blue headlights

SDembinska

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wondered if any of you could tell me how I would go about getting the headlights of my A3 to give that sort of blueish look which I have seen on other cars. I'm sure one of you can help!

Sophie

You could ask at your local garage if they have the Philips bulbs with the bluish effect. Forget the exact name of them but they aren't expensive.

Generally speaking people try to avoid the bluish tinge though. I can't think why you would want your lights to look blue. Why not white?

Hi, the blueish light is usually down to xenons, you can fit aftermarket kits but peoples opinions vary, I went down the route of after market bulbs - Philips extreme, you will find a post in this section.

If you do go for aftermarket the colour of the bulb is dictated by the colour ref.

Xenons aftermarket kits are expensive and have various problems attached to fitting them(laws for auto-washers etc).
You can buy aftermarket replacement bulbs for the effect your after, as SteveTDCi has mentioned, and if its the effect your after, this would certainly be the easy option.

Thanks guys, thats really useful. But now youve got me worried that they may be a bit naff? Whats the consensus??
sophie

the general concensus on the forum 'seems' to be yes they are naff but I think its about a 70/30 split from what Ive seen. But, if you like them why should you care what everyone else thinks! ;)

Hi Sophie,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want the 'blue' look - try these
Philips Blue Vision

Personally I think the blue bulbs give less light and as the 8P already suffers from fairly poor lighting I'd recommend going for these instead.
Philips X-Treme

These give a quoted 80% brighter light and it is a pure white light. I've had them in my car for about a year now and rate them very highly.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: irowpod
a slighty different way ifs to go adn buy yourself a set of HID's I have got 8500k in mine and they are slighty blue and bright as hell.

looking around £100-£150 price range .

My 04 plate is a H7 fitment.

a slighty different way ifs to go adn buy yourself a set of HID's I have got 8500k in mine and they are slighty blue and bright as hell.

Fitting different bulbs and your car remains legal. Fitting aftermarket HID makes your car illegal. More more information and views see this past thread.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48471

h5djr said:
Fitting different bulbs and your car remains legal. Fitting aftermarket HID makes your car illegal. More more information and views see this past thread.

Right ok i understand the thread and everything but i did have there in my BMW and have transfered them across and i have not been stopped by the law for this.

Also i have checked when i had my BMW and 8500k is on the border of being illegal anything over this is illegal to my knowledge.

h5djr said:

Yawn

Dave, you seem very keen to jump on this bandwaggon every time you get a chance, fitting different bulbs is not necessarily legal is it now?

Dave, you seem very keen to jump on this bandwaggon every time you get a chance, fitting different bulbs is not necessarily legal is it now?

Just pointing out the facts and giving the member the chance to go back and read the previous thread, with all it's different views on the subject.

Fitting 'high output' bulbs is perfectly legal, providing the power of the bulb does nor exceed 55/60w. Fitting 80w or 100w ouput bulbs is not legal.

bacardi said:
Yawn

:applaus:Glad someone else noticed this!

Now, now boys no need for squabbling! Thankx tho', i think i'll go for them.

sophie

h5djr said:
Fitting 'high output' bulbs is perfectly legal, providing the power of the bulb does nor exceed 55/60w. Fitting 80w or 100w ouput bulbs is not legal.

They may be perfectly legal in the eyes of the law, however they are uprated with a change of gas content, and a different filament so may well dazzle other road users, something I thought you were heavily against and thought selfish of other roadusers.

In my view Sophie - so long as you align the headlamps after any mods if necessary, no one will call you selfish :)