Volks AutosEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

Parcel Shelf - Arrghh!!

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but which idiot came up with the 'rubber ball on a string' method of holding the parcel shelf?

Every other car I have ever seen has a little reel on the bottom of the shelf to coil up the cord when the boot is closed, but Audi, in their infinite wisdom came up with the little rubber ball.

"Hey what shall vee do today Hans"
    "Lets come up with a really stupid vay of annoying zee English"
    "I have zis little rubber ball that will rattle like crazy on zeir inferior bumpy roads"
    "Zehr gut, put it in zee S3"

Apologies to any Germans but DUH!! what were they thinking.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Redlined

Status
    Are you sure about that?
    Maybe it went like this instead:
    "Hans, you know that silly ball idea that S3Mike in parcel shelf design came up with?"
    "Ja. What's up?"
    "Well, it's going to rattle, isn't it?"
    " No problem Gunther. Only yesterday I submitted a design change to make the balls from rubber so that they don't rattle on those inferior English roads!"

But seriously, I don't have a problem. Are you really sure it's your parcel shelf that's rattling?
    Dave.
    2006 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-line DSG in Lava Grey.
    Symphony II, BOSE, Parking Sensor, Cruise Control.
    TomTom Go 700, Parrot 3100

Previously...
    2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Selespeed Veloce. Yum - nuff said.
    1993-2002 Eight Vauxhalls - mandatory for company scheme. Highlights were two Vectra 2.5 V6 GSi's - one of which R.I.P.
    1991 Peugeot 205 1.4 XS. On the right road, possibly the most fun of anything I've ever driven.
    1989 Talbot Horizon 1.3. Yeah, yeah, but it was fine - honest.

6th Gear

Status
    Its the direct centre of the parcel shelf that rubs on the boot lid, the bit that recesses in on the centre in the semi circle shape, it might have even worn slightly like mine has.

Someone had a link to a fix which was something like a little stick on felt strip on the boot lid which totally stopped it.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure it's the rubber ball. When I move off from a standstill or stop I get the noise.

I dropped the seats from inside and the ball knocks on the top part of the boot which is plastic rather than carpeted.

To be honest I'm not too fussed , at least I know it's not the suspension making the noise!

Savage

Status
    I also think that this design is absolutely aweful. I drive over almost 12 speed bumps in the mornings and the balls swinging about clattering into the side panels etc are incredibly annoying. It's definitely the balls as I've taped them up and the noise has stopped.
    A3 2.0T FSI S-Line

Lord of War

Status
    Members have been complaining about the rubber balls since the inception of the 8P. A few people wrapped the balls with something soft to try and reduce it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Can anyone confirm that the Sportback doesn't have the balls, but has spring loaded reels instead ?
    A3 Sportback 8V 1.4 TFSI SE

2nd Gear

Status
    Nope, my new one has a handsome pair of balls!
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Can anyone confirm that the Sportback doesn't have the balls, but has spring loaded reels instead ?
    Nope, just balls.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    Its the direct centre of the parcel shelf that rubs on the boot lid, the bit that recesses in on the centre in the semi circle shape, it might have even worn slightly like mine has.

Someone had a link to a fix which was something like a little stick on felt strip on the boot lid which totally stopped it.

Linky dinky doo

Neutral

Status
    Mine has balls but I also have the perfect solution.

See that knob on your radio, turn it clockwise until the rattle/knocking can no longer be heard

But yes it is annoying

5th Gear

Status
    i have some rattling coming from my boot area but it sounds more like a tinny plastic kind of sound rather than rubber knocking... and it doesnt sound muffled whicvh to me suggests its not inside the actual boot itself but coming from somewhere at the back of the cabin near or around the boot

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler
    Nope, my new one has a handsome pair of balls!
    Now you see the obvious response to this answer, should have been a simple ...

BALLS
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Status
    My 54-plate Sportback also has two balls, so I assume the 8P has always been like it. Haven't noticed any rattling but the clip that attaches it to the bootlid has disappeared, so the whole parcel shelf is now supported by just one cord! Hardly seems worth bothering about but I may ask next time I visit a dealer.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    My 54-plate Sportback also has two balls, so I assume the 8P has always been like it. Haven't noticed any rattling but the clip that attaches it to the bootlid has disappeared, so the whole parcel shelf is now supported by just one cord! Hardly seems worth bothering about but I may ask next time I visit a dealer.
    Its a tiny telescopic plastic plug. Costs less than a quid from the stealer. But annoyingly they had to order one in - try phoning before you go down to collect.

Off to buy some velcro now . . . .
    A3 Sportback TDI 170 Quattro, heated leather, RNS-E, GSM prep, BOSE, Open-Sky, etc.

Status
    Thanks for the tip - will give them a call!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Mellow Yellow

Status
    It's not just the Audi hatchbacks that have balls. BMW's/Mini's have them too...

I guess lots of manufacturers have them.