Front Tyre Wear

Jack D

Reaction score
Just got through a set of front tyres in 9000 miles on my TDI! Is this normal?

Does a seem a fraction low, but I guess this will depend on your driving style and the compound of the tyres you have fitted.

Jack D said:
Just got through a set of front tyres in 9000 miles on my TDI! Is this normal?
Mine were down to 4mm at 6000 miles.

The dealer said it was not unusual, given the torquey engine and FWD.
Your TDI has higher torque still of course.

My 1st set of factory fitted Conti's lasted 10k, which was mostly motorway miles.

I fitted a replacement set of Michelin PS 2's which at 12k have 3-4mm left on them.

For me; what I consider excessive tyre wear on my car; is the one thing that spoils the A3 ownership experience. I used to drive my Impreza 10 times harder than I've ever driven my A3 and really hammer the tyres, but they would last 15k easily.

I wouldn't say 9000 mile is abnormal, depending on brand/make/driving style.
99% of my driving is quickly around poorly surfaced A and B roads, so I'm always going to go through tyres quicker than someone driving normally on motorways.

A rather timeous post this;

9000 miles on my 2.0 T and my front two are a ragged mess!

They need replaced ASAP.

Got Continentals on right now and was quoted £260 for 2 - how does this compare to you guys?

Can anyone suggest any cheaper better tyres etc.:happy:

The 225/45 R17 Michelin Pilot Primacy XSE tyres supplied with my 170 Sportback SE have 4mm left after 13k miles.

The make and type of tyres together with driving style can have an effect tyre wear. In my experience Michelin tyres generally last a bit longer than most other makes. A not necessarily slow, but a smooth driving style can also make them last a little longer.

Ian_C said:
A rather timeous post this;

9000 miles on my 2.0 T and my front two are a ragged mess!

They need replaced ASAP.

Got Continentals on right now and was quoted £260 for 2 - how does this compare to you guys?

Can anyone suggest any cheaper better tyres etc.:happy:

That sounds steep to me.
I'm getting tyres (225/40 18's, off the top of my head) for about £100 fitted(ish).
Dunlop sportmaxxes.
Very happy with them, they ride a lot better than the Continentals or F1's I had before.
Outright grip is maybe slightly worse than F1's, but I reckon I'm faster on them, especially in the wet.
This is bacause the F1's would grip well, then let go suddenly.
So finding the limit was hard.
The Dunlop's, by comparison, slide in a nice and progressive way, giving more feel and confidence.

mikep said:
Nope 28k, the first set of tyres on my PD150 Golf remapped to 210bhp made 35k. It's the way you treat them.........

Crikey.:respekt:

Nope 28k, the first set of tyres on my PD150 Golf remapped to 210bhp made 35k. It's the way you treat them.........

Is that just the fronts Mike, or the full set of four with them swopped around.

bowfer said:
That sounds steep to me.
I'm getting tyres (225/40 18's, off the top of my head) for about £100 fitted(ish).
Dunlop sportmaxxes.
Very happy with them, they ride a lot better than the Continentals or F1's I had before.
Outright grip is maybe slightly worse than F1's, but I reckon I'm faster on them, especially in the wet.
This is bacause the F1's would grip well, then let go suddenly.
So finding the limit was hard.
The Dunlop's, by comparison, slide in a nice and progressive way, giving more feel and confidence.

£100 per tyre aye.......?!

Yes the ****** weather up here means the slightest touch on the throttle and the front two and spinning away, extremely annoying!

Anyone else got suggestions before i go and blow some cash here........

In 22,000 miles I've worn out 6 tyres although had to buy 7 due to 2 punctures!

i've had 14 tyres on mine (Including the 4 it came with!) in 56k miles

and almost as many wheel bearings :)

Conti Sport Contact 2's on 17" are £112 each at Kwik Fit at the moment for 2, or £99 each for 4. Use their website and print out as instructed to take with you as the shop prices are more expensive. The reinforced are £121 and £107 each respecitvely. The 18" reinforced are £127 each for 2 or £112 for 4.

I have done 20k miles in my 3.2 on original Contis, but the fronts now need changing, with the rears on about 3mm, so will probably do all 4 together. Most is motorway or A road driving hence the decent miles I guess.

Before you commit to anywhere, go onto www.tyreshopper.co.uk

I think its National Tyres in disguise, as you just pick your tyres on there and then go to your local National depot a few days later to get them fitted.

They price-match everywhere on the web, so they should be as cheap as you can get....

I got 225-40/18 Conti SportContact 3's (the new one) for £117 a corner all in.

The man in the National tyres depot told me to go there as they are cheaper than he can quote and he even goes there for his tyres as they're cheaper than his staff discount!

You can buy cheaper tyres there if you dont want a top make....

I'm very happy with the Conti 3s compared to the previous Pirelli P0 Rossos that were on it before, but that's all I can compare....