Monster MotorsportChris Nott

View Poll Results: Which would you recommend?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • A3 Sportback SPORT

35 76.09%
  • A3 Sportback SE (with sports suspension option and DIS)

11 23.91%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Neutral

Status

A3 Sportback - Should I go for an SE or Sport?

Hello,

I'm just about to order my new A3 sportback.

To me the SE seems to have more going for it standard kit wise, but coming from a vRS Fabia the sport model also appeals.

I was thinking of an SE with the Sports suspension as a 170 option - I'm not too fussed on the sport seats that come with the sport model.
    I've worked out its cheaper to spec an SE with the bits from the Sport model I really want (suspension and DIS system) than to spec a Sport model with the bits that the SE has (Cruise, auto lights, wipers, arm rest, etc etc)

Confused?

Would like to get some feedback on this, cheers. Matt.
    2008 Brilliant Black A3 Sportback 1.9 TDi SE Custom Code Remap
    2002 Ravenna Blue New Beetle 1.6
    1965 Vintage Burgundy Mustang Coupe V8

2. # ADS
    ADS

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    I know what you mean. In the end I opted for the Sport as it has more driver appeal in my opinion. I don't like the inlays etc in the SE and I really think that the Sport's seats are much more comfortable. I hate the 4 spoke steering wheel in the SE. Go for the Sport mate. Much nicer with the sports suspension etc.

The SE is for pensioners in my opinion.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

5th Gear

Status
    I'd go for the sport too, the seats have more side support, cruise can be retro fitted as can the arm rest. I would opt for the light and rain pack though.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers
    I know what you mean. In the end I opted for the Sport as it has more driver appeal in my opinion. I don't like the inlays etc in the SE and I really think that the Sport's seats are much more comfortable. I hate the 4 spoke steering wheel in the SE. Go for the Sport mate. Much nicer with the sports suspension etc.

Is the optional sport suspension on the SE the same as the sport suspension on the Sport I wonder?

You can also spec aluminium dash and door inserts at no extra charge over wood effect on the SE. I was going to go for black paint with black interior with the Alu inserts and the 5 spoke star design 17s as they are also no extra charge.
    I suppose the sports seats and 3 spoke do add to the driver appeal though.
    Last edited by skodaudi; 19th January 2008 at 10:53.

5th Gear

Status
    The owner who bought my A3 got the SE then added all the sport options such as:
    - DIS
    - Sports Seats
    - Sports Suspension

And on top of all that you got the SE features that you can't even get on Sports model as options so I had the best of both worlds!
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino
    The owner who bought my A3 got the SE then added all the sport options such as:
    - DIS
    - Sports Seats
    - Sports Suspension

And on top of all that you got the SE features that you can't even get on Sports model as options so I had the best of both worlds!
    Thats exactly my line of thinking, although I'm not too fussed about the sports seats really as IMO they are more cosmetic than functional?

Do you have any pics of yours mate? Would like to see a black A3 with the Star design 17s. Cheers.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi
    I'd go for the sport too, the seats have more side support, cruise can be retro fitted as can the arm rest. I would opt for the light and rain pack though.
    Yes thats a good point - hadn't thought of it that way.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers

I may be in the same position this Summer, when I change my car. The Sportback is definitely on my list, and from tests I've had, the Sport suspension is a very good compromise between ride and handling.

But what is the tyre noise like ?
    This aspect is a major failing on my S-Line, and I've read in reviews that the SE is much better for tyre noise.
    A3 Sportback 8V 1.4 TFSI SE

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by skodaudi
    Hello,

I'm just about to order my new A3 sportback.

To me the SE seems to have more going for it standard kit wise, but coming from a vRS Fabia the sport model also appeals.

I was thinking of an SE with the Sports suspension as a 170 option - I'm not too fussed on the sport seats that come with the sport model.
    I've worked out its cheaper to spec an SE with the bits from the Sport model I really want (suspension and DIS system) than to spec a Sport model with the bits that the SE has (Cruise, auto lights, wipers, arm rest, etc etc)

Confused?

