AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    Lord of War

Status

Alternatives to the A3 3.2

I'll soon be doing a lo less miles so won't be needing an oil burner. Did anyone that bought the above look at alternatives? I've thought of the Mkiv R32 which seems to really hold it's money, but more recently have been thinking of an Alfa 147 GTA.

Anyone driven one and got any constructive comments?

2. # ADS
    ADS

On Boost

Status
    Ive not driven either mate, but if your not doing the miles what about a S3? more smiles per mile.

If you want a N/A car and space is not a issue what about a Clio V6 MK 2 ? builds not as good , but they look stunning!

A used M3?

p
    Last edited by phantom; 5th February 2008 at 15:32.

5th Gear

Status
    I haven't driven one but if I ever start doing less miles I would like an Alfa of some sort. Love the styling of them. The 147 GTA looks great
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

2nd Gear

Status
    Alfa 147 GTA looks stunning but the old tails of reliability still put me off, which I`m sure Alfa have possible sorted?If you are looking at new then one that I like the look of for my next car in 18 months or so is the little BMW 135i coupe Or maybe a 130i, but I think they are a tad ugly myself so I will wait for the above. Even the 130i though is a hoot to drive if you like rear wheel drive?
    Last edited by Wes G; 5th February 2008 at 18:26.
    A3 3.2 Q SPORT DSG Now...Edition 30 Golf GTI

Neutral

Status
    You can probably get an Alfa 147 GTA for silly money now, and they make any German hatch look as bland and ugly as hell (IMO). Apparantly they have a really stupid turning circle though so 3 point turns become Austin Powers style nightmares.. Not driven one to see how bad it actaully is but that always put me off - looks and sound wise though..

5th Gear

Status
    Alfa stories seem to be very common on the larger Alfa's, my m8 had a 156 GTA and it sounded great, handled well and went like stink.... gear box dropped out at 18k...

he stills loves Alfa tho, and now has a 159

Gonad

Status
    You can get GTA's for decent prices now.

This has got to be the best colour ever -

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/278438.htm

Lord of War

Status
    I saw that one, but didn't think the colour suits the car. If it's going to be an alfa, it's going to be red :D

6th Gear

Status
    I wrote a long winded reply when the forum failed on me earlier today, but to quickly rewrite it was something like this:

I was in same situation, test drove alfa, 3.2v6, R32, S3, honda type-r, BMW 130i and moving from a 1er diesel. All had great pace, but it came down to honda being a raz boy, BMW being the same build as what I had though very refined too expensive, 3.2V6 was bettered by the S3, the R32 sounded nice, but didnt appeal over the S3 and the alfa really dissapointed inside where I thought it looked like a japanese car and all plasticy esp the window controls and dash. As has been said above the turning circle is daft and reminded me of my old fiat coop, and I said Id never go there again. I, as is clear, I went for the S3 over everything else as it offered the most for the standard setup without having to add too much. I ordered the cars, S3, BM, 3.2V6, R32, 147, Type-r.

BTW, agree on the red. I had a red un for the drive... looked awesome (from the outside) IMHO

Status
    I had the mkIV r32 which I kept for 12 months and covered 22K miles in it. I loved it, it did need a new fuel tank though as the old one perished...

Those miles where covered in approx 6 months of driving as I was travelling with work and the time and was spending half the year out of the country.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten