Car losing power - limited to 3000rpm

Monsoon

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I pulled away from a roundabout earlier but the car seriously lacked power. I stopped at the side of the road further up and revved the engine a bit, but it was limited to exactly 3000 revs - no matter how hard my foot was to the floor. I stopped the engine, then started again but it carried on doing the same for another minute or so, then returned to nnormal. The car is a 53 reg 2.0 FSI Sport Tiptronic (out of warranty!). Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

i thought the tiptronic restricted the revs out of gear to prevent harming the engine. my dsg wont let me go above 3k rpm in neutral. as to why you had no acceleration, thats very odd,

is this the first time its happened?

Sorry I meant to mention that... No, there was no indication of anything wrong on the dash at all. The engine was still running smooth all the time, just not going over 3000 revs.

Yes, 1st time its happened. Have always been able to free rev the engine before whether in neutral or not.

i thought the rev limitation out of gear was on later models as mines an 05 must of been inbetween the two...

unsure what to suggest, if it was in warranty id be at the dealers door but as its out, could of just been a temporary issue, suprised there were no warning lights on the dash when it was happening.

good luck :)

Definately sounds like the car is in limp mode or get home safe mode. Very strange to have no warning lights up on the dash though.
It happened with my cooper s once. I know its a different car but most new cars have this function. If the car thinks something is not right it will go into limp mode to try and minimise damage as much as possible. On my car it happened to be the throttle body wasnt opening properly and also some wires were chaffing under my airbox. Causing unusual readings to the ecu.
Best thing to do is let the dealer run diagnostics and give the car a full road test.
Is the car modified in any way?

Exactly the same thing happened to my 53 reg 2.0FSI A3, additionally to the symptoms you describe the engine sometimes randomly cut out for a random period of time when accelerating and the engine management light came on. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pump (although there were a few other faults that I can't remember), luckly for me it was sorted under warranty.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say, mine was a manual.

No modifications to the car (well, except some sticky tape under the glovebox to stop it rattling!). Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing if I call Audi UK to ask for ideas all I'll be told is to take it to my local Audi dealer for investigation. I'm loathed to do that given past experiences there, and the inevitable cost. About to leave for work now and will see how the journey home goes.

Dont know what to suggest mate. Where are you located?
I have a scangauge running on my car that monitors boost, air intake temps, ignition, open loop/closed loop etc. It also has a faultcode scanner and a reset tool built in. If your nearby your welcome to check if your car is throwing up any fault codes.
It runs on any car with and obdll port.

Sounds like it has initiated the "get you home" mode. If you have access to VAGCOM you should be able to run a scan to find out what error is being logged rather than going to the dealer.

Thanks for the offer luca1 but I'm located quite some way from you - in Hertfordshire. I'll leave things for now and fingers crossed it was a one off freak event. Obviously if it happens again I'll have to get it investigated. It almost certainly seems to be this limp mode / get home mode that people mention - did a google search earlier about it and the symptoms tie up exactly. It seems that autos are particulalry prone to it.

I've got a 53 plate AUDI A3 2.0 FSI as well and i'm having the exact same problem! Have you managed to fix it? I've checked some forums but can't find an answer.

Some mention it might be coils - but i've just had all 4 coils replaced and it still does it - always at 3,000 RPM. Also had coolant/engine temp sensor replaced in case it was that. What could it be?

Any ideas??

bradleyuk said:
I've got a 53 plate AUDI A3 2.0 FSI as well and i'm having the exact same problem! Have you managed to fix it? I've checked some forums but can't find an answer.

Some mention it might be coils - but i've just had all 4 coils replaced and it still does it - always at 3,000 RPM. Also had coolant/engine temp sensor replaced in case it was that. What could it be?

Any ideas??

Do you have any kind of warranty? As I said it was the fuel pump on mine.

Nice feature this limp mode... at least lets you get home without damaging the car... but obvious not fun!

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
Nice feature this limp mode... at least lets you get home without damaging the car... but obvious not fun!

Pedro

My Golf 1.8T used to go into limp mode all the time, whenever you hit the rev limiter.
What a pain in the **** it was, coz it was so easily done!
It had to be a dealer reset.
Older models would reset when you turned off the ignition.
Apart from the lack of power, you could hear the turbo wasn't working.

Just a thought guys, the DSG (not sure if Tiptronic is the same), is limited to 3000rpm when the brakes are on. Could this simply be a flaky brake light switch which is making occasional contact and therefore limiting the revs?
I got the idea from the recent thread on launch control: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=500646&postcount=5

Perhaps someone with DSG could test this out?

Having taken it to a non-dealer it appeared to be a "fuel pressure sensor" having an intermittent fault - according to the VAG-COM readout. However they can't get a new sensor (£30-40) until 4th April!

So reluctantly i took it to the local main audi dealer, and £99 +VAT for 1hrs work later they told me it'll be £526 for a new Fuel Pump, Fuel Sensor, Hose and Filter, including 2.5 hrs labour to fit it all!!

I was shocked considering the garage the day before said it was just the sensor. Luckily i was recommended a third garage by a friend thats recently been set up by 3 ex Audi mechanics so i gave them a call - they still know the guys at the main dealer where my car is so they called to get a run down on audi's prognosis.

Turns out there's a Technical Bulletin for this issue on A3's and the technical bulletin states that all the parts i listed above should be changed. The guys at the new garage say if i'm lucky it'll just be a the fuel pump, and i wont need a new sensor, filters etc.... and they charge 1/3 of Audi's hourly rate so i should save myself a bit!

So its going there tomorrow and i'll let you know how i get on. They did point out that it might need all the work audi suggests, and more worringly it could need extra if it is a blocked pump and some of the blockage has made it through the two filters into the injectors in the engine - i really hope not!!

Did you try for a goodwill reduction from Audi UK. Given that there is a TSB it would suggest that it is a common or batch issue.

Worth a go.

Paul