Would like to get some feedback on this, cheers. Matt.
    Hi Matt,

I also came from a vRS Fabia and had the same Sport/SE dilemma. In the end I went for the Sport, for the rather trivial reason that I preferred the 3 spoke steering wheel over the 4 spoke of the SE. It is about the only thing that you can't "spec up" between Sport and SE.

I am more than happy with my choice. I love the sports seats, which are both comfortable and supportive. The suspension is just right IMO, firm but not jarring. I added Phone prep/armrest & cruise as options.
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    I may be in the same position this Summer, when I change my car. The Sportback is definitely on my list, and from tests I've had, the Sport suspension is a very good compromise between ride and handling.

But what is the tyre noise like ?
    This aspect is a major failing on my S-Line, and I've read in reviews that the SE is much better for tyre noise.

What tyres are you running ? my S Line is on Pirrelis which are known for there noise, although I find these quiet, I ran some Toyos on a Focus and they were the worst tyre for noise I have ever had, Goodyear F1's quietened things down though.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi
    What tyres are you running ? my S Line is on Pirrelis which are known for there noise, although I find these quiet, I ran some Toyos on a Focus and they were the worst tyre for noise I have ever had, Goodyear F1's quietened things down though.
    Contis on the car at the moment.

Status
    We test-drove a Sport at launch and both my wife and I thought the ride quality and refinement was very poor. It was firm and noisy but didn't handle any better - and that's all I could say about it.

At the time, I owned a Focus ST170 which was far more supple and yet handled beautifully. Audi in my opinion still haven't worked it out - simply stiffening up the suspension does not make a car handle properly.

For this reason, plus the extra toys (in particular, cruise control and the centre armrest) we picked the SE. The wooden inlays are indeed awful but it was a no-cost option to specify aluminium ones, while I agree with the other posts that the four-spoke steering wheel is a little large and certainly no beauty!

It depends what's important to you; I knew the Sportback was never going to compare to my ST170 in terms of driver enjoyment, so choosing the Sport for the sake of it didn't matter. Also note that for 2007MY cars the spec of the two is much closer - SE's now have 17s and foglights etc.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    We test-drove a Sport at launch and both my wife and I thought the ride quality and refinement was very poor. It was firm and noisy but didn't handle any better - and that's all I could say about it.

At the time, I owned a Focus ST170 which was far more supple and yet handled beautifully. Audi in my opinion still haven't worked it out - simply stiffening up the suspension does not make a car handle properly.

For this reason, plus the extra toys (in particular, cruise control and the centre armrest) we picked the SE. The wooden inlays are indeed awful but it was a no-cost option to specify aluminium ones, while I agree with the other posts that the four-spoke steering wheel is a little large and certainly no beauty!

It depends what's important to you; I knew the Sportback was never going to compare to my ST170 in terms of driver enjoyment, so choosing the Sport for the sake of it didn't matter. Also note that for 2007MY cars the spec of the two is much closer - SE's now have 17s and foglights etc.
    Have you any photos of yours? Particularly keen to see a black sportback with the Star design 5 spokes.

1st Gear

Status
    I thought long and hard about this for the same reasons. In the end I went for SE (the suspension is plenty firm enough), parking sensors, rear airbags, 7 spoke star wheels, medial alu trim. It's nice. I collected it a week ago. But it's red not black so probably won't help you (although I have posted in the pics section)
    I did try to add DIS after the initial order but the production was frozen (5 weeks before build
    It's on P Zero Rossos which do seem noisy (after Michelin 205/55 16's on a Touran) and they do tramline a bit......

Status
    Have you any photos of yours? Particularly keen to see a black sportback with the Star design 5 spokes.
    Click the 17" Stars in my signature - pictures and details are on there.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status
    The stars are definitley the better option, did not realise you could swap for free, to have the 16 spoke design, a real bugger to clean.
    Think the comments on the choice of trim etc are spot on, really depends on how long youa re going to be in the car for hte interior trim. Would not do without the armrest
    Any spelling/ grammatical errors are there purely to annoy!

