Bose ?

6andy69 said:
Is it easy to add bose, if you have bought the car without it?

Its not impossible, all speakers need replacing along with the sub, you'll also need to do a fair bit of wiring.

Much better to invest the money in a decent aftermarkey audio setup, it'll be easier to install and sound much better than the BOSE effort IMO.

bowfer said:
Bose aren't just known for space saving innovation.
I know what you're saying (soundwave radio / small cube speakers etc.) but it wouldn't mean anything if they sounded *****.
They sound ****** good,along with space saving innovation,surely.

No they sound OK, they only sound good when you take into account the size of the unit. So their Wave radio sounds OK as a small ghetto blaster, but sounds good as a clock radio. Same with Acoustimass. Compare it to a fairly decent system half the cost, Bose sounds average.
Bose is really for people who just want OK sound without any overhead of space. I've heard good things about their headphones, which is an excellent use of their skills as space is obviously a bif restriction, but car audio - forget it. Listen tot he DynAudio system in a Volvo, now that's an upgrade!

SteveTDCi said:
I cannot wait to remove BOSE from mine !

Nor could I.

Be interesting to hear what the new (well on the A4 and others) B & O option will sound like.

I like the idea of pop up tweeters.

Paul

AndyMac said:
I've heard good things about their headphones, which is an excellent use of their skills as space is obviously a bif restriction,

I've got a set of their little in ear head phones, can;t remeber the name, and they brilliant.

J.

The B&O system is free if you place your order for the new A4 by end of Feb 2008

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Nor could I.

Be interesting to hear what the new (well on the A4 and others) B & O option will sound like.

I like the idea of pop up tweeters.

Paul

The A4 won't have the motorised pop up tweeters.
That's the A8 only, but it's something like £5000 on that car!:scared2:

AndyMac said:
The B&O system is free if you place your order for the new A4 by end of Feb 2008

Where have you seen this? It's quoted as £525 in the brochure.

Audi dealers don't seem that clued up on the new A4, I'm trying to find the spec for the A4 S-line but nobody can tell me anything about it!

There was a left hand drive New A4 in Preston Audi last weekend, looks really good although it wasn't a UK spec car so wasn't easy to compare.

stotty2 said:
Audi dealers don't seem that clued up on the new A4, I'm trying to find the spec for the A4 S-line but nobody can tell me anything about it!

They never do, I always find it best to use the Audi germany site as they get the models first and have them on thier configorator. You dont need to speak German, but I suppose it helps, although it's not that difficult to work out.
Try this, it may be on here, if not you can bet it will be on months before the Uk site, will be german spec but at least you will be able to see the options Etc.Always found it usefull in the past.

www.audi.de

Mark

I think Volvo as Andy has already pointed out with the Dyna Audio package ( or VW too ) would be worth leaving standard or the new JAG XF that has a bowers & Wilkins setup.

I think the Audi Bose setup is pretty good, seen worse though, my BMWs and Mercedes have had the upgraded systems (HK I think), not as good as Audi.

Lexus is about the best I have heard (Mark Levinson?)

Had the new style Jag Super V8, not particularly impressed with the sound.

Thats funny the link I found no longer works, was on audi.co.uk, it was there 2 hours ago.
Luckily I saved the PDF which says:
"Current Audi owners ordering a new A4 Saloon before February 29, 2008, will
receive a Bang & Olufsen Sound System completely free of charge*. This superb system, which is designed specifically for the new A4, provides premium quality surround-sound reproduction through 14 high-performance speakers (505 Watts) with dynamic noise compensation and a 10-channel
amplifier.
Order books for the new A4 are now open: please visit www.audi.co.uk to see the downloadable price and specification guide.
*Offer valid on all orders placed by February 29, 2008 by existing Audi customers. Proof of ownership required at time of order. On standard trim level, there will be an extra cost to upgrade to a Concert radio to qualify for the Bang & Olufsen Sound System.

Yup, definitely free B+O on the new A4 to existing Audi owners.
I got a letter at home about it too.
The Mark Levinson set up in the Lexus is amazing, but expensive.
Well over a grand, I think £1500?
Volvo next best.
Bose next.

Moisty said:
I think the Audi Bose setup is pretty good, seen worse though, my BMWs and Mercedes have had the upgraded systems (HK I think), not as good as Audi.

The HK upgrade in the E46 coupe was awesome and blew the bose into the weeds, I didn't bother with the upgrade in my current car (expesnive and pants imho), just spent £100 on a self amped Infinity Sub which has helped with the sound no end.

J.

Vertigo1 said:
It used to do that on all models but BOSE-equipped cars have replaced basic GALA with AudioPilot which reacts to the ambient noise level rather than just the speed.

Works really well actually - you can hear it adjusting the volume depending on the amount of road noise as you drive over different surfaces.

Does anyone elses BOSE systems get the nark and increase the volume when you've turned it down? When I adjust mine down, after a couple of seconds it increases itself a notch and you have to turn it down again, very odd and annoying

Have you got it set so that increases the volume due to the imcrease in road noise ? also with BOSE it apparently increases the volume in quite pieces of music, it should tell you in the radio handbook, its there .. I only read it 2 hours ago !

marriedblonde said:
The HK upgrade in the E46 coupe was awesome and blew the bose into the weedsJ.

Very surprised with that comment. Just shows how different people can have very different opinions. No wonder manufacturers of sound systems have their work cut out!

SteveTDCi said:
Have you got it set so that increases the volume due to the imcrease in road noise ? also with BOSE it apparently increases the volume in quite pieces of music, it should tell you in the radio handbook, its there .. I only read it 2 hours ago !

Naah, as far as I know there is no setting for this, I'll turn it down to a level where I cna hear someone talking to me but it then increased itself a little, no difference in speed/roadnoise etc

bowfer said:
Yup, definitely free B+O on the new A4 to existing Audi owners.
I got a letter at home about it too.

Bowfer, where have you seen this about the free B+O upgrade, I can't find it anywhere and I'm seriously considering a new A4, any chance you could pass me the details?

marriedblonde said:
I didn't bother with the upgrade in my current car (expesnive and pants imho), just spent £100 on a self amped Infinity Sub which has helped with the sound no end.J.

In the manner of a Grease extra..."tell me more"
You've got the 'professional' set-up, yes?
Was your car pre-wired for a sub, or did you have to rip sh*t up?

bacardi said:
Naah, as far as I know there is no setting for this, I'll turn it down to a level where I cna hear someone talking to me but it then increased itself a little, no difference in speed/roadnoise etc

I think it also adjusts for ambient noise in the car also, so if there is noise in the car then the volume would raise?

bacardi said:
Does anyone elses BOSE systems get the nark and increase the volume when you've turned it down? When I adjust mine down, after a couple of seconds it increases itself a notch and you have to turn it down again, very odd and annoying

Mine does this too. It's most noticeable first thing in the morning, just after I pull off the drive, it turns it's self up a little. I might try and turn it off next time I have the vagcom plugged in.

phantom said:
My wife had a Mark Levinson set up in her Lexus, 11 speakers inc two subs , the sound was crystal clear , but just not dynamic! the bass was up full and it still wasn't enough! i think Bose is better for the car!

p

Bose is great, had it free in an A4. Not sure it's worth the extra dosh though, rather spend it on something more useful.

JohnS3 said:
Mine does this too. It's most noticeable first thing in the morning, just after I pull off the drive, it turns it's self up a little. I might try and turn it off next time I have the vagcom plugged in.

If you have any luck with this please let me know, Need an excuse to buy a cable :)