Arrghh!! Anyone had locking wheel-nut drilled off before?!

Petem95

Reaction score
I think one of the rear wheel bearings has gone on my recently purchased A3, and I decided first of all take the noisy-side rear wheel off and replace it with the space saver just to discount a buckled wheel... however it turns out I dont have the locking wheel-nut bit!!!! :notme:

Has anyone been in this situation before? What does it cost to get them drilled off? Or can I go to Audi and get them to find out what nut remover it needs and buy one?

Any help appreciated!

I think there are a limited number of combinations and Audi should be able to provide you with a replacement.

I had an issue this weekend with knackering my locking wheel nut adaptor when swapping my wheels. The dealer had a box of about 20 different locking adaptors. I used one of theirs which matched the number on mine.

But now I need to buy another matching locking wheel nut adaptor. My dealer said he will order a new one for me.

Luckily found mine lodged under one of the seats :)

Thanks for the pointers anyhow!

s8craig said:
I had an issue this weekend with knackering my locking wheel nut adaptor when swapping my wheels. The dealer had a box of about 20 different locking adaptors. I used one of theirs which matched the number on mine.

But now I need to buy another matching locking wheel nut adaptor. My dealer said he will order a new one for me.
I'm a bit concerned about there only being 20 different locknuts. What would my comeback be should my locknutted wheels be stolen by an enterprising thief who has the full set of locknut adaptors?

I had assumed that there was some sort of database where the dealer could look up which locknut your car has should you need to order a replacement. Something similar to the car key system.

MarcQuinlivan said:
I'm a bit concerned about there only being 20 different locknuts.

This been my reason for not using Audi locking bolts, I use an aftermarket set.

Its the same with Mercedes, Last year I was removing an alloy on a Mercedes at work and broke the locking wheel key. So a trip to Mercedes and the workshop chappie came out with this case of locking wheel keys (think there were 20-25 ish) tried each key until he got the right one. Then ordered me a new one

i work for mondial, we look after all the major manufacters, bmw , mini , merc,
i carry bmw, new x old, mini , landrover master set of locking wheel nut keys, and the same is theres only about 20 for each make.
my advice is a set of mcgaurd, these are the best on the market