Flat Bottom Multi-function sterring wheel

ChrisHudson

Reaction score
Website
none
Hi there,

My first post but been reading the forum for years. Just recieved My S3 in Ibis white. Previously owned an S3 in Absolute red. I have a question about the functions on the flat bottom wheel. The track change/station change thumb wheel(on the left side) seems to be backwards in that to get to the next tack you scroll down... is this normall? Also the mode button(also on the left) doesnt seem to do anything? According to the manual it should switch between the CD/radio/ipod? It just displays 'No function' on the dash when I press it. Apart from that(Oh and the dealership didnt put the mats in the car!!!? morons) Its great and I think in most area's its a better car than the last one.)

Thanks for anyhelp anyway!

Chris

mines the same I assume its because I dont have the Ipod/phone install

Thanks guys,

Makes me feel slightly better.. (no offence to you guys) that I'm not the ownly one with a useless button on the wheel.. sigh. I dont have the bluetooth phonekit of GSM prep or whatever. I also only have the standard radio/cd. concert 3? What do i need to do to get bluetooth installed and hooked up to the steering wheel controls? or is that not possible?

Yes the button to change tracks is upside down IMO, I am pretty sure that my previous A3(8P) was the other way around...

TBH, Audi could have made a lot more of the controls on the MFSW. Mode could be used to change from CD/Radio etc, or to choose change track, change disc etc.

ChrisHudson said:
Also the mode button(also on the left) doesnt seem to do anything? According to the manual it should switch between the CD/radio/ipod? It just displays 'No function' on the dash when I press it.

The mode button only works when you have the GSM kit installed. It lets you scroll through your phones address book on the DIS.

Regards, John.

ChrisHudson said:
What do i need to do to get bluetooth installed and hooked up to the steering wheel controls? or is that not possible?

The audi bluetooth kits can be retrofitted, kufatec sell the kits for 549 Euro and there are various guys on here that will supply and fit them for you.

I actually think it is quite logic to change track scrolling down... it's like going through a list...

Pedro

Agree with newbiecrg - what on earth you're all on about, claiming the roller is upside down, is beyond me.

Scrolling down is perfectly normal to go to the next track. You scroll your mouse wheel down to move down a list in Windows after all. Even if you still maintain it's illogical then I'm afraid it has to be this way as, if you have the RNS-E, the wheel scrolls down an actual list of stations or tracks on the main display.

mitch78 said:
That's right, mode just shows no function. I've got the Dension Gateway 300 iPod adapter, which is basically the factory one but with more inputs (Dension make the factory kit) so it should work like the factory kit, and I've no phone kit either (yet).

I've been told that the standard Ipod connector does not pull the track names from the ipod which is why i didn't order it. Does the Dension kit do the same or willit display the track names?

What I don't understand is why they didn't use the right-hand scroll wheels' 'click' function to mute the stereo!

I often want to mute the sound to talk to people or whatever but have to either scroll the voume all the way down or hit the button on the stereo..

It seems the right hand 'click' does nothing..

s3mike said:
What I don't understand is why they didn't use the right-hand scroll wheels' 'click' function to mute the stereo!

I often want to mute the sound to talk to people or whatever but have to either scroll the voume all the way down or hit the button on the stereo..

i've had the same thought several times. would be a nice feature to have - can't think why none of the boffins in audi missed that one.

in relation to the upside down thing - scrolling up moves down the playlist and scrolling down moves up the playlist. i have the car 9 months now, and still get it mixed up.

i actually brought my car back to the dealer about the mode button - i assumed from what i read in the handbook that it changed from radio to cd to cd changer, etc. the dealer told me they were printing an amendment in the newer handbooks to state that you needed to have the bluetooth kit installed.

If it's that obvious that the "scrolling" should be the way it is, then the DSG gear selection is wrong...

Either up is up or up is down, but not up is up on one thing and up is down on another.

Confused. :think:

s3mike said:

Ahh but it does work if you have Sat Nav!! The right click tells the little girlie in the dashboard (who i normally have muted BTW) to speak the current instruction for you out loud when your driving.... :)

Having Bluetooth and Sat Nav all the buttoms work and with RNS-E the list on the iPod scrolls down when you rotate the wheel as expected... Very nice!

It is a puzzle though why the track names are not shown on the RNS-E, which I think is a missed trick by Audi IMHO. :ermm:

I know I'm ages late on writing on this thread but I hope some of you are still watching it.

The scroll on the MFSW is definitely not intuitive, going past my desired track on an mp3 cd causes more road rage in my car than plebs overtaking me in a 30 doing 30!

Is there a definitive guide to what the Dension Gateway 300 will support?

1. Will I get Track names in my DIS whilst using and ipod?
2. If I chose the Bluetooth option too will I be able to view my phone book from the DIS and scroll through using the BTFMFSW?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chaps,
hate to put a dampner on the issue but having installed my RNS-E last week I have begun to understand the logic behind the track up\down scroller on the wheel.

If you select CD\TV on the RNS-E you are shown a list of the tracks. To select the next track (i.e. the next one DOWN on the list), you scroll the wheel down. To select the previous track (i.e. the next one UP on the list), you scroll the wheel up.

The scroll wheel appears to have been designed to complement the RNS-E.

To add fuel to the fire on this thread I've been having a problem with the dial knob thingy on the RNS-E. When I am in a menu on the display - for example the settings screen for the radio and want to move the selection down to the next option, I keep trying to turn the knob to the right to scroll down, whereas I am supposed to turn the knob to the left to scroll down.

There does seem to be some inconsistency with the up\down, left\right configurations.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that the FBMFSW has two functions. I didnt go with the fancy satnav because i already tom-tom and bluetooth on my pda/phone. I got the luggage pack so that I could put the bluetooth gps reviever in the boot. Its attached with velcro to the underside of the parcell shelf. I'm begining to think I should have got the phone prep and the sat nav simply to make the car more complete.... O well...

I got the buckets seats and they atleast, although expensive, are worth the extra.

Let us know if they release some sort of update to allow the wheel to do more stuff..