Who to go with for TDI remap?

sibby

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have always wanted a remap but been in doubt/worried, time constraints, etc.

So far I have gathered these possible errors:

- Limp mode if theres error with the ecu and it stays at about 90bhp or less
- Clutch going much sooner and costing about 1k including fitting
- Something about DSG boxes and how it doesn't make much of a difference

But most of the time it is usually fine from the reviews I have read everywhere including here.

So, which company?

- AMD: Heard good things but also negative things like their attitude and not solving problems, is this true?

- Revo: This seems to be a software that whoever is an official dealer can do it, is it worth it?

- Superchips: As above, is it worth it?

- JabbaSport: Uses a simple software so I assume this won't be as good but rather generic than custom?

- Automotive Performance Services: These are the old AMD guys afaik, are they any good?

I'd like to have the rolling road test and have a print out of the results before and after, also would like some degree of professionalism (ie not treating me like ****) and let me watch as they do it.

So guys, who would you or did you go with?

Had my last 4 cars, my dads and my mates had 3 done by upsolute

excellent product, excellent value

no probs what so ever. I've travelled 35,000 miles on current re-map and it's great. Believe me i wouldn't think twice now but was dubious at first

p.s - if your car is manual a new clutch and fitting will set you back £350ish

Considering the Revo conversion for my 170 TDI, to be done by AMD. The GIAC remap sounds good but is a while off yet.

sprout99 said:
p.s - if your car i manual a new clutch and fitting will set you back £350ish

That depends on the clutch you fit, I had to fit an organic sachs clutch to my old Golf TDi as the OEM clutch couldnt hold the torque and it was £500 just for the parts!

I'm organising a remap day on the 12th April at Chipped UK, We have held quite a few of these now and they have been very successful. It's a Special offer, for £250 you get a custom remap including before and after runs. Feel free to contact me if you require anymore detials.

Thanks, Mark

Are you looking at a 140 or 170 TDI map? Very few people have got a decent/working 170 map other than Superchips/Revo/AMD...

I'm around West Mids, defo a 140. I heard so many stories about the 170 and remap problems was quite sad.

Mine is a DSG.

Thanks for info so far peeps.

sibby said:
I'm around West Mids, defo a 140. I heard so many stories about the 170 and remap problems was quite sad.

Mine is a DSG.

Thanks for info so far peeps.

Ours too. Thats why i asked Simon Coe (mentioned above) to get a slightly lower torque file for car. I'm very very happy and have used him for last 5 years or more. Always happy to help and good value.

www.upsolute.com he is one of UK's agents and will come to you.

Issac Hunt said:
That depends on the clutch you fit, I had to fit an organic sachs clutch to my old Golf TDi as the OEM clutch couldnt hold the torque and it was £500 just for the parts!

thats very true - i put in Sachs std clutch and new concentric slave and it's no bother unless you boot it hard when engine is cold

my rule is no booting until engine is running at 90deg/c

I understand your concerns, as I asked all these questions before taking the plunge.

One of my concerns was that I couldn't understand why I would pay £500+ for a remap from some companies, when I could get what appeared to be the same service for approx. half price from others. Was I going to get half of the service??

I didn't want a switchable system as I didn't want to turn it off, and I also informed my insurance company, so I've got nothing to hide in case I stack it!!

I finally decided to go on one of the 'Chip 'N' Spin' organised remap days at Chipped UK in Bromsgrove.

I'm definatley no expert, but I liked the fact that they modify the data from your own car and not load generic data. I understand this can cause problems later if you need keys reprogramming etc., but don't quote me on this!!

For £250 I got a remap of my choice (power, economy etc. - basically whatever I wanted) with before and after RR runs. The guys let you watch them remap & watch them dyno. It was all very open.

I would have a look at the feedback on the CHIP N SPIN ECU TUNING section under SITE SPONSORS & BANNER ADVERTISERS.

I have no affiliation to these guys but my experience was excellent. I'm sure you could PM anyone else who has used them if you want more opinions.

I'm sure all of the comapanies you listed provide a good service, but I don't think I could have got a better deal for the money.

My car is an '05 2.0 TDI 140 which put out 147BHP and 246 torques after the initial RR run. Post remap the RR run gave 192BHP and 292 torques.

I would say though you should get it done (with whoever you choose) as it transforms the car.

Don't expect it to keep up with Focus ST's and the like, because it won't.

It's a 2 litre diesel and that is all it will ever be, but it's a ****** fast 2 litre diesel!!

But there won't be many cars which will leave you standing whilst returning 45-55 mpg!!

Get it done and enjoy it. Best £250 I've ever spent.

So why do places like Superchips, Revo etc charge £500?

Simply because they have been able to in the past.

There was limited competition.

maars said:
So why do places like Superchips, Revo etc charge £500?

Because its a switchable code.. !
And having the service and support we all want .

Just remember you pay for what you get in this life .

I'll be using Allard Engineering. Have a look and see...

http://www.allardmotorcompany.com/

They actually race their own cars and have used everything they've learnt through racing to provide other VAG TDi users with great tuning products.

I can't recommend these people highly enough - either directly at their factory (with rolling road) if you're based in the North West or via one of their UK-wide dealers.....

They take your own map and also build a bespoke re-map profile based on your specific requirements.

http://www.evolutionchips.com/

Doesn't matter what the power output is, the story is that the standard DSG box can only take 400Nm of torque....

alfiejts said:
Doesn't matter what the power output is, the story is that the standard DSG box can only take 400Nm of torque....

well having 410nm on my 8L A3 is very nice in dry but wet is a little bit more scary. thank GOD for ESP

Bearing in mind 170 runs at 350NM i thought that 375nm was quite enough to make it quick and controllable during fantastic UK weather.

Do chips affect your insurance and does anyone know whether an audi dealer would know that you've remapped during a service?

revomike said:
Because its a switchable code.. !
And having the service and support we all want .
Just remember you pay for what you get in this life .

True enough.
I can't think why you'd ever want to switch the map on and off?

I had mine done at superchips in Buckingham and it was worth every penny.
Their customer service was second to none.

In my eyes sometimes you get waht you pay for.

maars said:
True enough.
I can't think why you'd ever want to switch the map on and off?

If the car ever go's to the dealer etc.....

If the car is reading stock boost etc. they will never know it has a map on it ...