S3 - getting a good launch

simon-s3

Reaction score
I have been practicing on getting the S3 "off the mark" quickly and without any "bog down". It seems to me the best way launch an S3 is 4000 RPM let the clutch bite enought to get the car to roll slightly and then fully engage the clutch and floor the accellerator at the same time. This results in a sharp and aggressive launch with a small amount of wheel spin (more of a slight rumbling) and lots of pull without any bog down.

anything below 4000RPM and it bogs down. This seems quite high RPM to launch on a "stock" clutch, is the S3 clutch "man enough" for this, or are they prone to fail early. Obviously doing the above does not actually give much clutch slip at all as it is almost "side stepping it" but doing it from a point it has monentarily partly engaged rather than from the floor with and earth shuddering snap!

Or does anyone else know a more clutch "friendly" way to launch the S3 ?

Here is my 2c...

Just before i ordered my S3 the dealership gave me one to drive around for the day to get the feel of it so as it wasn't my car and the sales guy told me i can give it as much stick as i want i tried just about every launching tech i know. The old AWD scooby launch, when you hit the limiter and drop the clutch as fast as you can, definately does NOT work! The car "bogged" and all i could smell for the next 10min was the burning clutch. I then tried doing the same at +-4k with the same drop of the clutch and that just ended up in "bogging". The best result i found was just what you did... Rev to 4k get the clutch to the point just before it bites and then swiftly release the clutch but don't drop.

Again this is just my 2c from a day of driving it... Will have a better idea in 3 weeks when mine gets here :)

TBH when you launch a car the clutch is the last thing I worry about seeing as it's a consumable part - knackering diffs and driveshafts worries me more

I'd agree with you that the 'granny start' is possibly the best way to launch the car as you're loading everything up gradually - feed the revs in trying to minimise wheelspin

stepping off the clutch may better your launch by fractions of a second but I wince at what it's doing to the car - a number of years back a good friend of mine had a beautiful urQuattro which had been 'lightly' fettled by Kim Collins, it would light up all four wheels if you side stepped it although he did that part trick once too often. I think Kim could have retired on the back of that invoice alone...

Does anyone know if the S3 use the dual mass flywheel?

Cheers for the comments, at least we all seem to agree on the best way to launch it (mostly)

Hey Guys

I did it! I launched the car by dropping the clutch without bogging the car:jump:
The car did spin all 4 wheels and almost flew away:rockwoot:

The way I did it was reving the car to about 4000 rpm but didnt hold it still, i was pumping it so the revs were between 4000 - 4200 rpm. And then I dropped the clutch and gave it full throttle at the same time. Try it :icon_thumright:

If you hold it still on 4000 rpm and drop the clutch, then it will bog, so pump the gas pedal so the rpm is around 4000 - 4200 rpm and then drop the clutch.

Good luck!

My car is remapped by the German tuner Heron and im driving on 17" rims with goodyear ultra grip at the moment, but it shouldnt change how you launch the car.

are you doing it with esp on or off?

A little off-topic here, but not totally unrelated.

Once done with first gear and wanting to shift to 2nd, do you guys notice it takes forever for the revs to fall? When trying to get the move on quickish, it seems like the only way is to let the clutch slip a little and bog the engine down to match the wheel speed?

Even in normal traffic, after pulling away from first gear, I have to pause and wait for the revs to fall enough before getting 2nd gear in and continuing smoothly. By this time, all the other automagic cars (and sometimes even vans, trucks and buses) have left me behind, making me look retarded.

Though, sometimes I get lazy and just plonk it into 3rd straightaway:lazy:

What are you guys doing with regards to this, or do I need to go back to driving school?:sorry: