Wheels- I don't get it!!!!!!!

sat1983

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what all the numbers mean??

What's this ET all about???

What wheels fit the A3?? Most i've seen are ET43 and ET45?? Which genuine OEM wheels scrub?

Some guy on edition 38 forum is selling genuine RS6 wheels (18") because they are scrubbing on his mk5?? Surely the arches on the mk5 golf are the same as the A3 8P?? Why would they scrub??

Don't worry maars still on for those spokes!!

sat1983 - the RS6 wheels are my old wheels, I had these on my 2004 A3 2.0 tdi sport and they fitted perfectly.

Why dont they fit on a mk5 tho- or was this an excuse on his part!

After much searching I've just got my 19s.

My OEM 18s are 7.5x18ET54 (which hopefully sat1983 will be buying).
My new 19s are 8.5x19ET48. But with the extra width I'm worried they'll stick out the front arches. Help!

maars said:
After much searching I've just got my 19s.

My OEM 18s are 7.5x18ET54 (which hopefully sat1983 will be buying).
My new 19s are 8.5x19ET48. But with the extra width I'm worried they'll stick out the front arches. Help!

Think you will find that your new wheels will stick out more by 6+25= 31mm (et diff+1j)
Might have been safer to have kept width the same then the et diff would have only been 6mm (further out) then used spacers to increase track width.
Hope they fit

Unfortunately they only came in ET48 an 8.5J width. ******.

Ouch Maars can't you try them for size asap? I would!! All this ET talk is much more difficult than I thought!

sat1983 - that's what I plan to do this weekend! Fingers crossed they'll fit otherwise they'll be up for sale pronto.

Do I gather that if they don't fit- no 20 spoke wheels for sale?:laugh:

But what does this mean, how would ET 44 or 50 fit then?? It's that i don't get!

sat1983 said:
But what does this mean, how would ET 44 or 50 fit then?? It's that i don't get!

If you look at the wheel wizard on that site and I used my 8P S3 as model of car it gives me an et of between 45-56 now I assume from that my maximum et will be 56 (anymore and the wheel/tyre combination will rub on the suspension leg)
In the perfect setting I would want to keep the centre of my wheel as near to manufactors as possible (to reduce load on bearings etc)
If I say 56 et is the most I can have (suspension leg in the way)I can move the wheel out (away from the suspension leg by using spacers,so in some cases its better to have higher et than standard)
The next issue is the bodywork I then increase wheel width (j size) which brings the wheel closer to the bodywork
Wheel supplies will try to keep the wheel centreline in the same place
so will tend to increase the et (if poss)at the same time as increasing the wheel width (j size)
Also as they change the wheel size/width on the wheel wizard the tyre width will change as well (there are again different width tyres that will safely fit the same width wheel)

I have confused myself now:hubbahubba:

sat1983 said:
Do I gather that if they don't fit- no 20 spoke wheels for sale?:laugh:

Alas, yes. But let me trial fit the 19s first!

dipstic said:
What size tyres are fitted

No supplier - they're s/h Audi 19s which I hoped would fit. I was going to run 225/35x19 tyres.

For my car 8P S3 I would assume from that wheel wizard my max wheel that would fit will have ET of 56 x 8j x19 if we then look at marrs wheels

ET of 48 poss diff of 8mm (further away from suspension leg)
8.5j against 8j diff of 13.5mm (wider nearer bodywork) so add the two together 21.5mm nearer the bodywork which means that they might rub on full lock or when loaded up or over bumps
I say might because a few minor mods to bodywork might give enough room for the wheels to clear

Just run the check on the CarBible guide:-
OLD - 225 tyre width, ET54
NEW - 225 tyre width, ET48
"The edge of the new tyre will be 6mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 6mm further out from the edge of the bodywork."

Damn I was going out for a drive :asskicking: give myself one

dipstic said:
Now add diff between 8j and 8.5j

Worse - it's the difference between 7.5J and 8.5J
Trying them this weekend.

How much do different wheels weight? Any websites with the info?
RS6 wheels?
S3 wheels?
Sport wheels?
SE wheels?
etc etc...

Which are lightest??