engine ( what I can see from the oil filler cap ), it's purely on the underside of the oil cap.

Anyone else had this?

Mine is ok... but it is staying in warmer weather and never does less than a 20 mile trip... and does lots of motorway...

Pedro

Mines fine mate , i would think 7/8 mile is a decent trip , it's not as if your driving it and the car never gets up to temp?

leon

Yeah checked my oil at weekend and found a bit of white gunk under my cap too. Thought it was a bit strange, but car still has lots of warranty so not too worried.

That's true, it does get up to temp and the oil temp usually gets up to 80 or 90.

I can't understand where it's coming from if no coolant is disappearing though.

Maybe I'll get the dealer to check - I can hear the response now though!!

check your coolant bottle also - if it contains some oil you have a issue.......otherwise, just short trips. clena it out and take for a long blast and then check again.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have a play on the weekend and see if it goes away on longer journeys.

unlikely its the head gasket, its condensation.

Take the car on a good run of say 100 miles and get it nice and hot, the water will turn to steam and disappear.

I'd be very, very surprised if it was the head gasket on such a new car.

It's more a case of the oil hasn't reached full operating temperature and as a result you see the condensation under the cap. It needs a decent long run to clear up the cobwebs, take it for a drive on the motorway and I'm certain you'll find the cap clean as a whistle.

I'm only doing very short trips in mine ATM , but when it's up to temp i do give it a GOOD HIDING :asskicking: The S3 loves being driven hard!

p

I'll give it some stick on the way home.

Only problem is I run out of road too fast!

If you don't have the space to open it up, just keep it in a lower gear , drive in second and third , instead of third and fouth.

Give the engaine some load to deal with! Not good for your MPG, but good for the car. lol

p

Just checked and I have white deposits too. I do a lot of short journeys though so for once I'm not too concerned (with fingers tightly crossed).

I had a thrash on a deserted road near me and got the oil temp up to 99 degrees.

Checked under the cap when I got back and no more white stuff.

Doesn't look like it's anything to worry about.

I had a thrash on a deserted road near me and got the oil temp up to 99 degrees.

Checked under the cap when I got back and no more white stuff.

Doesn't look like it's anything to worry about.

Good stuff, we have a sporty car , it's made to be driven hard-ish so enjoy it!

p

i had the same problem, i took it to a garage they said it was fine. i checked a week later it was worse. it turned out my engine was full of water lol! so i had a second hand engine put in. Under warranty of course :)