2.0Tdi (170) or 2.0TFSI

kiama42

Reaction score
Hi folks, the time has come for a change in car, i currently drive an 04 A3 2.0FSI sport, and i want something with more oomph! I have read several threads comparing diesel and petrol, but i want to simply focus on these 2 models.
I do around 16K a year and is a private purchase.

What shall i do!??

any comments will be much appreciated!

Impossible to answer that really. Work out how much you'll save getting the diesel, based on the car prices and average costs of fuel and then decide if the savings are worth it.

Of course you'd always go with the petrol if all things were equal, it's just case of how much you'd want to save to offset this and get the diesel really :)

Having driven a 2.0FSI on many an occasion,either engine is going to feel like a jet !
Personally,I'd struggle to go back to a petrol because of the tank range.
I got sick to the back teeth of filling up my 1.8T golf every 250 miles.
I can get 500+ miles between refills now.
Aberdeen to Manchester on one tank,with some left over.
It makes a helluva difference to your journey times,it really does.
If you're a low mileage driver,the difference can be even more marked.
My wife is lucky if she has to fill up her turbo diesel Clio once a month.
It's great.

Go for the 170 as its a private purchase better residuals when its time to let go,as bowfer says 500+ miles between fill up and they go like the clappers when you feel like it.

Cheers guys, i think the fuel savings will be what sways me to the tdi, i find im always refueling in my 2.0fsi so the Tfsi will must be a shocker!

Also good point from motorbikez about the resale value!

Thanks again!

The 2.0T is a great engine, strong torque right across the rev range, very smooth and refined, and not too bad for economy considering the performance. I get 29-30mpg on short journeys to and from work, and anything up to 39mpg on long runs.

That said, I was given a 170 as a loaner once, and thought it was excellent - very similar in character to the 2.0T actually. However, you may want to check out the infamous '170 story so far thread' first.....

That said, I was given a 170 as a loaner once, and thought it was excellent - very similar in character to the 2.0T actually. However, you may want to check out the infamous '170 story so far thread' first.....[/quote]

Thats a valid point 47% of 170 owners on this forum have had or have some issues with dpf I'm one of the 53% who have no problems and am very happy with the car.Fuel consumption gets better and better as miles clock up.I was a little dissapointed with fuel consumption at first averaging 37mpg but now after 7k miles averaging 44mpg.Seemed to get alot better mpg after 5k miles.

44mpg for me too after 9,000 miles in a 170 TDI since March. No issues with mine either (apart from about 2 litres of oil).

I've not had to put a drop of oil in mine yet, previous 140 tdi I had used 1 litre per 10k miles which I thought was reasonable.

Got to be petrol everytime for me, 20TFSI engine is a cracker a huge improvement on the 20FSI smooth powerful and its not that bad on fuel.If you went 2 wheel drive it would make a pretty economical car, I had a Quattro and averaged 35mpg on a touring holiday of scotland which is not bad. Personally cant stand the noise and smell from a diesel.

Mark

We have had 2005 2.oTQuattro sportback from new, great car, borrowing an S3 this weekend and that is something else. Can recommend the Quattro

I have always driven diesels, last 4 cars were 3 passats followed by an A4 with 1.9 TDI in all with increasing hp up to 130. For a change I have taken 2.0TFSI, getting away from the rattle, sluggishiness and heaviness of the diesel. Economy is much poorer but the fun factor is high. TFSI is a great engine with a nice little sporty toot. It is great to be able to pull out past almost anyone else from any speed and just slide by with ease. A great asset on our poor roads in N.Ireland. TFSI with DSG is a great combination.

I can answer that question.

I just collected my new White 2.0 TFSI yesterday and drove it for 7hrs from Sussex up to Glasgow - quite simply it is amazing - its like a cruise missile.

GO FOR THE TURBO YOU WON'T REGRET IT

MJZ 6370 said:
I have always driven diesels, last 4 cars were 3 passats followed by an A4 with 1.9 TDI in all with increasing hp up to 130. For a change I have taken 2.0TFSI, getting away from the rattle, sluggishiness and heaviness of the diesel.

You can't really compare the 170 tdi with a 1.9 tdi A4 the 170 has huge amounts of torque 350nm, more than any A3 including 3.2 V6 (320nm).Put your foot to the floor in any gear over 2000 revs per min and it flies.

I do 18k miles a year and i don't regret one bit buying the 2.0TFSI even though i could have saved a few quid on fuel if i got the 170 derv!

2.0T is a brilliant engine.

No one can answer your question though, the only way you can decide properly is to drive each one and see what you think.