A4 2.0TDI (143) S-Line Quartz Grey

I have an SE trim Sportback purchased in March 2007. I tried the Sport before I purchase my previous SE 3-door and I have to say, personally, I much prefer the suspension set-up on the SE and the options offered as part of the SE package.

A couple of points I would make, from comments made in earlier posts. Fog Lights are NOT part of the SE package but a 130 option. Also the type of steering wheel you get depends on the type of gearbox. With a manual box you get the standard 4-spoke steering wheel. If you go for the S-tronic as I did, you get the 3-spoke steering wheel with the gear-change paddles. I added some further extras to my SE package - upgrade to Symphony III (II+) radio, electric driver seat controls, electric lumbar support, acoustic parking system, DIS, auto-dimming and folding door mirrors, xenon plus headlights and the flat tyre warning system. These options together with the standard SE package provide me with just the car I want.

One point in connection with the standard 16-spoke wheels on the SE package. I thought they would be a pain to keep clean but their not. When I first got the car I cleaned and polished them with Simoniz Liquid Diamond and even now the car is 10 months old and done some 13k miles, they still clean up very easily and with very little effort. Dare I say my local car-wash even makes an excellent job of cleaning them when the weather is really bad.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Uber Post Whore

Status
    How about considering an S-line?

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Neutral

Status
    Well I'm pretty sure now this is what my final decision is.

SE Spec 1.9tdi

Brilliant Black
    Polished Aluminium Roof Rails
    17" Star 5 Spoke Alloys
    Front Fog Lights
    Sports Suspension
    Driver Info System
    Flat Tyre Indicator
    Black Metrik Interior
    Aluminium Silver Interior Trim (In Lieu of Wood!)

Remap will be one of the first things on the list after delivery!

Should look something like this:

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line
    How about considering an S-line?

Would love an S Line but my budget doesnt quite go that far and thats before I add on the bits that the SE has like Cruise, convenience packs etc.

SE Spec 1.9tdi
    Why are you going for the 1.9tdi. This is an old engine and the 2.0tdi-140 is much better?
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status

SE Spec 1.9tdi

Brilliant Black
    17" Star 5 Spoke Alloys
    Front Fog Lights
    Sports Suspension
    Driver Info System
    Flat Tyre Indicator
    Black Metrik Interior

So you ask people's opinion - get a 80/20 split in favour of Sport -then ignore it!!!!!!!

The only reason I can see for chosing SE is if you don't want the sports suspension, but then you're chosing that anyway, so I'm a bit confused.
    Last edited by GeoffT; 22nd January 2008 at 21:34.
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

Moisty
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT
    So you ask people's opinion - get a 80/20 split in favour of Sport -then ignore it!!!!!!!

Have to ask the same question about the 1.9tdi choice. The 2.0tdi is a much better engine IMO.
    To be fair he didn't say that he was going to take a straw poll and then decide which one to go for based on number of votes.
    He asked for feedback.
    I assume he has made his decision based on the feedback received.

Cheers

M

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    To be fair he didn't say that he was going to take a straw poll and then decide which one to go for based on number of votes.
    He asked for feedback.
    I assume he has made his decision based on the feedback received.

Cheers

M
    I know - I've just read my post back and it doesn't come over as I intended - it was just meant to be a gentle micky-take really. Of course it's his decision.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    Why are you going for the 1.9tdi. This is an old engine and the 2.0tdi-140 is much better?
    Well its more economical and cheaper to buy. Its stretching me to get to the 2.0tdi unless I go for the base model i'm afraid. I'd be perfectly happy with the 1.9tdi even if my current car has twice the power.
    Currently have a big power tdi so yes i'm going to be losing performance, but the quality of the Audi is the benefit IMO.

Born to Fish

Status
    SE every time

Moisty
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI
    SE every time
    Agreed, if I couldn't get the S-line or Sport.

M

Neutral

Status
    As mentioned above, having test driven the 1.9tdi and the 2.0tdi (140) you need to go for the 2.0tdi, a remap on that and your into 170 territory,

the 1.9 is grossely under powered, doesnt feel too bad in the A4 which i think gets a 25hp boost to 130, but in the a3 it felt horrible, not enough torque...

