Tints Done!

magnus911

R8GGA
Reaction score
Website
www.it-tronics.co.uk
Hey guys, just thought I would upload pictures of the tints which I had installed this week - they're my first "mod" so be nice! Managed to beat the shop down to £180 from £240 so always worth a haggle it would seem...

PA030006.jpg

PA030004.jpg

Tints are 20% at the back and 35% at the front...

I personally would of gone abit darker on the front but it still looks good.:icon_thumright:

Nice like the shade of tint chosen, planning on getting the S3 done when I get some free time I know of an excellent chap based at Wigston, Leics that will charge only £130 due to low overheads - his work is much praised over on MKivs-forum. If anyone needs any details let me know.

Thanks guys. A lot of people told me to avoid the 'step' look by getting the same tints all round, but i think that they're close enough to not be too noticeable. Also, if the back's darker, less light comes through to the front which makes the fronts look darker than they are...well that was the idea anyway!

Now I just need some skirts and a lip spoiler...

looking not too bad, like others i prefere all the windows the same darkness in tint, mine are all at the same tint all round and i think it looks more kinda 'factory'.

Nice. Makes it look different =) in a good way!

I'm still contemplating whether to tint my Ebony Black A3 =/ What percentage is yours Robin, I want that "factory tint" look as well if i'm ever going to get it done...

I told you over and over not to get a "stepped" tint- but oh no, you had to go ahead and do what YOU wanted to do.

Never listen to me, do you? Well now that everyone's labasted you for the stepped look I hope you're happy.

:jester:

Looks good mate like it. I had 35% all round on my black A3 until I got a nice Fixed Penalty Fine of the Police on my way to work one morning :( Your not legally meant to have any in front of the B pillar now :| I've got 20% just on the rears now on my white A3.

I have an excellent company in Bristol that does £180 cash for 3 door and £240 for 5 door. His work is amongst the best I've seen and on all different cars.

SamPet you don't even have an Audi and you still haven't tinted your windows. Instead you blew the best part of a grand on those ridiculous drug-dealer wheels. Why don't you upload some photos so everyone can give you some polite comments?!

Ok Fine!

100_1030.jpg

100_1031.jpg

I think it's :hubbahubba: ....but then I would

I'm quite intrigued by the craze for tints. Is this so you can get your leg over your latest conquest without having to wait for dusk like I had to, or so everyone can all deal drugs in peace? You can't have them at the front of the car so the cameras can see you, so I can't really see any other use for them?

Twizzler said:
I'm quite intrigued by the craze for tints. Is this so you can get your leg over your latest conquest without having to wait for dusk like I had to, or so everyone can all deal drugs in peace? You can't have them at the front of the car so the cameras can see you, so I can't really see any other use for them?

The idea is for aesthetics and practicality.

They certainly look better if not drug dealer dark and are supposed to keep the car cooler in the summer by reflecting more light therefore heat and for those of us with kids a little more sun protection without the need for those awful stick on blinds.

Hmm - well, I can see an advantage from the heat-reduction point of view, but to me they just ruin the appearance of the vehicle. Some people clearly like them. Personal opinion rules here I guess.

I think, as with most mods on a car, if it is done tastefully or discreetly then almost any mod can look good. Medium tints all round look good to me but agree the black limo drug dealer look is not the best.

Just my two cents.

Cooky

Your'e not wrong! When I was 21 I can remember gleefully fitting a red and chrome silencer to my Triumph Vitesse so I could throb my way down the road. Nowadays when I get deafened by some maniac with a drainpipe for an exhaust I think noisy ******* - who'd drive that! lol

Spin140 said:
and are supposed to keep the car cooler in the summer by reflecting more light therefore heat and for those of us with kids a little more sun protection without the need for those awful stick on blinds.

That's a bit dubious that.
Unless you plan on leaving your kids in a parked car, any alleged advantage is going to be completely negated as soon as the climate control is switched on!
Even the manufacturers themselves don't push that side of it.
If they did, they'd call it something other than 'privacy glass'.
As a biker, I have a huge problem with the two-sided nature of the law surrounding this type of thing.
I'm banned from wearing anything other than a very lightly tinted visor, yet some people are driving about in cars they must struggle to see out of at night.
If a car I was ordering came with privacy glass standard, as some do,I'd pay extra to have it removed ( if possible ).
If it couldn't be removed, I'd have to seriously reconsider that car.

RobinA3 said:
looking not too bad, like others i prefere all the windows the same darkness in tint, mine are all at the same tint all round and i think it looks more kinda 'factory'.

I have the factory tints...and they aint blended at all...dark from b-pillar backwards, standard forward...

Not been mistaken for a taxi yet mind you...

bowfer said:
That's a bit dubious that.
Unless you plan on leaving your kids in a parked car, any alleged advantage is going to be completely negated as soon as the climate control is switched on!

As a biker, I have a huge problem with the two-sided nature of the law surrounding this type of thing.
I'm banned from wearing anything other than a very lightly tinted visor, yet some people are driving about in cars they must struggle to see out of at night.

Well the leather (in summer) in the back is definitely cooler than in the front, and I have to put that down to the glass...no air con will cool that down quickly or stop it burning little kids legs...

Which two-sided nature of the law are you referring to?

Visors that don't let enough light in are illegal, as is glass forward of the a-pillar...period...I assume I have misunderstood you?

normski said:
Visors that don't let enough light in are illegal, as is glass forward of the a-pillar...period...I assume I have misunderstood you?

Therein lies the rub though, doesn't it?
I'd have thought side vision was just as important as forward vision, given that a large proportion of accidents take place at junctions.
Yet chav-Charlie can have black-as-**** windows down the side of his motor.
Maybe tinted visors are legal if I just look sideways all the time?

normski said:

He means B Pillar. The driver's and passenger's window must allow 70% of light through, and most manufacturers (even if they don't specify tinted glass) allow that amount through, so effectively any tint you put on the front windows is illegal. You can have anything you like further back.

Bowfer, have you been in a car with tints? I have tints which allow 20% light through and at night you can't see into the car at all, but when i'm inside I can see out perfectly...

Magnus, With respect you can't see out 'perfectly'. Your eyes will attempt to compensate for the reduced light level as you look out of the tints. However, the dynamic range over which your eyes can now compensate will be reduced - because only 20% of the available light is passed to them.

magnus911 said:
He means B Pillar. The driver's and passenger's window must allow 70% of light through, and most manufacturers (even if they don't specify tinted glass) allow that amount through, so effectively any tint you put on the front windows is illegal. You can have anything you like further back.

Bowfer, have you been in a car with tints? I have tints which allow 20% light through and at night you can't see into the car at all, but when i'm inside I can see out perfectly...

I did actually mean the a-pillar (has to let 75% light through)...but you're right , the sides infront of the b-pillar have to let 70% through...

As far as I am aware, helmet visors only have to let 50% light through to be legal (with the approp. BS marks)...

Twizzler said:
Magnus, With respect you can't see out 'perfectly'. .

Sorry, what I meant was I can see everything clearly, even at night. I.e. There's nothing I can't see because of the tints. I'm not more likely to hit something because I haven't seen it.

I really think the laws concerning dark tints at the front are more to do with the police wanting to see people on their phone and eating kitkats than the effect they have on visibility. Fits with their general approach to motorists doesn't it?

:whip:

The cameras need to see who is driving. Too many people blaming it on there wives and secretaries etc.