I had my 2.0tdi for about 8 months (sportbk sport spec) and loved it, then ended up goin back toward petrol and turbo's, slippery slope

Moisty
    Slippery slope indeed MrSteve!

I am at this moment sliding down that same slope.

M

1st Gear

Status

SE Spec 1.9tdi

Brilliant Black
    17" Star 5 Spoke Alloys
    Front Fog Lights
    Sports Suspension
    Driver Info System
    Flat Tyre Indicator
    Black Metrik Interior

OK, I know this is your decision and I am biased, but I am just trying to understand the logic.

You've gone for SE and are adding

Sports suspension (standard on Sport)
    Front Fog Lights (standard on Sport)
    DIS (standard on Sport)

All of your other options are available on the Sport, and you also would get the excellent Sport seats.

To spec a Sport to get the same as you want, don't you only have to add cruise and an armrest? Doesn't that work out cheaper than the spec you've gone for?

Also are you not worried, that when you come to sell it, a lot of people who would want an SE won't want the Sports Suspension?

Here endeth the preaching of the Sport owners club!!!!!

To spec a Sport to get the same as you want, don't you only have to add cruise and an armrest? Doesn't that work out cheaper than the spec you've gone for?
    To get to the same as the SE spec you would also need to add:
    Interior Light pack @ 140
    Light and rain sensor pack @ 190
    Storage Pack @ 90
    Sun Band on Winsdcreen @ 55
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    To get to the same as the SE spec you would also need to add:
    Interior Light pack @ 140
    Light and rain sensor pack @ 190
    Storage Pack @ 90
    Sun Band on Winsdcreen @ 55
    Fair point. Don't you just love the excellent value of the Audi options!!!!

6th Gear

Status
    FWIW, I could live without:

Interior light pack (whoopee dooo)
    Storage pack (see above)
    Cruise control (my foot is easily controlled by my brain)
    Light and rain sensor pack (I have fingers to work switches)
    'orrible 4 spoke steering wheel (yeeeuch)
    Front fog lights (got 'em, invariably people use them at the wrong times)

I wouldn't go for a car without;

Sun band on windscreen (I thought all cars had those, these days)
    Nice steering wheel (it's the connection between you and the car)
    Sports seats (see above)
    Sports suspension (body control is more important than ride)
    Centre armrest (nuff said)
    DIS (if only for the 'miles to empty' function, nothing else)

So is it safe to say the Sport would suit me better?
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 23rd January 2008 at 15:18.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    Slippery slope indeed MrSteve!

I am at this moment sliding down that same slope.

M
    with a name like that youll probably overtake me and end up in an RS6 by the end of the year

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    ... 'orrible 4 spoke steering wheel (yeeeuch)
    Are the 3 and 4 spoke wheels different sizes ?

They look the same to me in photos of the interior, and seem to be exactly the same style too (apart from extra spoke).

6th Gear

Status

They look the same to me in photos of the interior, and seem to be exactly the same style too (apart from extra spoke).
    God knows mate.
    I just remember SE's having a horrible wheel when I ordered my S-line.
    You can make out what I mean in this photo off Autotrader.

3rd Gear

Status
    The steering wheels shown in the brochure are different to your pic (different hub shape), but the 3 and 4 spoke versions look the same to me in style.

Mine is different to either - the leather is riddled with holes !

4th Gear

Status

No, you are right. The three and four spoke wheels are basically the same on newer (as in 2005 onwards). The one bowfer shows if from an early A3.

For later cars:

disregard the wood and chrome bits. I just pinched the pricture from German eBay. That wood trim on the 4-spoke is foul IMO.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

1st Gear

Status
    Yuck - not quite as bad as the Allegro but rubbish all the same.

6th Gear

Status
    Yup, the 4-spoke SW's are still rank rotten then.
    That three spoke S-line SW has some funny inlays though?
    Or a photo foible?
    Mine doesn't have that, I'm sure.
    (oops, just noticed the 'ignore the chrome bits' statement).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast